Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Advice: Possible response to weird, bad experience at SFO int'l first class lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Possible response to weird, bad experience at SFO int'l first class lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:34 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Last problem solved, and rather quickly as well -- I emailed the VP of marketing today and he personally emailed back within a few hours that he would take care of it.

There ARE many people who care at UA, the problem is just getting their attention -- but I presume it's largely due to them having other serious issues to deal with most of the time.
Thanks for what I hope for your sake (and UA's) is the end of the story. ^
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It seems the only time that a serious complaint with UA gets rectified properly is that if the "victim" has the contact information of an executive or someone with clout. It is too bad that most customer service today relies on keep feeding them cut and past and hopefully they'll give up and go away.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've since gotten two further emails from UA confirming that the refund is on its way. Amex says it hasn't hit the account yet, but I am pretty confident now it will soon. KathyWdrf, you bet I challenged the charge with Amex -- I did that even BEFORE I contacted UA!

CApreppie, I don't fully agree with your comment. When I got serious about following through with UA, I didn't have any executive names other than Glenn Tilton's -- which I assume we all can get. I wrote him and the action all was initiated from that message. While obviously having an executive as a friend would help, in the absence of that I believe there were four critical factors which ultimately led to a satisfactory resolution:

(a) I had a legitimate, documented, serious, problem that was within the power of the airline to resolve.
(b) While I made it clear that I reacted emotionally, my communications were still unemotional and concise.
(c) What I asked for as compensation was reasonably proportionate to the seriousness of the problem. (thanks for the suggestion, Ozstamps!)
(d) I persisted.

Note that the resolution in my case -- a free upgrade on an international flight from business to first -- required final approval at the level of a company officer. That tells me that this is (deservedly) a significant judgment to UA, and if you are asking for this level of compensation, you need to have a serious justification to ask for it.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
While obviously having an executive as a friend would help, in the absence of that I believe there were four critical factors which ultimately led to a satisfactory resolution:

(a) I had a legitimate, documented, serious, problem that was within the power of the airline to resolve.
(b) While I made it clear that I reacted emotionally, my communications were still unemotional and concise.
(c) What I asked for as compensation was reasonably proportionate to the seriousness of the problem.
(d) I persisted.
This list is worth filing away for future reference! ^
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:05 pm

A big thank you to RichardinSF for sharing his horrendous story from beginning to end. Not only is it an education in dealing with mindless bureaucracies but it was good reading as well! I hope I never have to use any of the suggestions in here but like a good insurance policy they're good to have on hand for a rainy day.

By the way, what did RichardinSF mean about ozstamps being on a "time out" from FT -- is that FT's version of making you sit in the corner for talking back to the teacher or is he just sick of us and taking a vacation for a little while?

P.S. DH and I are flying SFO to LHR next week on XF tickets -- we'll be sure to extend our love and best wishes to the dragon matrons from everyone here
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The former.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:25 am

Lol!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
This list is worth filing away for future reference! ^
Not only is the list worthwhile for filing away, but Ozstamps letter is perfectly well written and can be adjusted based on the situation. It contains not only the complaint information but also a commendation of the company (a version of the old adage that it's better to attract flies with honey than vinegar).
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:43 am

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by my2cents
By the way, what did RichardinSF mean about ozstamps being on a "time out" from FT -- is that FT's version of making you sit in the corner for talking back to the teacher ...
Something along those lines.
Originally Posted by my2cents
P.S. DH and I are flying SFO to LHR next week on XF tickets -- we'll be sure to extend our love and best wishes to the dragon matrons from everyone here
Oh, please do
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
....a version of the old adage that it's better to attract flies with honey than vinegar....
But who in their right mind wants to ATTRACT flies?

Me, I want to repel, or even kill, them!

Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Note that the resolution in my case -- a free upgrade on an international flight from business to first -- required final approval at the level of a company officer. That tells me that this is (deservedly) a significant judgment to UA, and if you are asking for this level of compensation, you need to have a serious justification to ask for it.
But in effect your return flight was the legendary DOUBLE upgrade was it not? From paid coach to F in a 3 classer? And not only that, one not supported by any Certs.

That might have been why it needed the rubber-stamp from someone senior I'd suspect?

I feel sure the credit will come thru, and glad I could help with the email style.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-EXP, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Gold, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
OK, I didn't focus on this thread until it reached almost 150 posts and then I just had to see what all the fuss was about. Fascinating read and impressive that everyone came together and forced UA to make good.

My only comment to add to all of this is the constant refernces to no double upgrades, as if it's some sort of unbreakable commandment of UA rules and regulations. Yes, in general it's not allowed. But I, and many others here, have received op-ups from NC to F on international flights for FREE. It happens maybe not routinely, but often enough that we've all come to obsess and speculate over which flights just might get you the lucky, elusive double upgrade. So double upgrading is not impossible and in fact a part of UA's irregular operations policy.

Those of us who have received these double ups or read the threads here on FT would not be in the least bit surprised to be given a UFC offer. As many have noted, at least they're trying to get revenue first before giving it away. And if the flight was not oversold, how would we know that? I would have assumed that they were merely trying to get some cash of me before resorting to op-ups and that I was doing BOTH of us a favor. So I don't appreciate the lectures about no double upgrades, they can and do happen.

In any case, glad this worked out in the end and hope that everyone who behaved appallingly is given a good talking-to and official reprimand.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

I've since gotten two further emails from UA confirming that the refund is on its way. Amex says it hasn't hit the account yet, but I am pretty confident now it will soon.
Just curious if the upgrade charge ever did end up being credited by UA, and how long it took?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
So guys if i have upgraded a Z fare from SFO-SYD to NF with 30K miles and the $500 copay, am I stil lentitled to access the SFO United First Lounge?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Well thanks for bumping this 5 year old thread... I missed it the first time around

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.