Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Am i crazy??? Contemplating 5 weekend trips to Europe to make 1K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am i crazy??? Contemplating 5 weekend trips to Europe to make 1K

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem Ex, Centurion
Found a glitch in my plan.....the minimum amount for the tickets in order for them to qualify for the double segments to denver is $150....AHHHH the tickets to Salt lake City are too cheap. Never thought I would say that.
HR
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

You might consider Lithium
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Lithium....what airline is that?

Just kidding....i save that for the downward ride of the rollercoaster...lol
HR
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by hrada2020
Found a glitch in my plan.....the minimum amount for the tickets in order for them to qualify for the double segments to denver is $150....AHHHH the tickets to Salt lake City are too cheap. Never thought I would say that.
HR
As I recall, some FTers found fares just slightly above $150 by "upfaring" one segment (i.e. if you could fly each direction on T fares for a total RT fare of$142, you might be able to fly on a T fare in one direction and an S fare (slightly more expensive) in the other, bringing the fare just over the $150 mark. You'd need to call UAL to do so, but it's worth a shot.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:59 pm
pod

Programs: UA 1K (MM)
Not that I wouldn't consider it, but doesn't 5 R/T's in coach to gain 3 R/T's in business seem a little illogical? I'd only consider it if you're looking for the other benny's and not the swu's.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by pod
Not that I wouldn't consider it, but doesn't 5 R/T's in coach to gain 3 R/T's in business seem a little illogical? I'd only consider it if you're looking for the other benny's and not the swu's.
I think you'll see from the first postings that the OP is primarily concerned with getting 1K status. The bennies from the Denver offer just sweeten the deal.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:35 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by fzwinter
As I recall, some FTers found fares just slightly above $150 by "upfaring" one segment (i.e. if you could fly each direction on T fares for a total RT fare of$142, you might be able to fly on a T fare in one direction and an S fare (slightly more expensive) in the other, bringing the fare just over the $150 mark. You'd need to call UAL to do so, but it's worth a shot.
Thats what I did to get the DEN-SLC at $158
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Still doing analysis....it seems the best flights for segment runs would be PHX since the SLC run only has 2 runs a day that would work inorder to stay on UA metal. Where PHX i could get 3 in a day. Any other ideas for segment runs? The cost looks about $160 per r/t and i would need 25 r/t. So about $4000 plus the $495 cost. So $4495 would get me 1K, plus 3x C class upgrades or 90,000 miles which ever I choose. I would take around 12 days of flying doing either 2 flights a day or 8 days of 3 flights a day.

If i just decide to do MR runs with miles instead of segments...any ideas how i could route flight to europe from Denver through LAX or SFO? In other words where do you go to book these flights. If i did 2 runs from Denver to Europe through LAX or SFO it would give me around 26000 and i could do a singapore run for about 20,000. I have the other 4000 miles. So it would cost around $1000 for the singapore flight....and $600 each for the Europe runs. So, $2200 for flights and $495 for promotion. $2695. I get 1K but not the perks of the 3 X C class tickets for the denver promotion of segments. Also sounds like less crazy flight days. I could also take my wife on these flights and we would both get 1K status bringing the cost to $5300...not sure that matters to much since we travel together and I would be 1K. This way of getting the 1K would be more enjoyable as I would get to vacation.....but those 3 X C class tickets is tempting.

Thanks for any input....lithium is kicking in so harder to think.
HR

Last edited by hrada2020; Oct 18, 2006 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Where can i find the mileage chart for legs on UA?
Thanks
HR
There are lots of sources out there, but the only one that matters is UA's. Either (a) go to the UA site, click on "Flight Status," plug in your city pair, then click "details" to get the exact UA-calculated mileage, or (b) call M+ and ask. If you're going to be close, I'd check with UA directly.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Last question........
If i begin booking the 8 days of 3 r/t's each day to SLC from Denver with United in order to get the prices from $138 over the $150 limit for the promo...will this pull up a red flag from United. In other words...would they tell me I cant do this?
HR
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:56 pm

Last question........
If i begin booking the 8 days of 3 r/t's each day to SLC from Denver with United in order to get the prices from $138 over the $150 limit for the promo...will this pull up a red flag from United. In other words...would they tell me I cant do this?
HR
Never had an issue and booked 4 days of flying in 1hr.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jason8612
Thought of another option. Denver promo, take the 90Kmiles x 2 and with your almost 50,000 miles youd earn, and 25K from the CC signup you could use them for 2 F tickets to lets say Asia (120,000 each RT) and fly the new Singapore Airlines F (when it rolls out next year)
Current thinking is that we will not be able to redeem UA miles for the new F or C on SQ. There is thread somewhere that documents the reasons. They are splashing some previews around SIN where I am this week and the products look way hot.

