Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrading compensation - it's official!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
While this will sound unpopular to some on this board, I have to agree with the "need" to modify the compensation system. I have benefited with $200 for a broken reading light or shoddy audio, yes, but it really is overpayment for a very minor issue.

However, I agree with the previous poster's example of $200 not cutting it for a broken C-seat on a lengthy intercontinental flight. The seat, in that case, is well more than half of the benefit of sitting in Business & $200 wouldn't cut it.

Instead of blindly throwing e-certs at us, it just makes (business) sense if they take the full scenario into consideration and respond appropriately (with or without comp).

I'm grateful for what I've received in the past, but realistic enough to understand the old policy was a bit faulty & is changing.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:11 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 My experience has been somewhat similar - i.e. no comp for something that was important enough for me to send a complaint, and $250 sent automatically for something that didn't bother me at all.

We can easily construct a proposal matrix for 1K voice, no, along these lines:

Domestic/International
Flight Length >2 hours/2-5 hours/6+
Nature of Problem:
Flight Delay/Cancel
Broken Seat
Broken IFE
Broken light/charger
Meal issue
Toilet
Service issue
Other

I would think UA has this already but it sounds like nobody has really given an y thought to what would make sense or be appropriate.
UA has something somewhat like this for agents at the airport.

A ton of categories, such as Baggage, Operations, Employees, etc, and then a scale of Minor, Moderate, Severe, with examples for each.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by nycvisitor
You can see (just by browsing this forum) people are/were abusing the system. It makes sense and we just have to live with that!
I concur.

AD
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite, Formerly UA 1K and Hertz President's Circle
Know what this thread tells me?
  1. UA deserved the meanest airline award or whatever it was they recently won.
  2. The airlines brought this on themselves and are their worst enemy.

Sure it's a difficult business to be in in the first place, but where are all the people with good ideas? Surely there must be employees that have recommended a review and categorization of all complaints to come up with a meaningful credit system instead of throwing money at people that complain the lamp button sticks and denying credit to those traveling overseas with a broken inflight entertainment system.

UA has been in a terrible financial condition for years, and now we get honest replies from customer service?? Airlines are run something akin to a cross between government and a telephone company. Government is fat, inefficient and employ too many useless people. Telephone companies are fat, inefficient (though they would like to think otherwise) and greedy.

Last edited by RhoadWarrior; Apr 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I will miss the compensation however it seems UA has been very generous. So i guess we knew it had to end.
Air Canada is the worst for compensation and its has the most problems a person needs compensation for. [ IFE and worst in NA for on time performance] AC's 10% off certs are used before taxes and surcharges so they are not worth the paper they are printed on.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, it isn't actually myth in that I know several of the abusers personally. Not many of the stories are told openly in these forums because most folks don't want to have their accounts shut down or be barred from the airline, but I absolutely know people who have gamed the system to repeatedly reuse the same voucher, purposefully broken aircraft to claim vouchers for broken equipment and other similar efforts. Certainly most folks do not do this, but where there is such blatant abuse of the system it does not seem completely unreasonable to put in some controls to curtail the abuse.
Seriously? That is nuts. Reusing vouchers is one thing, but vandalism is another.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:37 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by sbm12
... but I absolutely know people who have gamed the system to repeatedly reuse the same voucher, purposefully broken aircraft to claim vouchers for broken equipment and other similar efforts....
I have accidentally tried to reuse the same e-cert number online and it was always rejected. There may be a loophole somewhere but if there is please do not post how to do it. Vandalism should not be tolerated and I would think/hope the number of cases are very small.

My impression is that overall the onboard maintenance issues have improved over the last year. IFE issues used to be frequent.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by UNITED863
While this will sound unpopular to some on this board, I have to agree with the "need" to modify the compensation system. I have benefited with $200 for a broken reading light or shoddy audio, yes, but it really is overpayment for a very minor issue.

