Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:04 am

the IAD one is today, D7 9AM. There's even a traffic sign for it coming in on the toll road. Drop by if you're in the terminal. Can't help smiling.

If any of my photos turn out, I'll post.

Sorry for the low quality (exacerbated by making them thumbnails). I do have a few good ones but they have kids in them & maybe there are permission issues.

Twas about two weeks before xmas, & all thru the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a louse...

flight 9762? Is that a codeshare?

for those who care abt such things, N771UA was the "sled."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121202695.html

Last edited by xenonym; Dec 12, 2009 at 11:44 pm Reason: photos, link
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by xenonym
the IAD one is today, D7 9AM. There's even a traffic sign for it coming in on the toll road. Drop by if you're in the terminal. Can't help smiling.

If any of my photos turn out, I'll post.
Yes, please post photos if you can. I've missed the opportunity several times and would love to see it.

I'm adding this to my list of reasons I fly UA.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
WOW and thanks to all who helped mke this work!^
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Here's a link to a story about the Denver flight which took place yesterday 12/12.
Kilzer's son Preston, 7, is battling Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer originating in white blood cells. He took the 30-minute flight with his sister Kayli, 5. The children ate Happy Meals and sang Christmas carols on the plane.
As the arriving Boeing 757 pulled into a cavernous hangar, Mr. and Mrs. Claus came down on a crane to greet the children and the volunteers accompanying them.
"It was a great day today," said Preston Kilzer while watching a magic show.
The children decorated cookies, played with therapy dogs and received presents from Santa.
But Preston was puzzled by one thing.
"I thought the flight would be at least eight hours," he said.
Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13986811#ixzz0ZZBF9dOi
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6
A big ^^ to UA and all the employees participating! What a great tradition
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Wirelessly posted (AT&T Tilt: HTC_TyTN_II Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Originally Posted by mkilmo
Originally Posted by BOSdave
Nice article in the Washington Post today about United's fantasy flight from IAD to the "north pole" for kids with serious illnesses to meet Santa:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121301940.html

They got to ride in a 777.
I guess this is part of the reciprocate bilateral agreements between the US government and the north pole inc. santa division, which gives Santa the right to fly over US and US carriers fly over the north pole inc. headquarters?

If so, when is the open skies agreement going to be signed?

Will Santa be allowed to be a holder of a US-based airline?
The bilateral was signed a while ago. UA acquired the rights from PA back in the day.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
An uplifting story, indeed!

This gesture by the workers at United was really touching. Thanks, United employees, for volunteering your time to bring some joy to others! ^^^
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:53 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
And kudos to UA management

Originally Posted by roxchick
This gesture by the workers at United was really touching. Thanks, United employees, for volunteering your time to bring some joy to others! ^^^
And to UA management as well for their support of the program. ^^
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:52 am

A couple pictures

from the Dulles event. The smiles say it all.

Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs up Fantasy Flights

I've written the Wikipedia article "Fantasy Flight."
Originally Posted by jjgollum
This sounds like an AWESOME gesture. How can I help/get involved?
It's a great cause and I encourage all to participate in the great many there are every holiday season and all through the year.

Originally Posted by xenonym
...flight 9762? Is that a codeshare?
I cracked up reading that. Utterly hilarious. It beats even the SMD2010's flight to PAE, dare I say it.

Originally Posted by kmickey
...Finally, a few gates down they're doing Operation North Pole which is apparently something for terminally ill kids...
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
The are called "fantasy flights", we used to help out with them when we had mainline service. IIRC, just get in touch with your station manager, they will be the one who can help make this happen
Thanks for the casual mention and follow-up which kicked off this whole discussion .
Update: Thanks to the mod who so very cleanly split this thread from the original 940 ORD-FRA brutally oversold.

Originally Posted by susiesnowflake
So glad that you enjoyed the Choir boys! I am actually the chairperson for the event at ORD. The children love it and we love doing it for them...
Good luck with it this year!

Originally Posted by WHBM
Curious to know where such flights from the US go to. From Britain there are equivalents at this time of year which typically do a day return trip to Rovaniemi in Northern Finland right on the Arctic Circle, the stereotypical home of Santa Claus. British Airways has done them for years.
Originally Posted by Flyer420
... last year in DEN UA closed the East RCC and did a lot of decorations, had clowns, elves, and, I think, musicians. The project is paid for I think by DEN employees. The visitors proceeded from the RCC to a plane which, I believe, only taxied around DIA...
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
From the IAD event press release ...
I added your research to the Wikipedia article. Anyone with more to add should do so.

Last edited by Richard Chen; Dec 1, 2010 at 9:15 pm Reason: thx 4 splitting thread
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Some F/As seem to think that this great gesture will dissapear thanks to CO...gosh I hope not.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by UAL4life
Some F/As seem to think that this great gesture will dissapear thanks to CO...gosh I hope not.
CO also does these types of flights.

Someone needs to remind the UA FAs that this weekend's SFO Fantasy Flight has been approved by the parent holding company of both airlines.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
They've been collecting donations towards the event for the past month at the SFO RCC. I donated early on.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Lightbulb Fantasy Flights

Originally Posted by sfogate
CO also does these types of flights over the past many years.

Someone needs to remind the UA FAs that this weekend's SFO Fantasy Flight has been approved by the parent holding company of both airlines.
CO indeed has done almost a dozen (or more) of these such flights. Info about these flights isn't easily found as a Google News search shows. All research is welcome. I'll keep updating the Wikipedia article with this thread's findings.

Last edited by Richard Chen; Dec 1, 2010 at 9:14 pm
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Pat89339
They've been collecting donations towards the event for the past month at the SFO RCC. I donated early on.
Any idea if they are still collecting donations? I'd make a donation when I am there Friday evening

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.