Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
this is touching indeed.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
I was at IAD yesterday and accidentaly walked in on the party, basically at the far end of the D gates...
So it was in the sterile area?

Sounds like a lot of work for everyone, including the limitations to the decoration etc.

How was it orchestrated? Was the 'flight' actually boarded or was there a party held inside the plane and at the gate?
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
I understand the kind gesture and everything^.. but seriously.. how cheap, they could have done more..like.. actually get airborne! If i were a kid again, I would be very upset if we didnt actually fly like they said.. it was a FLIGHT so FLY !!!
When waiting for a flight out of GEG last spring, I read some of the note cards posted on the wall that the kids sent in thanking the GEG station for their version of the fantasy flight. Judging from their notes, they truly seemed to appreciate the experience regardless whether the plane took off or not. If I had a chance to take my nephew with CP on that flight, I'd jump on it. I think you are seriously missing the point of the activity.

Big Kudo's to UA and staff for caring and bringing some excitement to those that can use it! ^^
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weero

Sounds like a lot of work for everyone, including the limitations to the decoration etc.

How was it orchestrated? Was the 'flight' actually boarded or was there a party held inside the plane and at the gate?
According to the article they kids boarded the flight, the plane taxied out and did a run down the runway without actually taking off. They then taxied back to the gate area where they had the North Pole party. The plane was also decked out in holiday cheer.

Follow the link, in the OP, its a good read and has on-board pictures.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Wirelessly posted (Palm680/RC1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D053; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by weero
Yes, in the sterile area past the old AA gates and by that pizza joint.

OT, my flight was leaving from D8 around 12:30pm and I watched some phenomenal GA balance standbys and NRSAs on a weight restricted 777 to NRT at D9.. Apparently the pilot reduced capacity to 190 passengers very late in the game.

Last edited by FightingIlliniUAL; Dec 14, 2008 at 9:36 pm Reason: removed OT portion
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:42 pm

That's a very touching story indeed. Major ^^^ to United and to the staff who so kindly and so generously gave up their free time for such a worthy cause.

Stories like this really put things into perspective.

Great job, everyone, and best wishes to the children and families who enjoyed the trip to the North Pole.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
"It just tugs at your heart," said Christine Smith, the head flight attendant, wearing bell earrings and a pair of furry antlers. Smith has volunteered on Fantasy Flights for 18 years.

She'd undoubtedly say she gets more out of it than she puts into it - I say ^^ to her and to everybody else involved.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: PMUA
Good Job UAL!^^
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by blort

Did it ever occur to you that there might have been reasons other than "cheap" for not getting airborne? The decorated cabin, maybe? Or that they had a planeload full of kids who aren't in the best of health and may not tolerate a flight so well?

You do know that chemotherapy can induce nausea and vomiting, right? Do you think it's a good idea to put a four-year old kid who had chemo the night before on a real flight? Scrambling for a barf bag may not be the best way to forget about a disease.
I totally agree, UA had probably told the parents of the sick kids that the aircraft is not going to be airborne at all before they get on the plane, and I am sure if the plane is going to fly, no such parents would let their terminal ill kids participate at all, it could have some serious consequences. Going rapidly up and down a huge altitude in a short amount of time is not fun at all for anyone that is sick, even adults, and not to mention any turblence encountered.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kudos to UA for this!^ What a great thing to do!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:21 pm
Company Representative - United Airlines

Programs: United Public Relations
Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. This was the fifth fantasy flight of the year, as United employees in PHX, LAX, DEN, and ORD held their 'flights' last week. These events are fully run by United employees (though United obviously contributes that large plane for a few hours), and they spend countless hours for many months fundraising and working with partners to make it happen. Each flight and experience is unique (in PHX for example, Arizona State sends out some student-athletes to help, while at Dulles, there are numerous mascots from all of the local sports teams, not to mention Elmo, Big Bird, and Frosty). The flight in PHX did actually fly for about 10 minutes. The IAD flight does not fly because of health issues of the children.

I could pass these notes on to our employees, but feel free to do so yourself if you pass through any of the airports mentioned above. Having been at 3 of the 5 this year, I can tell you that our employees get as much out of this as the kids.

Thanks for all of the positive comments.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I am glad UA gave these kids an early Christmas gift. Some kids have never been on a plane before and it was nice to have their first plane ride one to remember. I am also glad that it showed up on the monitors.

Happy Holidays to those kids and their families.

Hopefully they get what the want for Christmas.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by United PR
Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. This was the fifth fantasy flight of the year, as United employees in PHX, LAX, DEN, and ORD held their 'flights' last week. These events are fully run by United employees (though United obviously contributes that large plane for a few hours), and they spend countless hours for many months fundraising and working with partners to make it happen. Each flight and experience is unique (in PHX for example, Arizona State sends out some student-athletes to help, while at Dulles, there are numerous mascots from all of the local sports teams, not to mention Elmo, Big Bird, and Frosty). The flight in PHX did actually fly for about 10 minutes. The IAD flight does not fly because of health issues of the children.

I could pass these notes on to our employees, but feel free to do so yourself if you pass through any of the airports mentioned above. Having been at 3 of the 5 this year, I can tell you that our employees get as much out of this as the kids.

UNITED PR: Put me down for a whole bunch of Thumbs Up. If I worked for UA I would certainly volunteer - and I actually would as a non-employee. For future years, is there any way that frequent customers can get involved? I'd mail my entire stash of GETM cards to those employees if I knew how - like some of the quotations, I'm sure they get as much out of the experience as the kids and their families.

Interesting to know that some actually fly and some don't. I recall ORD/North Pole flights from previous years, and I was sure that they did involve and actual flyaround, but I could be mistaken.

Glad you have you on the board!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:43 pm

I can tell you that our employees get as much out of this as the kids.

Wonderful to hear ^^^^
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Put me down for a whole bunch of thumbs ups. I can now see why that flight in IAD doesn't fly. Either way, it is a nice gesture from UA. Have a happy holidays everyone there at UA. I look forward to flying on UA586 on the 26th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.