However, I agree with the previous poster's example of $200 not cutting it for a broken C-seat on a lengthy intercontinental flight. The seat, in that case, is well more than half of the benefit of sitting in Business & $200 wouldn't cut it.

Instead of blindly throwing e-certs at us, it just makes (business) sense if they take the full scenario into consideration and respond appropriately (with or without comp).

I'm grateful for what I've received in the past, but realistic enough to understand the old policy was a bit faulty & is changing.
+1. Agree fully. UA has been played the mark/fool by too many here for too long and as long as it is flying the oldest fleet in NAmerica cannot afford this generosity, particularly since the vast majority of those making these claims have bought the cheapest upgradeable fares!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by why fly
I will miss the compensation however it seems UA has been very generous. So i guess we knew it had to end.
Air Canada is the worst for compensation and its has the most problems a person needs compensation for. [ IFE and worst in NA for on time performance] AC's 10% off certs are used before taxes and surcharges so they are not worth the paper they are printed on.
You print them out? They're e-vouchers. But seriously, AC's fleet is more modern than UA's and there is actual IFE inseat on every airplane in coach except for its DASH8s. Yes, there are issues from time to time because it is a complex system, but at least it exists. Ever fly a UA 747 in coach? If it weren't for E+ I am sure most of us wouldn't be elites in this program...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The last compensation I received from Continental was a roll-aboard bag for a damaged checked bag.

Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
One observation and two comments.
  • I don't recall a single UA (pre-merger) non-1K-specific topic thread that has had so many 1K comments in such a short period of time; quite the hot button
  • I had a CO flight from EWR-TLV in paid BF earlier this year where IFE at my seat didn't work; the FA encouraged me to send a note which I did and got a nice note and a generous miles-based apology (much more than 500 miles)
  • I had a UA flight from SFO-MCO last week in Y that was delayed by more than two hours because of IRROPS and the crew gave complimentary drinks in-flight; I thought this was appropriate with no additional "compensation" required and I hope this sort of procedure will continue
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dieselbear
I had a UA flight from SFO-MCO last week in Y that was delayed by more than two hours because of IRROPS and the crew gave complimentary drinks in-flight; I thought this was appropriate with no additional "compensation" required and I hope this sort of procedure will continue
I would tend to agree with you here. A 2 hour delay (especially if the destination is non-hub, meaning most passengers aren't making a connection) isn't a huge deal. But they should do something as a token gesture - I had a 1 hour delay on a CO flight (EWR-SFO) and felt they should have given us free DirecTV. (though maybe their planes can't do that, which probably means they don't trust the crew)

However, a few months ago I had a DEN-IAD flight leave 1.5 hours late, meaning I just missed my connection (literally by seconds) and had to wait around for 5 hours. Not only did UA not do anything proactive to compensate me, they were not at all helpful on the ground either. I think a 1K in that sort of situation should at least get an RCC pass to wait it out.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
However, a few months ago I had a DEN-IAD flight leave 1.5 hours late, meaning I just missed my connection (literally by seconds) and had to wait around for 5 hours. Not only did UA not do anything proactive to compensate me, they were not at all helpful on the ground either. I think a 1K in that sort of situation should at least get an RCC pass to wait it out.
I would agree this.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:09 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Using a premium service that people pay for to get away from the crowds and to avoid the lines of misconnected customers is a bad form of compensation for those who have paid for that service. If every misconnected was let into the rcc, those that have paid for use of the rcc would have a pretty low caliber experience, fighting for space and service with the hundreds of disgruntled misconnected non-members.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fastair
Using a premium service that people pay for to get away from the crowds and to avoid the lines of misconnected customers is a bad form of compensation for those who have paid for that service. If every misconnected was let into the rcc, those that have paid for use of the rcc would have a pretty low caliber experience, fighting for space and service with the hundreds of disgruntled misconnected non-members.
I didn't say every misconnect, I said 1Ks. Maybe only 1Ks in First, then.

But I do apologize for tarnishing El Dorado with my presence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.