Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrade to other instruments [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrade to other instruments [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Sorry if this question has been asked already.I have 2 SWU on reserve that are confirmed Y>C (15a 15a). LAX-BKK.A friend of mine has 2 SWU he will gift to me.Now I know this can be done.But when I remove my SWU and substitute his will I go to the back of the bus and lose my seats till the new SWU clear??(at the moment there is no more confirmed upgrade availiable)
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG, BA
Change upgrade type at checkin?

Ok, so I have a confirmed u/g with a CR1 for a flight that is wide open in First.

My question is, when I checkin for the flight, can I somehow opt to have e500's pulled instead of a CR1?

Will a chicken be able to do it or will I need to see a human?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
500's take precedence over CR-1's so they will happily switch it. Doing it the other way is more capacity controlled.

Definitely can do it via Chicken.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
Ok, so I have a confirmed u/g with a CR1 for a flight that is wide open in First.

My question is, when I checkin for the flight, can I somehow opt to have e500's pulled instead of a CR1?

Will a chicken be able to do it or will I need to see a human?
You may have a chance if the upgrade wasn't confirmed prior to the opening of your e-500 window.

Originally Posted by Wiggums
500's take precedence over CR-1's so they will happily switch it. Doing it the other way is more capacity controlled.

Definitely can do it via Chicken.
You've got it backwards: You can always switch from non-confirmable upgrades to confirmable ones. It's more difficult, and sometimes impossible, to do it the other way around.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Wiggums
500's take precedence over CR-1's so they will happily switch it.
Other way around. CR-1s are confirmed instruments, and e-500s are not. The only way you should be allowed to switch from a confirmed to a non-confirmable instrument would be to cancel your confirmed upgrade, which puts you back in Y, then request a new upgrade with the e-500s (behind everybody else).
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I've been able to switch from a CR-1 to e-500s using OLCI.

However, I'm almost certain the upgrade didn't clear until after my e-500 window opened. This is the one and only occasion I've seen this option.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I'm pretty sure you need to see a human being.

This kind of swap is frowned upon. The reason is that one could reserve an upgrade with a CR-1, clear weeks in advance, and then switch to an e500 at the last minute, thus bypassing the e500 window. Many GAs will drop you from the u/g list using CR-1's, and add you again using e500's - so you risk losing your upgrade entirely by doing this.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Many GAs will drop you from the u/g list using CR-1's, and add you again using e500's - so you risk losing your upgrade entirely by doing this.
At least the good ones will.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Ah, thanks for the correction.. I knew it was one way or the other.. my apologies!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
At least the good ones will.
As they should.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Another switching u/g from CR1 to e500 question.

So I base the use of my CR1s on the length of flight and likelyhood/unlikelyhood of the upgrade clearing at the 100 hour mark. Mostly use them on Transcon, or at a minimum to ORD from SFO.

On an upcoming trip I had confirmed the roundtrip using CR1s, but was in the 100 hour window and looked at upgrade space and it was NC9, so I figured I might as well call and see if they will switch from CR1s to e500s. The agent downgraded me and then re-requested the upgrade which then cleared. Two questions:

1. What do people think about this on a moral level?

2. How does UA view this?

As said if at the 100 hour window now seats would have been available, I would have been more than happy to use the CR1s for the trip. Also the return looks like it will be the same scenario, and am thinking about doing it again. This would mean I'd actually have to buy an upgrade kit, since I'll be short e500s, so UA would make $200, but worth it to me to have a CR1 available for future use.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I see no problem with it if upgrade space is available when you make the switch, because no one is getting screwed because of your actions. OTOH, if there would not have been upgrade space and you wanted to switch I would see a problem with it.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I don't have a moral objection since it's clear that you are not jeoardizing the upgrades of others in this case. The one place where you can have problems is making sure that there is Y availability in the class of service you were originally booked in. There may be Y seats, but you have to "return" to your fare bucket to get back into coach. I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and couldn't downgrade because "S" availability was sold out.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
OP, as long as you can downgrade into your ticketed class (Q, V, etc.), then I don't see a problem with it. Especially if there's upgrade space available and you're not taking away from other would-be upgraders.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2007 at 9:20 am Reason: removed deleted quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Done it myself when it still showed 9s 24-hours out when every other elite would've already cleared the list.

What would be a moral issue (to me) is locking in the upgrade in advance using the CR1, upgrade availability being 0, and then asking the GA to swap instruments for 500s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.