Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will United P.S. ever improve?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yobz
I'm surprised at the amount of complaining in this thread. The C/F cabin (I've flown F twice RT, C 3 times RT this year) are way better than any other UA F domestic cabin. Sure, it's not an intl config, but it's miles better than anything else. When flying to the west coast from home (NYC) I try doing JFK-LAX/SFO-Destination just to get onto PS.
I'm surprised myself. I flew JFK-LAX in PS C back in August (after buying RDU-JFK on AA then JFK-LAX-SJC on UA paying $500 plus 15,000 miles just to fly PS) and think it is a very good product. The seat is a little dated but still, for someone with a secret love of nostalgia, it's the last bastion of the mid-2000s UA that I loved so much left. At least in my opinion. I can't speak to PS F though, my one experience in that left a lot to be desired, but it was the 9:30 PM JFK-LAX flight which I don't think provides a fair judge of the product.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
In-N-Out solves that problem.
Not when you only have 30 minutes to connect to a flight with no meal service...

Next week we're on a breakfast flight JFK-SFO...we'll probably order snack boxes towards the end of the flight.

I mean really, it's almost a 7 hour flight and there's only one meal service?! I miss the pre-arrival snacks.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:24 pm

Personally I've never had a bad service on P.S. The most surprising part of the service is actually having some good United FA's on board. They actually seem to put competent motivated people on these things.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by as219
Not when you only have 30 minutes to connect to a flight with no meal service...

Next week we're on a breakfast flight JFK-SFO...we'll probably order snack boxes towards the end of the flight.

I mean really, it's almost a 7 hour flight and there's only one meal service?! I miss the pre-arrival snacks.
Why not just grab some snacks from the snack basket?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by justhadtosay
Personally I've never had a bad service on P.S. The most surprising part of the service is actually having some good United FA's on board. They actually seem to put competent motivated people on these things.
I can't say "never" but in the past 4 years, almost 100 PS legs, I'm very pleased with the service.

Today on 703 JFK-LAX we arrived about 45 minutes early. Before departure Capt Scott Herman walked the F & C cabins and chatted with the pax, answering any questions... and he said "No, and that's an easy answer" when I inquired if I could fly the plane for a little bit.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by as219
Note that ther used to be hot apps, warm protein added to salad course, higher-quality linens, much better wines, and a post-meal cheese board.
And port, and chocolates. Maybe socks?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
IME the crews have always been certainly better than average and sometimes down-right great. The soft product, however, has ebbed.

I do this RT about 10 times a year (always in C or F) and look forward to it each time (unlike most other domestic flights).
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rch4u
Why not just grab some snacks from the snack basket?
We do. But Sun Chips, Toblerone and a bananna don't exactly make a lunch.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Your attention, please....

With regard to UA p.s. flt. 890 today (12/16) LAX-JFK and UA p.s. flt. 703 tomorrow (12/17) JFK-LAX.....

I have it on very good authority that Channel 9 will be on with regard to ATC transmissions on both of these flights.....

Over & Out
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seems clear that most believe that ps is a basically solid service, but it is getting a little tired and needs to be spruiced up a bit. My strong suspicion is that UA will do this and turn ps into a 2-class service while upgrading C to the equivalent of intl. C as best as the 757 allows.

This is clearly a product that sells and UA has set it apart from its standard domestic F product by not engaging in UDU. The new seats would take care of the old-fashioned AVOD and adding a pre-landing snack would be a nice touch. I can't speak to
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
I've had bad service on P.S., but with over 200 flights in C flying JFK-SFO-JFK, they were less than 5% (or less than 10). Hands down, it's the best domestic product out there, IMHO.

Could it be better? of course!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
My strong suspicion is that UA will do this and turn ps into a 2-class service while upgrading C to the equivalent of intl. C as best as the 757 allows.
You know that they confirmed this on a quarterly earnings call a few months ago, right? Configuration is public and everything. Using BF seats, 26 of them I think.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: Continental
That is correct.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
RIP specialty cocktail

Say goodbye to another small detail that made PS unique
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Say goodbye to another small detail that made PS unique
Really? Was it that hard/expensive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.