Also I just learned that the SQ new F and C are being deployed new aircraft only (777-300ER and A380) serving the routes between SIN and Europe and then on LHR-SIN-SYD. SQ has not decided if they will retrofit the new F and C onto existing planes. I have also not seen any information that new F is coming to US routes, although I presume it will after some years either because they will retrofit or they will begin using the new planes on US routes. But that seems quite a number of years away.

Also recall that UA miles do not get access to more than one (old) SQ F seat per flight, although you can sometimes get a second one at a later time. But even 2 SQ spacebed C seats from USA to SIN for 90K miles each is a fantastic deal, and not impossible to book if you are patient, lucky, or flexible.

Charles
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Yes, you are crazy. I really hope that you will be legitimately flying A LOT next year to make 1K worth it. If you only fly enough to qualify for 2P next year, 1K is really a huge waste. It's benefits are being slowly but surely diulted, and I think you will find yourself out $7000 and thoroughly disappointed. This having been said, yes, 1K is MUCH better than 2P, and you may be temporarily impressed; I wouldn't do it unless you plan to do LOTS of legitimate flying next year.

Originally Posted by jason8612
...you could use them for 2 F tickets to lets say Asia (120,000 each RT) and fly the new Singapore Airlines F (when it rolls out next year)
Cute, but two quick points. A) It'll be rolled out in December of this year (I figure it was supposed to coincide with the first flight of the A380, and SQ didn't want to wait until 2072), and B), SQ has already told KrisFlyer members that C and F awards in the new premium classes will only be available as Standard Awards; members of partner carriers' mileage programs cannot book Standard Awards as a general statement. Translation: wave bye-bye to SQ C and F awards for MP members.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Yes, you are crazy. I really hope that you will be legitimately flying A LOT next year to make 1K worth it. If you only fly enough to qualify for 2P next year, 1K is really a huge waste. It's benefits are being slowly but surely diulted, and I think you will find yourself out $7000 and thoroughly disappointed. This having been said, yes, 1K is MUCH better than 2P, and you may be temporarily impressed; I wouldn't do it unless you plan to do LOTS of legitimate flying next year.

Cute, but two quick points. A) It'll be rolled out in December of this year (I figure it was supposed to coincide with the first flight of the A380, and SQ didn't want to wait until 2072), and B), SQ has already told KrisFlyer members that C and F awards in the new premium classes will only be available as Standard Awards; members of partner carriers' mileage programs cannot book Standard Awards as a general statement. Translation: wave bye-bye to SQ C and F awards for MP members.
oh
I really wanted to relax with a 23" LCD on that comfy looking bed with a nice comforter and good food.

Oh well, ill have to settle for the old SQ (which is still newer than UA )

Well its 170K for a saver F from europe to asia via USA. So what about flying out to europe to FRA in E, using the SWUs to get to C and spend time in europe, fly LH first from FRA to USA. stopover in USA for a bit, and then fly SQ (even if its old) F to asia?

Last edited by jason8612; Oct 18, 2006 at 3:24 pm
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Yes, you are crazy. I really hope that you will be legitimately flying A LOT next year to make 1K worth it. If you only fly enough to qualify for 2P next year, ....... This having been said, yes, 1K is MUCH better than 2P, and you may be temporarily impressed; I wouldn't do it unless you plan to do LOTS of legitimate flying next year.
I agree stevenshev this is the key here

I am a premier on UA....and want 1K. Not really sure why but feeling crazy.
Gives me the impression that it would not be worth it certainly if it means all that flying in Y. The fact that hrada2020 is prepared to do that much flying in Y (to gain status) suggests to me that Y is not such a negative experience for the OP

Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.