Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would You Buy 1K Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: *G
i wouldnt buy it, but i would welcome it

people who dont fly that often hand over cash to UA ? why not ? more profits hopefully brings better service
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's even possible to get United to pay you to hit 1K...
I guess you could if you complaint enough on top of VDBs at every chance you can like when Aloha went bust.

Whether it is right or not, I will buy if the price is right. I assume everyone will do the same. It is no different than the way UA offering Premiere Access right now.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
It would not "bother" me, provided it was much like the prepaid offer, and not "given" away (ala ToD upgrades).

First, status is basically sold now... Its called buying a full F ticket.

Second, if someone wants to buy it and they don't travel much... then what is the difference. If they want to get "treated" like a 1K for a couple of flights, and spend a fortune, then more power to them.

Third, if similar to my second response, if they don't travel much, and wouldn't "earn" 1K.... they are really not flying enough to "impact" the system too much... other then giving UA a big stack of cash.
I think this analysis is spot on.

I would just add that as with most such questions in the form of "Would you like to see UA do X", where one stands tends to reflect where one sits. If you earned your status the "hard way," then you don't want to see UA give any shortcuts. If you have deep pockets, are looking to jump to UA, and plan a lot of flying in the coming year, then you would likely support the idea.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Would You Buy 1K Status?
No.

• I enjoy flying too much
  • I enjoy the challenge of flying my 100k for the lowest total amount possible
  • what would I do with my stash of Tootsie-Pops®?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Would I personally buy 1K status? Not likely, unless I was going to run a ton of segments and there wasn't a challenge offered.

Last year when I was ~6k miles short of 1k through abnormally high travel I took a mileage run for ~$260. So it was worth at least $260 for me.

This year I'll probably be ~35K short. I may run up to 75K if there a new level/CR1s but not likely all the way to 1K.

DO I feel that UA should offer 1K? Sure, like others have said, the buyers probably aren't going to fly a bunch so it's not going to disrupt the balance a much as long as it's in line with UA's other charges.

For example you can openly buy the "Economy Plus with Premier Fast Track" https://store.united.com/traveloptio...RM#prodDetails challenge $799, and after 15k you're a 2P (obviously calling and asking for a challenge is a better deal).

So I'm guessing it wouldn't be < $2500 (more likely $4k - $5k) and probably wouldn't include SWUs.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:03 pm

a thought on buying 1k, and how one _might_ justify it.
Starting job with heavy international y travel. No current status. Use CO to buy 1k for $7200, thus buying 6 swus. Apply to travel, earning more SWUs. I think $1200/swu would be a poor purchase, especially with UA sometimes
upselling F for $999, but some might not feel that way....
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I think it could be compelling for UA to offer something like .04 cpm on EQMs at the end of the year for people that needed to up their status. It would eliminate the need to do MRs on slow years. US had a program similar to this when I was flying them.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
You can buy GS for around $50k - $100k. Just go find the most expensive F fare you can.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:56 pm

Mr. Smisek might really want to give this as an option too considering if Y/B trumps all the elites UDU migrate from CO to COUA, then the 1K UDU rate would go down, but the airline itself is making $$ out of people who want status even without stepping into the plane. This is a great business strategy, similar as Elite Maximizer, to maximize the profit without virtually taking any kind of financial risks(IRROPS, layover/hotel comp vouchers, VDBs, rebookings etc.)
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by goalie
No.

• I enjoy flying too much
  • I enjoy the challenge of flying my 100k for the lowest total amount possible
  • what would I do with my stash of Tootsie-Pops®?
The first two suit me fine, I'll leave number 3 to it's proper patron.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:08 pm

No. But I would probably consider flying something else because, it would also cheapen 1K.

Imagine if the Lufhansa Group sold HON status....LOL

US Airways can sell Chairmans because they are ghetto. No one can deny this.

Originally Posted by Joshua
You can buy GS for around $50k - $100k. Just go find the most expensive F fare you can.
< than $50K ought to do it. But here's the kicker : You still need to board the plane and fly the tickets. It is therefore earned by flying, BIS.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 14, 2011 at 6:37 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST
This made me laugh really hard and made my night. To be fair to US Airways, they do give us pretty cheap reward tix .
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by meFIRST
This is why I left US
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Gold 1 Million Miler, CX Gold
No! You need to fly to earn 1K.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:42 am

1K status revisited

should that be an option to buy your status rather than earning it ? I think i might have spent over 8 g to obtain my 1K status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.