Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Advice: Possible response to weird, bad experience at SFO int'l first class lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Possible response to weird, bad experience at SFO int'l first class lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggums
However, they gave us an "exception" since I was the guest of my boss.
That does not sound like an exception. You were denied on the strength of your boarding card, but then entered as someone's guest.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
I am glad that Richard F got a proper response, apology and a small token of making amends. The case is illustrative of a problem in corporate America these days. With everyone's eye on the quarterly bottom line and people being ruled by the reminders of the insecurity of their jobs, lower-ranking staff, especially in management I suspect, are very uneasy showing intiative in responding to trouble cases. I have had experiences similar to Richard in dealings with other non-airline corporations, where, until my complaint or comment reached the right person's office, it was all 'corporate-speak'.

That said, I really do hope that UA at SFO puts on a workshop for its RCC agents about how to behave properly. I have never had a bad experience at SFO (and never been in the F lounge either), but I have generally had very neutral interactions with RCC staff. They don't seem to care very much as to whether one is travelling UA or not. Such a contrasts to RCC in SEA where people have even smiled!!!

Flyer 420
in Singapore still
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Please accept our deepest apologies. We have taken the liberty of upgrading you to United First, at no charge, for your return trip home....
I imagine that there will be no opportunity to access the Int'l F lounge on your return to SFO. It is too bad, since I (and probably many other FTers) would have loved to see a repeat showdown with the Matrons, with you sporting your comp upgrade! ^
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:40 pm

Thanks hugely to Ozstamps! I sent an email much along the lines he suggested and finally got the kind of response that should have been received in the first place.

Well done Ozstamps! ^
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by zrs70
Boy, this is annoying. Here's what I would do if this ever happens again:

Get your cell phone out and call reservations. Purchase a new refundable international F ticket to anywhere. Check in. Get your boarding pass. Go into the lounge. Cancell the ticket. Get a refund.
Can you actually do this when you are already checked-in for another flight?

May be a good idea for F lounge access next time if it can be done.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Hi Richard, do appreciate your many informative posts over in the Tokyo Forum

I am now satisfied with the outcome (if it works out as promised)
I would assume you already have your FC seat assignments, then?

Get your cell phone out and call reservations. Purchase a new refundable international F ticket to anywhere. Check in. Get your boarding pass. Go into the lounge. Cancell the ticket. Get a refund.

Wow, wouldn't this be double punishment... Once for UA missing out on the gate-upgrade sale and again for the credit card fees they would have to pay (if Amex its probably $300 on an international FC ticket)
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Richard, as probably one of the few here ever to have received an email from Glenn Tilton I have his email address. I'll pass it on to you, on this occasion.

If this were me that got that response above after the botch up I'd send something fairly short like this right to the top:

<snip>

I'll bet my house a letter along these lines will see you upgraded free to First on the way back, at least. Which is a $525 better outcome for you, and may get the SFO Dragons kicked up the butt at the same time - right from on high.
Great to see common sense ruled supreme on this occasion RichardinSF - and delighted my house deeds are still safe.

Both things I predicted appear to have occurred, and lets hope the kick in the butt to those matrons is still stinging, so they'll think twice before they pull this stunt on anyone else in future. To that end you have done many FT'ers flying UA First ex SFO a large favour by taking the time to write.

Bottom line, United lost $525 cash and a lot of goodwill directly due to theses stoopid staffers.

My scorecard with letter writing over the years to UA is about 99% my way I expect. One thing that is always important IMHO is to outline a realistic solution that the WRITER would be happy accepting. Saves them coming back offering you something that is not in line with your expectations. And asking for the moon is just going to get a straight bat reply most times.

Asking to be upgraded to First (gratis) on the way home was most realistic under the circumstances here, and glad to see United concurred. ^ ^ ^

Who says there are no "double upgrades?"
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by xpacific
Once for UA missing out on the gate-upgrade sale and again for the credit card fees they would have to pay (if Amex its probably $300 on an international FC ticket)
I would think that credit card fees are refunded to UA if the transaction is refunded.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just one last update: Got back from NRT yesterday and everything went as promised. People in the RCC in NRT couldn't have been nicer -- if they transplanted those folks to SFO, this problem wouldn't have arisen in the first place, I bet.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's support, and thanks to Ozstamps especially for suggesting how to word my last appeal to management. I see Oz is on a time-out from FT once again (he may hold the world's record for FT time-outs!) but I assume he'll be back again soon.

So it ended well, assuming the charge doesn't hit my credit card!, and I will be off flying UA again on a PS trans-con next Saturday.

Again, thanks all.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
(deleted, as issue of compensation is now moot)

Last edited by dhuey; Jun 12, 2005 at 11:21 pm
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

A final followup

I received my Amex bill encompassing this trip and -- big surprise -- the original $525 "upgrade" charge for the upgrade which was taken away from me was on the bill! They seem to have even lied about voiding it.

Unfortunately, we have had a major email catastrophe here at work, and I lost the email address of the manager in Chicago who put things right for me. I do have the name of the Sr. V.P. of marketing who authorized it since it is here in this thread, and I guess I should just email him (in addition to protesting the charge with Amex).

I also have a note at home signed by someone who claimed they had voided the charge, but it is handwritten and not particularly binding -- I had to accept that or not get on the plane to NRT, as you may recall if you remember the case.

It is remarkable how United can manage to set things right, and then screw up one final time. Clearly this is still the responsibility of the very same people in SFO who caused the problem in the first place, but it is pretty amazing nonetheless.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I received my Amex bill encompassing this trip and -- big surprise -- the original $525 "upgrade" charge for the upgrade which was taken away from me was on the bill! They seem to have even lied about voiding it.
Sort of the final irony, and it's opening up the old wound, isn't it?

On the same topic, fairly recently I sent an e-mail to the 1K Voice commending an employee, and in the same e-mail complained about an employee on the same flight who had been downright rude. I have e-mailed quite a number of commendations to 1K Voice but this was the first (and I hope only) time I have complained.

Interestingly, I received a very specific reply to the commendation, and in the second paragraph a form letter response to my complaint, an obvious copy and paste that didn't really address my concern - a Bedbug Letter:

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/bedbug.asp

If in future I have any serious complaints, it seems clear from the pitiful initial 1K response you received that it's best to get in touch directly with Customer Relations.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Last problem solved, and rather quickly as well -- I emailed the VP of marketing today and he personally emailed back within a few hours that he would take care of it.

There ARE many people who care at UA, the problem is just getting their attention -- but I presume it's largely due to them having other serious issues to deal with most of the time.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Last problem solved, and rather quickly as well -- I emailed the VP of marketing today and he personally emailed back within a few hours that he would take care of it.
But Richard, it ain't over till it's over. I.e., when the $525 charge is finally removed, it will be over. @:-)

In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, I urge you to dispute the charge on your Amex bill. It's easy to do; you can even submit it online --there is a "dispute a charge" link on the "recent activity" page of your account. Doing this will relieve you of the burden of paying the charge and puts the onus on United to demonstrate that it is valid.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Wow... this was a great read (except that it was at the expense of Richard)... sort of like an FT melodrama.

I am just glad that I am now empowered with the knowledge of what to do if I were ever treated this way. Thank you Richard for doing a community service ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.