Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would You Buy 1K Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Second, if someone wants to buy it and they don't travel much... then what is the difference. If they want to get "treated" like a 1K for a couple of flights, and spend a fortune, then more power to them.

Third, if similar to my second response, if they don't travel much, and wouldn't "earn" 1K.... they are really not flying enough to "impact" the system too much... other then giving UA a big stack of cash.
^^ If I was running MP, and I got people to give me 20K who then didn't fly all that much, that's for United - money on the balance sheet and minimal impact on certain snarky elites.

That said, I wouldn't buy it unless I knew I was going to be flying a lot the next year.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:17 am
C4T

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Frankly I wouldn't pay for any status on UA.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nomads
Hi,

I have 36,000 miles on UA (23,000 lifetime miles) and want to become 1K. Any ideas the *best* way to achieve this goal?
By the "Best Way" do you mean the fastest, the cheapest, or most comfortable?

The fastest and most comfortable way I'd suggest international first class from east coast to SIN. Three R/Ts and you will be well within reach of 1K with the first class EQM bouns.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbearmedic
I might consider buying GS...
Ditto - I'd buy GS. United: Please consider selling GS status. It's a great way to make some money and us non-GS would love it. Don't worry about existing GS, they are already locked into your program, they'll be a little upset, but what do you have to worry about? Do it! Make a change we'd like!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by reddirt14
Ditto - I'd buy GS. United: Please consider selling GS status. It's a great way to make some money and us non-GS would love it. Don't worry about existing GS, they are already locked into your program, they'll be a little upset, but what do you have to worry about? Do it! Make a change we'd like!
What if the cost of getting it was $10k? Would you still buy it?

I don't think they would ever sell GS -- I wouldn't be too surprised if they turned around and did though (since it does involve green stuff).
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
By the "Best Way" do you mean the fastest, the cheapest, or most comfortable?

The fastest and most comfortable way I'd suggest international first class from east coast to SIN. Three R/Ts and you will be well within reach of 1K with the first class EQM bouns.
And at ~$11k a trip, you'd also be well on your way to GS.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
I already did purchase 1K...by flying over 100,000 miles BIS! That's the only way it should be done.
+1 ^
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
What if the cost of getting it was $10k? Would you still buy it?
I realize you just pulled a number out of the air (in response to reddirt), but lets be realistic:

If 1K was $20K on a prepaid card 5 years ago, GS certainly would not warrant a lower price today.

How about we throw the number out there of $75K (150% of the *rumored* spend for GS).
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:06 am

I realize you just pulled a number out of the air (in response to reddirt), but lets be realistic:

If 1K was $20K on a prepaid card 5 years ago, GS certainly would not warrant a lower price today.

How about we throw the number out there of $75K (150% of the *rumored* spend for GS).
LOL -- I was trying to be extremely reasonable. P-Plat spending qualification is $30,000 so maybe $60,000?

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...lplatinum.aspx

Earnings will be based on a calendar year, starting Jan. 1, 2011. The spending qualification will be $30,000.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Mr. Smisek might really want to give this as an option too considering if Y/B trumps all the elites UDU migrate from CO to COUA, then the 1K UDU rate would go down, but the airline itself is making $$ out of people who want status even without stepping into the plane.

This is a great business strategy, similar as Elite Maximizer, to maximize the profit without virtually taking any kind of financial risks (IRROPS, layover/hotel comp vouchers, VDBs, rebookings etc.)
Well the faster Smisek kicks some butts in UA to pay some attention to pre-clearing Y/B upgrades 3 days out long haul, the better.

Sat for 10 hours today EZE-IAD in B non upgraded, and am now looking at 14 hours tonight LAX-SYD non-upgraded, also in B class.

My worse track record in 11 years as a million miler 1K, whch seems to mean zero these days to Smisek, even when you buy top of tree fare buckets.

Really can't see why I bother to get 1K - may as well spend my 2 million miles on awards, and give them zero bucks.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold
To these hypotheticals, it should be added that a large upfront payment to companies that seem to revolve through bankruptcy court every few years may be ill-advised...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by edcho
I don't think they would ever sell GS -- I wouldn't be too surprised if they turned around and did though (since it does involve green stuff).
They do sell GS. Its just not direct to consumer. My Corporate travel agent told me the company gets to appoint 5 people to GS each year because we give them a certain amount of business. The GS always goes to the top execs, who always get to fly in C/F anyway, and who fly much less than us poor minions who have to buy discount economy.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Well the faster Smisek kicks some butts in UA to pay some attention to pre-clearing Y/B upgrades 3 days out long haul, the better.

Sat for 10 hours today EZE-IAD in B non upgraded, and am now looking at 14 hours tonight LAX-SYD non-upgraded, also in B class.

My worse track record in 11 years as a million miler 1K, whch seems to mean zero these days to Smisek, even when you buy top of tree fare buckets.

Really can't see why I bother to get 1K - may as well spend my 2 million miles on awards, and give them zero bucks.
You are either having a stretch of bad luck, or I'm having a stretch of uncommon good luck. I'm 8 for 10 on upgrades as a 1P over the last 4 months, and I'm 6 for 6 on international flights.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
HELL NO! As many have already stated, you should earn your status!

Selling of status is why I left US Worstways
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Right, but that $20k comes with $20k of flying. If you're talking a la carte, presumably it would be less. You'd have to calculate the "breakage" rate on that $20k expected by United to get the actual price--it's probably more in the $5-8k range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.