Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will United P.S. ever improve?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by thetallone

I spend so much time on it that I feel like I've earned the right to... address my grievances about the service. I was frustrated recently by the fact that my wife was put at the bottom of the upgrade list while I was put at the top. Her ticket was a companion ticket (meaning that I bought it at the same time on .bomb as my own). Although she is a UA mileage plus member, she has no elite status. But on my most recent P.S. flight, I was upgraded and she was not. She is my wife, we have the same last name... why does she end up at the bottom of the upgrade list? How does UA expect that to work? When the UA representative came up to me to offer me the upgrade, I told her I had to decline unless my wife could come with me. Did she expect me to just ditch my wife in e+ and head for the high life in business? (believe me, the thought DID cross my mind).
Upgrades are given to passengers with elite status. If conditions permit, non-status pax may be given an op-up.. Just because you have the last name, that does not mean you were together. Sounds like you were on separate tickets. Does that mean that if my last name is Smith, and there are five Smith's on the flight, that they should all be upgraded?

Honestly, if your wife was on a separate PNR, there is no way that the UA rep would have know she was traveling with you.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, I think you need to compare the service to other options in the market.

I believe you can only get angled lie-flat on the route with UA in first and AA in business class (and that's when AA uses a 2-cabin 763; I believe their 762 is a barca-lounger in F). VX has a good first class, but it's not lie-flat.

Unless you're talking about the QF flight (which is not for sale), there is no true lie-flat between LAX/SFO and JFK.

So complain all you want, unless you can shell out the bucks for a private jet, you won't be getting a 180 horizontal bed.

Food is average, but is there really a domestic US airline that serves an amazing culinary spread these days? Roast beef carts and seat-side salad preparations are no more.

The media players are clunky. The alternative is watching the one video that's playing on the CRT.

Upgrades? Well, I bet if more people paid for C, we might actually get some good service out of the deal. Since we have a culture of entitlement, however, expect service levels to be minimal until a pricing model is created that can fund these dreamy desires you want.

Overall, I find p.s. to be far from NH and SQ F. Given the markets in which it operates, though, I feel it's competitive. Until something new and revolutionary is introduced, why should UA spend more than they need to?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Upgrades are given to passengers with elite status. If conditions permit, non-status pax may be given an op-up.. Just because you have the last name, that does not mean you were together. Sounds like you were on separate tickets. Does that mean that if my last name is Smith, and there are five Smith's on the flight, that they should all be upgraded?

Honestly, if your wife was on a separate PNR, there is no way that the UA rep would have know she was traveling with you.
How did we end up on separate tickets? I mean, I went to the website, booked two adults tickets, one for me, one for my wife, all in the same online session at once. Paid once, got one confirmation, etc... is there something I am missing???? This is all new information for me and I appreciate it because I was always unclear as to how companions were treated in terms of status, upgrades, etc...

I just thoughts that since I offered the 30,000 miles for both of us to be upgraded that we would end up together on the upgrade list, not soooo far apart. Literally, I was number 1 and she was number 9.

Interesting side note, although my boarding pass said PREMIER EXECUTIVE, she was ALWAYS in seating Zone 1.

As for the last names... I don't know, I figured since I booked the tickets together that they'd sort of be 'linked' in the system.

Originally Posted by UNITED959
First, I think you need to compare the service to other options in the market.

I believe you can only get angled lie-flat on the route with UA in first and AA in business class (and that's when AA uses a 2-cabin 763; I believe their 762 is a barca-lounger in F). VX has a good first class, but it's not lie-flat.

Unless you're talking about the QF flight (which is not for sale), there is no true lie-flat between LAX/SFO and JFK.

So complain all you want, unless you can shell out the bucks for a private jet, you won't be getting a 180 horizontal bed.

Food is average, but is there really a domestic US airline that serves an amazing culinary spread these days? Roast beef carts and seat-side salad preparations are no more.

The media players are clunky. The alternative is watching the one video that's playing on the CRT.

Upgrades? Well, I bet if more people paid for C, we might actually get some good service out of the deal. Since we have a culture of entitlement, however, expect service levels to be minimal until a pricing model is created that can fund these dreamy desires you want.

Overall, I find p.s. to be far from NH and SQ F. Given the markets in which it operates, though, I feel it's competitive. Until something new and revolutionary is introduced, why should UA spend more than they need to?
Fair assessment. For me, the lie flat beds aren't as important as the quality of the cabin itself. I feel the P.S. cabin quality is low, and since I have had several experiences with things not working such as the outlets, I just felt vindicated in complaining about the quality of the service as a whole.

