Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Am i crazy??? Contemplating 5 weekend trips to Europe to make 1K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am i crazy??? Contemplating 5 weekend trips to Europe to make 1K

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by hrada2020
Comments please....want to know if I'm crazy or just manic today...

HR
You're not crazy. Go for it!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: Sexy UA 1K
Welcome to FT...

Perhaps for this year you want to try 1P first since you are a 2P now. This is the way I did it. I started reading FT last summer and at that point, I had been a 2P for a couple of years. Last year, I learned about Mileage Runs and hit 1P. Being a 1P is really nice since you have access to exit row seating at booking time and such. Also, you get 100% bonus for RDM.

Earlier this year, I did 3-4 West coast MR (My base airports are JFK and EWR) and already had 1P under my belt. In September, I realized that I have a conference trip to HKG in Dec. and so I decided to do 5 more west coast runs to hit 1K. So far, 3 down, 2 more to go.

Doing MR is very physically challanging, because lots of things could happen. If you have a very tight connections, a delay could cause a cascade to the rest of your itinerary. By doing MR, I actually learned, gradually, how to handle these situations and so when I was traveling with my friends and when Oops happens, my friends were usually very surprised by my knowledge on how to handle things...

Maybe you want to try 1P first and then if you decide you physically can handle MRs, your next challange will be hitting 1K. ^

P.S. I just came back from a same day domestic MR (less than 24 hours) that raked in 6K EQM for me. I did not get good sleep for 2 days already because of the MR and now am typing with my hands shaking...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
...see soccer games...
I did similar last year. Got to see Man. City at Fulham in Nov. Generally you can get walkup tickets (~40 quid) at Craven Cottage if the visiting team is outside of the top 5. If you want to see Chelsea it'll cost you more than the airfare. YMMV.

These were "United Escapes".
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:21 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
hrada2020,

I would either do the trips to Europe, Singapore, Asia, or whatever combination you think is best with this. At least with these trips, you should stay for a few days and enjoy the places to where you are travelling. I think doing the trips to PHX will be more expensive and unpleasant.

To calculate mileage for your flights, you should first download a copy of the united timetable. Check the united.com website for your bookings and click on the flight details to double verify how many miles each flight is awarded.

http://www.uatimetable.com/United.pd...+timetable+PDF.

Also, consider travelling to different hubs to increase your miles earned. Remember, you can purchase two separate tickets if some segments make the prices go way higher.

The major united hubs for international travel are SFO, LAX, ORD, and IAD. The SIN flights depart either SFO, LAX, ORD, or IAD, and they connect through either NRT or HKG. For example, fly DEN-ORD, then ORD-NRT-SIN. Another option, DEN-IAD, IAD-NRT-SIN. So buy a DEN-IAD ticket, then a separate IAD-SIN ticket. You can come up with many variations of this.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

We would each get 6 swu for next year which would be 3 upgraded rountrips. Big savings.

Comments please....want to know if I'm crazy or just manic today...
When I first joined FT over 6 years back I too wondered if I was crazy to sit on UA planes more than I needed just to get 1K card and those 6 x SWU. (well that year it was 12 x SWU due to a Ft discovered 'glitch'!)

I had never sat on a UA plane in my life until that point.

Have done the same every year since, all on leisure travel, all on my own dime and am locked in as 1K to Feb 2008.

Do it -- but be as creative as you can with the routing. @:-)

Hint - DO the long hauls - buy some Temezepan and you'll not even remember the 14.5 hour flights.

2 x well planned RT to OZ get you very close under double EQM (well over 80,000) even if you have zippo flown miles already.

