Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrading compensation - it's official!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Downgrading compensation - it's official!

Just received an email back from UA Customer Relations regarding a broken AV (all E seats) problem on CO operated flight. Here is an alarming extract.

Thank you for getting back to me. Please understand that I have re-visited your concerns, and I very much regret that you continue to be unhappy with us. United is in the process of redesigning our compensation guidelines and in the interest of creating a financially sound airline we will not be able to be as generous with our compensation as we have in the past. We will no longer be issuing compensation for every contact and in fact are limited compensation to 6 times per 6 month period. I am sorry for any disappointment this causes.

As your flight was on Continental and we are currently still operating as separate carriers, I have forwarded your concern regarding the entertainment system to their attention.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I wonder if its the same person who told me:

Dear Mr. Emanon:
I regret you continue to be frustrated by my response. Our responsibility in Customer Relations is not to apologize, but to report your feedback to the appropriate managers which we have done.

I realize the website states On United Express® flights longer than 760 miles (approximately two hours), United First customers will enjoy complimentary snack boxes featuring high-quality, brand-name foods however it also states times and menu items listed are subject to change or substitution.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by tkflyer
and in fact are limited compensation to 6 times per 6 month period.

Very interesting that it's not a function of travel, rather it's a fixed frequency.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
We will no longer be issuing compensation for every contact and in fact are limited compensation to 6 times per 6 month period. I am sorry for any disappointment this causes.
What about legitimate issues that occur more than six times in six months? For those of us that fly thousands of miles per year, you might run into multiple aircraft, within those six weeks, that have issues. On a run last May, I had four flights that had broken IFE, resulting in four e-certs, 3/4 of them waiting when we landed...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
What about legitimate issues that occur more than six times in six months? For those of us that fly thousands of miles per year, you might run into multiple aircraft, within those six weeks, that have issues. On a run last May, I had four flights that had broken IFE, resulting in four e-certs, 3/4 of them waiting when we landed...
I think you should view the 6 in 6 as a hard cap and an extreme upper limit. I would be stunned if you could actually get 6 instances of compensation, even if you flew two flights a day every day for 6 months. To put it simply, CO simply does not provide compensation except under EXTREME circumstances, and CO does not provide different compensation levels based on the status of the customer. It is clear to me that the merged carrier is going to the CO route vis a vis compensation. I don't think I know anyone who has gotten 2 instances of compensation from CO in 6 months, let alone 6.

Just to be clear broken IFE is unlikely to rise to the level of a compensation event on CO. Even if it did, the best you could hope for would be some miles.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
My god 6 times in 6 months? There must be some real whiners out there! I average one or two complaints per year where I actually expect some compensation because of a real problem.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
My god 6 times in 6 months? There must be some real whiners out there! I average one or two complaints per year where I actually expect some compensation because of a real problem.
No kidding. No wonder there are changes in progress!!

Most of my emails to the UA actually request no compenstation - but rather a request for a personlized repsonse that addresses my concerns and notes that the issue will be addressed.

To each their own.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just received an email back from UA Customer Relations regarding a broken AV (all E seats) problem on CO operated flight. Here is an alarming extract.

Thank you for getting back to me. Please understand that I have re-visited your concerns, and I very much regret that you continue to be unhappy with us. United is in the process of redesigning our compensation guidelines and in the interest of creating a financially sound airline we will not be able to be as generous with our compensation as we have in the past. We will no longer be issuing compensation for every contact and in fact are limited compensation to 6 times per 6 month period. I am sorry for any disappointment this causes.

As your flight was on Continental and we are currently still operating as separate carriers, I have forwarded your concern regarding the entertainment system to their attention.
Originally Posted by emanon256
I wonder if its the same person who told me:

Dear Mr. Emanon:
I regret you continue to be frustrated by my response. Our responsibility in Customer Relations is not to apologize, but to report your feedback to the appropriate managers which we have done.

I realize the website states On United Express® flights longer than 760 miles (approximately two hours), United First customers will enjoy complimentary snack boxes featuring high-quality, brand-name foods however it also states times and menu items listed are subject to change or substitution.
Let's see if they eliminate the appreciation cards...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
In some cases, however, those six times may be justified. While most of my e-certs come from skykits, or proactively, there have been cases where I could/should have asked for something, but did not.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Let's see if they eliminate the appreciation cards...
I believe that they will.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
While I think this is a bad step in the wrong direction, I can sort of see this being reined in, and we knew it was coming. There are at least a few people who are getting halfway to 1K with cert-funded MRs, so clearly it's possible to abuse the system.

On the other hand, the idea that I can fly a 12 hour flight with totally broken IFE and get nothing but "it sucks to be you" ... well, that's going to backfire. Even in the BA forum people report getting up to 35k miles for broken IFE or seats on long haul flights in C or F. And frankly, aside from the fuel surcharges, BA miles will get you farther than UA miles.

I know what some of you are going to say about frills, extras, etc, but if I wanted the "our job is to get you from A to B and you're lucky you get a seat" attitude from my airline, I'd fly Ryanair.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
There are at least a few people who are getting halfway to 1K with cert-funded MRs, so clearly it's possible to abuse the system.
a few people? Half way?

It a lot more than a few.

-David
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I wonder how they count it - Are they mixing up Customer Relations complaints with skykits?

Anyway - get whatever you can now...(providing you do have a legitimate complaints...)

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
1K and GS - Good luck...

Originally Posted by gawhite411
Just to be clear broken IFE is unlikely to rise to the level of a compensation event on CO. Even if it did, the best you could hope for would be some miles.
It is still something (better than nothing)...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:43 am

You can see (just by browsing this forum) people are/were abusing the system. It makes sense and we just have to live with that!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I do agree with 6 compensations in 6 months being excessive. I fly 2-4 segments a week, almost every week, and get 3 to 4 certificates a year.

But I also agree, if I am stuck in a long haul trans-con or trans-ocean with no IFE, I would be irked and expecting as least a few miles.

Several people in here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...1-edition.html have reported being told Sky Kits/Appreciation Cards have been discontinued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.