I flew a 2 hour flight from Cancun to EWR recently on a CO flight where the first class cabin had those new, very nice angled seats that were technically lie flat (again, not my biggest concern), with the large display monitors and the very white shiny plastic back and I can't help but think... why not just make the P.S. flights those kind of seats from the back of the current business class to the front of the jet? It felt new and shiny. It didn't feel dirty and stained. Have you ever popped open the arm rest to reveal the old phone trestle in business in the P.S. flights? Its nasty. Someone needs to vacuum that every once in 10 years!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
How did we end up on separate tickets? I mean, I went to the website, booked two adults tickets, one for me, one for my wife, all in the same online session at once. Paid once, got one confirmation, etc... is there something I am missing???? This is all new information for me and I appreciate it because I was always unclear as to how companions were treated in terms of status, upgrades, etc...

I just thoughts that since I offered the 30,000 miles for both of us to be upgraded that we would end up together on the upgrade list, not soooo far apart. Literally, I was number 1 and she was number 9.

Interesting side note, although my boarding pass said PREMIER EXECUTIVE, she was ALWAYS in seating Zone 1.

As for the last names... I don't know, I figured since I booked the tickets together that they'd sort of be 'linked' in the system.
When I read your post, it sounded to me that you had purchase separate tickets. As far as upgrade position, it was correct. Once you get down to flight time, every person is on the list by Status>Fare Paid>Time on DM list.. While she may be #2 with you before the flight, she'll drop to the bottom at the gate.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador

There is a plethora of content on your experience above (search is your friend).

But here's my 2 cents.

Yes, you booked your wife and your ticket together. One PNR. But when the flight went to airport control at the 24-hr prior to departure window, you and the missus went your separate ways as far as UA's system is concerned.

Your upgrade request is processed via status, fare paid and time on list. You made it. She didn't - as the upgrade algorithm (if it wasn't interfered with by a Gate Agent) simply overlooked her using the criteria above.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How did we end up on separate tickets? I mean, I went to the website, booked two adults tickets, one for me, one for my wife, all in the same online session at once. Paid once, got one confirmation, etc... is there something I am missing???? This is all new information for me and I appreciate it because I was always unclear as to how companions were treated in terms of status, upgrades, etc... ....
Even if you were on a single PNR, at the gate all upgrades are handled individually based on the individuals status. Prior to the gate, a companion on the same PNR as an elite will be upgraded together -- but not at the gate.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
And economy plus on these planes? Give me a break. I'm glad they have a power outlet, but just prey that it works. I've had three instances where the outlet was broken.
I will say that the location of the power outlets in p.s. E+ is extremely inconvenient and that you either have to be a contortionist or on very good terms with your seatmates to plug in!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew a 2 hour flight from Cancun to EWR recently on a CO flight where the first class cabin had those new, very nice angled seats that were technically lie flat (again, not my biggest concern), with the large display monitors and the very white shiny plastic back and I can't help but think... why not just make the P.S. flights those kind of seats from the back of the current business class to the front of the jet?
First, you must have been on CO's Concorde Service (I'm sure they offer this; they are, after all, the greatest airline on the planet; just ask any NonePass member/CO loyalist) because on a good day CUN-EWR is 3+ hours.

But I digress.

The seats you experienced debuted in mid-2008 and really didn't get installed until 2009. So two years old at best. UA's p.s. started around 2004, so a good 5 extra years of use and abuse.

I'm not making excuses for UA, but you need to understand that planes do experience wear and tear. A few months ago, I flew on a LH 380 in First, and the seat trim that meets the carpeting had scuff marks all over the place. LH got their first 380 in 2010. Airplanes are not showpieces, they provide functional transportation.

Furthermore, 757s aren't exactly young airframes for UA, so is it a wise business decision to "gut" 757s to make them a little more shiny and new feeling? Perhaps it is for you, but when you think of the mountain of items that need attention at UA, I really don't think this is priority.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I believe you can only get angled lie-flat on the route with UA in first and AA in business class (and that's when AA uses a 2-cabin 763)
You can't really compare AA's 763 lie-flat seat to UA's because AA's 763 is an international configured aircraft operating domestically. AA refuses to operate a domestic widebody subfleet and prefers to keep configs as simple as possible.

I just had my first experience on p.s. C going SFO-JFK redeye. Never again I'll say, not because of UA, but simply because it's a red-eye flight. The flight attendants were fine, the fruit plate was nice, the lounges were fine, but next time, I'm taking a day flight. Row 9's legroom was absolutely amazing, miles and miles of legroom. I really wish UA's RCC had showers, which would be really useful coming off a redeye. The lounge agents at JFK were really friendly and they told me even though technically I wouldn't have access at JFK (I was connecting to IAD), they told me not to worry about it and let me in anyways. The JFK T7 seemed a bit "ghetto" to me, it wasn't the grand airport terminal I had envisioned like SFO's intl terminal. The RCC was quite small, and was nice for a connection with free access, but not something I'd pay money for. The SFO lounges were fine, they beat sitting in the gate area. The carrots were quite delicious and I had quite a few of them as a small "dinner". It's nice to see some healthy snacks in the lounges instead of just cookies all the time.