1K ain't what it used to be - a mere shadow of 2000/2001, but still worth getting.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:33 pm

Dear OP, as many have pointed out, while the economics may make sense in your five weekend trips to EU for soccer games and attainment of 1K membership, the biggest factor in determining the value of these mileage runs lies in your travel patterns for next year. 1K membership, aside from lovely SWUS and CR1s, shines more with increased level of travel and at irregular operations (which will increase with increasing level of travels on UA flights). While some would say that 1K level customer service on irregular ops isn't much different from 2P or 1P, from my own experience, it has been a significant difference. Having traveled two consecutive years with more than 100K miles each year, I have had a fair share of irregular ops and customer service issues and the 1K desk and agents have done pretty good job of straightening things out.

Also, I would like to advise you that SWUs, while it is suggested as confirmed upgrades, as you may know, they are capacity controlled. So, it means that sometimes you may not be upgraded due to fully check-in C cabin. Hence, the determining factor or whether or not you are able to use up your SWUs also depends on your travel pattern: the more you have a chance to fly UA, the more you are likely to use your SWUs.

So, here's my advice. If you foresee significant increase in your travels next year, that could at least get you to 1P, then the economics favor you to spend 7K or so to make 1K this year. Meanwhile, if you are going to travel about the same level as this year and only make 2P or lower, then the economics do not justify (in my opinion) in spending 7K just to attain the elite membership. In this latter case, it may be better to spend 7K on other things that may increase your utility!

Nonetheless, this is FT and there are many folks who think similarly like yourself, constantly pondering about MRs and mileage earnings. That includes myself. So, it's perfectly normal to even consider doing this so-called "crazy" MR. By the way, I love the fact that you think about at least staying a day or two to see a soccer (football) game. ^ You can find some MRunners who do just consecutive flights and never step a food in the destination city... which is a most extreme case of mileage runs. That can be really tiring on your body.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Last question........
If i begin booking the 8 days of 3 r/t's each day to SLC from Denver with United in order to get the prices from $138 over the $150 limit for the promo...will this pull up a red flag from United. In other words...would they tell me I cant do this?
HR
No. Worst case if they do error checking you might get a call/email querying whether you have made a mistake and need to cancel some of the bookings. I do not know if UA does this, but some airlines do.

Airline: "Kiwi Flyer, we noticed you have 3 same day round trips on Saturday ... and another 3 on Sunday. And the same the following weekend. We thought maybe you had problems with your bookings so let us know which ones to cancel and which to keep."

Me: "Thats okay, they are all correct. Please keep them all."

Airline: "Huh. Ahh okay."

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
Originally Posted by ozstamps
... buy some Temezepan...

Better: Temazepam.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem Ex, Centurion
OK....first thanks for all the advice....
I will be doing alot more flying next year and then less and less...kids on the horizon and my wife and I want to see the world prior to having little ones.
So i have narrowed it down to two options

#1 segment runs
Doing 12 days of segment runs to SLC from Denver. Doing 2 r/t a day. Flights
Den-slc 8:42-10:04
slc-den 11:28-12:49
Den-slc 1:55-3:17
slc-den 4:25-5:42

I would do 6 days..day off and then 6 days. This would get me the 3 X C class ticket international(would take the miles 90,000 each) due to the Denver promo and the 1K status with with double eqm's. Pro is that I get to sleep at home everynight as I live 25 minutes from the airport. Would be just like going to work....but maybe more interesting....
Cost roughly $4750 (assuming average ticket cost of $190 X 25) plus promo cost $499. Comes out to 1.75 cents a mile assuming I would get 300,000 miles total with 1K as a side note.

#2 MR runs

5 MR to Europe. Have one planed in Dec. So would leave me 4 to do and would need to go Den-SFO-LHR and back to get the miles on the 4 runs. Cost roughly $700 each ticket...so roughly $3500 plus $499 for promo. I would have 50,000 miles and 1K status which comes to 8 cents a mile. I would sleep on planes and be away from home...get to see soccer games though....of course i may fall asleep... Total travel time is roughly 3 days for each run so also 12 days of travel.

#3 Do nothing.

I have 180000 miles on UA right now and maybe I just use them for 2 C class tickets to Europe for my trip in December for my wife and I. Cost= nothing. But will not have the encouragement to travel as much because will be flying in the back of the plane.... My flying is all for pleasure..not business related.

