Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:43 pm

I took part in the UA SFO Fantasy Flight on Saturday Dec 4. I was at the arrival gate.

The kids, about 60 families, took off at 12noonish and arrived at the North Pole before 1pm. They were on a live flight with Mr and Mrs Santa Claus. UA flew them around the Bay Area on a 747. Chevon donated the fuel. Build-a-Bear donated reindeers with red noses to all the children and their mascot flew with the kids.

When they arrived at the North Pole (Gate 86), they were treated to a line of elves (employee volunteers) that guided them to a table full of gifts (a UA swag bag) and under a huge balloon arch, they walked down a balloon lined "runway" to Mr and Mrs Claus, where they had their photos taken.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfogate
I took part in the UA SFO Fantasy Flight on Saturday Dec 4. I was at the arrival gate.

The kids, about 60 families, took off at 12noonish and arrived at the North Pole before 1pm. They were on a live flight with Mr and Mrs Santa Claus. UA flew them around the Bay Area on a 747. Chevon donated the fuel. Build-a-Bear donated reindeers with red noses to all the children and their mascot flew with the kids.

When they arrived at the North Pole (Gate 86), they were treated to a line of elves (employee volunteers) that guided them to a table full of gifts (a UA swag bag) and under a huge balloon arch, they walked down a balloon lined "runway" to Mr and Mrs Claus, where they had their photos taken.
My wife and I were there watching all the UA employees decorating...we both thought the tshirts everyone was wearing looked cool and she asked one of the employees about the possibility of getting/purchasing one...the employee took her phone number and said he would call if any were leftover, but sadly, no call so we assume it was not to be....kudos to UA for all their hard work on this fantasy flight program! As a side note, it was funny hearing the gate agent telling people that the flight BEFORE the north pole was actually going to maui and they were in the right place if that was their destination
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Then I must have just missed you! Glad to see that they flew around. It looked like a very fun event
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Was it a new config 747? If so, some of those kids lucky enough to be upstairs in C got to ride to the north pole in style!!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It must have been because the old config 747 was flying ORD-SFO that evening.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Then I must have just missed you! Glad to see that they flew around. It looked like a very fun event
Sorry to have missed you. It was a fun event. Nothing is more precious than to see a child's face light up in awe. I do plan on volunteering next year.

Sorry I don't know which 747 it was.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Sorry to have missed you. It was a fun event. Nothing is more precious than to see a child's face light up in awe. I do plan on volunteering next year.

Sorry I don't know which 747 it was.
When I stopped by, it looked like the crew decorating was having a lot of fun! Hopefully I am around there longer next year, as I would love to see the reactions of the kids

I have to admit, it was also kind of fun to see the people trying to find the gate for Maui
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:25 pm

Just wanted to make this available to the UA people.

teh Box, which is available for your reading pleasure in the CO forum, has printed a 2011 teh Box Calendar, featuring the more infamous Box personalities.

For a small donation of $15 to the WE CARE fund, this calendar can be yours.

WE CARE is a financial assistance granting program that helps Continental Airport employees (and will roll over to fund the New UA employees) and their families.

www.ffgiving.org
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wanted to make this available to the UA people.

teh Box, which is available for your reading pleasure in the CO forum, has printed a 2011 teh Box Calendar, featuring the more infamous Box personalities.

For a small donation of $15 to the WE CARE fund, this calendar can be yours.

WE CARE is a financial assistance granting program that helps Continental Airport employees (and will roll over to fund the New UA employees) and their families.

www.ffgiving.org
Any chance to see some photos of the calendar?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Any chance to see some photos of the calendar?
Of course.....when you donate your $15.00

Some of the people in the calendar are:
monitor
sfogate
xyzzy and family
sbm12
rolov
mnmag
baglady and baglady jr
Olton Hall
Heathrow Guy
colpuck .............and several others
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I don't know if this had to do with the IAD North Pole flight but last Saturday (12/11), I was IAD-SFO ex-gate D26 and scooted up to the smoking room by D30 (just up the ramp for those that don't know) and the entire area was decorated with silver snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and other assorted holiday decorations and believe it or not, it made IAD look very very nice. Now two minutes for me for forgetting my camera but if anyone has the time, take a look and perhaps a picture.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
I don't know if this had to do with the IAD North Pole flight but last Saturday (12/11), I was IAD-SFO ex-gate D26 and scooted up to the smoking room by D30 (just up the ramp for those that don't know) and the entire area was decorated with silver snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and other assorted holiday decorations and believe it or not, it made IAD look very very nice. Now two minutes for me for forgetting my camera but if anyone has the time, take a look and perhaps a picture.
The pictures of several of UA's Fantasy flights are now on our employee page. I'll have to take a look at IAD's party.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Fantasy Flights for 2011

This weekend, the first of 11 annual Fantasy Flights will take groups of seriously ill or disadvantaged children on simulated flights to the North Pole.

Departure dates, times and gates are:

• Phoenix (PHX): Dec. 2, 7 a.m., Gate 3
  • Boise (BOI): Dec. 2, 7 p.m., Gate 10
  • ORD: Dec. 3, 11 a.m., Gate B7
  • LAX: Dec. 3, 11:30 a.m., Gate 69A
  • SFO: Dec. 3, noon, Gate 82
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
This weekend, the first of 11 annual Fantasy Flights will take groups of seriously ill or disadvantaged children on simulated flights to the North Pole.

Very happy to see that this is continuing ^
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir

Thanks for posting the schedule! I'll be in SFO tomorrow around 12pm, so I hope to catch a glimpse at the celebration

Originally Posted by goalie
Very happy to see that this is continuing ^
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.