Overall, p.s. was nice, definitely something I'd fly again, but no red-eyes. I just can't sleep on planes. Not on a 13 hour flight in the F suites, and surely not on a p.s. flight in C. Didn't ask about any dvd players, but I've got my iPad, my personal IFE.

Going to sample AA's AFS DCA-JFK-SFO on the return trip in J. It'd be interesting to compare the two products.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bniu
The JFK T7 seemed a bit "ghetto" to me, it wasn't the grand airport terminal I had envisioned like SFO's intl terminal. The RCC was quite small, and was nice for a connection with free access, but not something I'd pay money for.
Spend any decent time going thru T7 and you'll come to love it. Step off the plane and you're curbside in 1 minute. Going into it, security rarely long unless you hit it when it opens. All new F&B too.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
JFK UA gate area and RCC

Originally Posted by bniu
The lounge agents at JFK were really friendly and they told me even though technically I wouldn't have access at JFK (I was connecting to IAD), they told me not to worry about it and let me in anyways. The JFK T7 seemed a bit "ghetto" to me, it wasn't the grand airport terminal I had envisioned like SFO's intl terminal. The RCC was quite small, and was nice for a connection with free access, but not something I'd pay money for. The SFO lounges were fine, they beat sitting in the gate area. The carrots were quite delicious and I had quite a few of them as a small "dinner". It's nice to see some healthy snacks in the lounges instead of just cookies all the time.
I agree with your sentiments about JFK T7 . . . the orange and lime green seats in the gate areas, some of them with tears and gashes, seem like they came from a 1970s-era bus depot. And last time I was there it was first thing in the morning and the carpeting appeared to have gone unvacuumed overnight. And the drooping ceiling panels with coffee-colored stains on them are classy . . . is this an airport or a bowling alley bar?

However, in my opinion, the JFK RCC is fairly decent and quite sizable, especially considering that JFK is a fairly small station for UA (only cities served are SFO, LAX and IAD).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I've heard rumors that the aircraft will become 2-class with the new CO 752 flat BF seats and then coach, with E+/E-. I've got no proof nor a time line, but that's what I've heard being talked about.
This would make so much sense. Make it identical to the international-configured CO 757 fleet (adapted to add E+) and that removes one sub-fleet and streamlines operations. When more capacity is needed, it can easily be swapped out for a 767. ps routes then turn into routes that are premium in the sense that they are operated as if they are international, rather than domestic.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
1970's seats ? Curious how long have you flown UA and how long you actually been flying ? The C seats on PS flights are the same kind installed on international C in the late 90s/early 00
Yes, true. This style of seat was introduced around 1996, just after I had started my SFO-IAD weekly commute. The old Business seats were wide, but otherwise fairly awful - not much recline, and a guaranteed backache within a few hours. Sure, the leather recliners on p.s. could be better, but they're nice enough for the trans-cons.

There have been a lot of comments on this board about the inconsistencies in the food, and the hassle of dealing with the Archos video players. Refreshing the seats and video system would make it better, but overall, the p.s. premium-cabin product is pretty nice.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Row 9.

I'll be very sad to see the new United reconfigure the planes on the p.s. routes. I absolutely love row 9, the slightly better food options and ice cream, the JFK-based crews. And I know others have been complaining about p.s First, but the smaller cabin is still very nice.

I've imagined the new United swapping in legacy CO intl. 757s for the p.s. route, and I'm worried. I'm fearful that the p.s. branding will die, along with the business cabin that extends past the wing. I love the ability to upgrade these flights at ease as there's generally enough inventory when booking in advance.

Honestly, and this reflects on my strange addiction to flying, I will sorely miss the row 9 experience if they take it away. I have developed an emotional connection to 9A, it's like another home! It's a very unique flying experience, especially for these days.

So, I really like p.s. I know it's not what it used to be (check out the old news articles from when the service was first introduced), but it really adds to my overall flying experience with United. I've met some amazing flight attendants on this route too!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
thetallone

I also think one of the ways to perhaps improve the onboard experience is to run a dedicated PS crew - based on merit and not tenure.

Your lips to God's ears. But don't think we'll ever see that. Unions rule and seniority rules. Can't possible hire/fire/evaluate on the basis of merit. Senior mamas will be running those routes even if they don't give a fig about service.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've heard the same rumors. Too bad they can't put the UA lie-flat C seats on p.s.
The CO new BF seats are lie-flat and would be fine.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 11, 2011 at 7:57 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.