Well.....any comments appreciated as I will make a decision by the end of the day...would have to start segment runs on Tuesday in order to get them done before Nov 15th when promo ends. Work and the money are not issues...well work is not an issue...money...less you spend I guess the better.

Thanks in advance

HR
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:20 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Salt Lake/DYMTWTU. No questions asked. At only two r/ts a day (I assumed you were planning to do three, which is painful (but which you may want to consider doing to save yourself some time) this is not so bad. Plus you can use e-500s to upgrade your first and last flights of the day or something like that. I'd go for it. Good luck and keep us informed!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: WN A-List
By any objective measure you are nuts to even be considering spending thousands of dollars and two weeks of your life attaining status. If you do the Europe runs don't forget the cost of taxi, food and hotel (and entertainment.) Why not just buy discount C tickets next year and use miles for the other trips? Start churning United Visa's to get more miles.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:48 pm

If you only travel for pleasure, and have 7K to spend on status - why waste it on MR? Just use option 3, and then use the 7K for travel next year. Since you are not a business travel, and have extra cash, I would say status is pretty much worthless, or worth very very little, to you. If you need premium tickets, just buy them. With the prices I have seen on the "good deal premium fare" thread, I would say 7K could get you some decent premium flights - and you wouldn't have to "slum it" with upgrades or miles!

ChrisR

OK....first thanks for all the advice....
I will be doing alot more flying next year and then less and less...kids on the horizon and my wife and I want to see the world prior to having little ones.
So i have narrowed it down to two options

#1 segment runs
Doing 12 days of segment runs to SLC from Denver. Doing 2 r/t a day. Flights
Den-slc 8:42-10:04
slc-den 11:28-12:49
Den-slc 1:55-3:17
slc-den 4:25-5:42

I would do 6 days..day off and then 6 days. This would get me the 3 X C class ticket international(would take the miles 90,000 each) due to the Denver promo and the 1K status with with double eqm's. Pro is that I get to sleep at home everynight as I live 25 minutes from the airport. Would be just like going to work....but maybe more interesting....
Cost roughly $4750 (assuming average ticket cost of $190 X 25) plus promo cost $499. Comes out to 1.75 cents a mile assuming I would get 300,000 miles total with 1K as a side note.

#2 MR runs

5 MR to Europe. Have one planed in Dec. So would leave me 4 to do and would need to go Den-SFO-LHR and back to get the miles on the 4 runs. Cost roughly $700 each ticket...so roughly $3500 plus $499 for promo. I would have 50,000 miles and 1K status which comes to 8 cents a mile. I would sleep on planes and be away from home...get to see soccer games though....of course i may fall asleep... Total travel time is roughly 3 days for each run so also 12 days of travel.

#3 Do nothing.

I have 180000 miles on UA right now and maybe I just use them for 2 C class tickets to Europe for my trip in December for my wife and I. Cost= nothing. But will not have the encouragement to travel as much because will be flying in the back of the plane.... My flying is all for pleasure..not business related.

Well.....any comments appreciated as I will make a decision by the end of the day...would have to start segment runs on Tuesday in order to get them done before Nov 15th when promo ends. Work and the money are not issues...well work is not an issue...money...less you spend I guess the better.

Thanks in advance

HR
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

The rule for the double eqm promotion says

Qualifying travel must be posted to Mileage Plus account to qualify for the offer on/before December 31, 2006. Offer valid on flights operated by United, United Express®, and Ted only and not applicable on United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers.

Does a flight to SLC from DIA count if it is united express/operated by skywest?

Thanks
HR
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:17 am

Yes. Those regional partners are considered UA metal as long as they are United Express flights.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:40 am
Original Poster

So just to cover all my bases United, united express/operated by SKywest, and Ted (operated by United for Ted) are all UA metal and not codeshare.
Just want to make sure I dont go through this only to be caught on a detail....
Thanks
HR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.