Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
You guys are missing the point of this whole thing, which has nothing to do with flying.
^ I always thought the dork factor at FT was through the roof.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
^ to United and the employees who volunteered to take part in this event. What a nice gesture!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
this was/is a great gesture by united air lines, and i hope that they will continue to do it, if there is a need for it. thanks united, for making some sick kids and their families happy at this time of the year.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 15, 2008 at 2:35 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond
^^ to United. I was a little bummed when I read that they didn't actually take off, but it now makes sense that many of them may have been to sick to fly. Still a great idea.

I had a friend who worked with sick kids here in the Rochester NY area and they would do something similar but actually took off from ROC and flew over Niagara Falls (ie the North Pole) and back. Canada in December probably looks a lot like the North Pole...heck Rochester does too
I think it might have been American Eagle flying it but I'm not sure.

Here is some info I just dug up on this year's flight
Third annual Fantasy Flight takes off Sunday, Dec. 21

The Greater Rochester International Airport Flyers Program, in conjunction with Continental Express Airlines, Norcross Helicopter, Monroe No. 1 BOCES, and American Eagle are sponsoring a Fantasy Flight to the "North Pole." Children from seven local agencies - including Golisano Children's Hospital - will meet at the airport at 8:30 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 21, and will be flying to the "North Pole" - actually Niagara Falls, N.Y. - and back to the airport. From 10 a.m. to noon, 300 children will gather in the International Arrivals Hall for a holiday party.

Last edited by atommota; Dec 15, 2008 at 2:46 pm Reason: Found info about this years flight
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
<--- exactly what i looked like while reading the article. it sounds amazing
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
This is awesome ^

If I was a 5 year old, I would totally buy it. No flying necessary
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: These views/opinions are solely my own and not necessarily those of UAL or any other affiliates
Originally Posted by robhakari
<--- exactly what i looked like while reading the article. it sounds amazing
Ditto, but with tears in my eyes! I love that United does this for all these kids.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
Why couldn't they actually take off and fly around a while then "return" ?? or something else? like fly them to Rovaniemi, Finland (supposedly where Santa Resides) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rovaniemi
That'd really be going for the real experience http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_Village
I worked for air2000/First Chocie Airways and they used to do that - take off and land 30 mins later.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
From the article, it sounds like they went speeding down the runway and threw the engines in reverse when they were about to take off...wow, I'm not sure I'd want to be on that "flight" unless the runway was extended by a few hundred feet or so...I find this to be a great gesture by United but I agree, it's odd that they don't actually fly around a little before "landing" in the North Pole...I'm sure some of the kiddos at the window seats were well aware of the fact that they never actually took off
The one thing kids still have that many adults have lost is IMAGINATION. It is one of the things that is so wonderful about childhood.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:07 pm

Glad to hear (but not surprised) that I was NOT the only one to "suffer some vision problems" when reading that.....

Must have got something in my eyes......
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
UA Fantasy Flights on 12/5/2009

I did a quick trip from SF to LA to have lunch with a friend yesterday and saw something very touching I did not know about: the United Airlines Fantasy Flights. With the help of employee volunteers and sponsors, United organizes a holiday flight for needy/sick children every year and transforms parts of airports across the country into mock "North Poles." This event was held across the country yesterday on 12/5/09.

At SFO gate 82 was used: the destination sign was changed to read North Pole. Decorations and balloons were everywhere as well as UA volunteers. They even had balloon arches at the beginnings and ends of the movings walkways which really made Terminal 7 quite festive.

At LAX, the rotunda at the end of Terminal 7 was used. Same North Pole destination sign, with lots of decorations and balloons and UA volunteers. More info from the LA Times here. And yes, UA employees and TSA agents did sing-alongs with the kids!

Additionally, here are some Google News links from various cities across the country yesterday although I am surprised by the relative lack of coverage.

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to everyone at United that made this possible. You have done many things that have moved me these past few months but this really touched my heart.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
saw it on the local news last night and the best part was looking at the faces of the kids. way to go united employees ^
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
United is awesome. Just awesome. Yes, it dipped for a while, but it is making a huge effort to once again become a world-class airline.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Here is some info on previous Fantasy Flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...orth-pole.html
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:55 pm

We've done these for many years. Both enjoyable and heartbreaking as well when you realize a lot of those smiling kid's faces won't be around the next year. Happy that we still do these even with all the cutbacks at United. ^

AD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.