FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrade to other instruments [Merged]
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:13 am
SF1K

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Another switching u/g from CR1 to e500 question.

So I base the use of my CR1s on the length of flight and likelyhood/unlikelyhood of the upgrade clearing at the 100 hour mark. Mostly use them on Transcon, or at a minimum to ORD from SFO.

On an upcoming trip I had confirmed the roundtrip using CR1s, but was in the 100 hour window and looked at upgrade space and it was NC9, so I figured I might as well call and see if they will switch from CR1s to e500s. The agent downgraded me and then re-requested the upgrade which then cleared. Two questions:

1. What do people think about this on a moral level?

2. How does UA view this?

As said if at the 100 hour window now seats would have been available, I would have been more than happy to use the CR1s for the trip. Also the return looks like it will be the same scenario, and am thinking about doing it again. This would mean I'd actually have to buy an upgrade kit, since I'll be short e500s, so UA would make $200, but worth it to me to have a CR1 available for future use.

Thoughts?