In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by mymiles2go
Love your writing style...keep it up!
+1... keep it coming.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:20 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Welcome to FT

I am so pleased that you heard and honoured jhayes_1780 and my urgings for you to start your own thread .

Your intern position sounds like it was lots of fun.

Many years ago I worked on a very important account at Ansett Airlines. I had daily contact with our IM folks and I was always amazed at how they made F seats appear on the flight I needed to get cleared for INXS or some other up and coming bands ^. That was a lot of fun too, but I never got to find out a lot about IM other than they would wave magic wands when I asked them to. That was cool .

My questions: Does United know about all the IT issues we suffer on our itins (there are quite a few threads here that list some of the main issues)? If yes, are they working on trying to fix the issues, especially with regard to upgrades not waitlisting properly for UDU etc?

Do you think the NEW United will keep E+ ?

Thank you so much for contributing. I hope you enjoy your time here.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hi EZE, welcome to FT. Like the EZE part of your handle. Inventive, like your writing style as well. See that you had a day trip to EZE as well. I fly their often and looking forward to reading more about your time at UA..
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:58 am

Just wanted to add my own encouragement to the thread. Very well relayed and for some reason I find the non-rev travel very emotional (probably the mixture of stress/relief/despair about not getting on, getting on in first, just getting home, etc.). Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by ezefllying
....With due respect to the millions who fly out in the first bank of the day, I was a freshman in college, and 6 a.m. was my weekend bed time....
For many people on FT who have made MRs into an art form, the 6 a.m. flight is weekend bed time.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:45 pm

'You could be a United Intern!'

OK, fellow scheming FT'ers: How do we get this position filled by 'one of us?'

Finally have somebody 'inside the machine' (in addition to ezefllying and our local friendly FA's and others) who could tell us everything and anything we ever wanted to know!

I, um, am not a 2nd year MBA or even remotely close. Who among yourselves, your sons / daughters / nieces / nephews / acquaintances could we get in to this position?

I want to know!

'- How we make money
- How we attract customers
- How we get planes off the ground'

https://ual-pro.taleo.net/careersect.../jobdetail.ftl

Job Description

Business Associate, Emerging Leaders Program (2nd year MBA Students)-HDQ32718072064000DK
Description
UNITED AIRLINES EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM

Job Title: Business Associate
Reports to: Managers, Rotating Divisions
Rotational Assignments: Finance, Revenue Management, Worldwide Sales, Resource Planning, Marketing, Airport Operations, Flight Operations, Onboard Services, Operations Control Center

PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The Emerging Leaders Program at United Airlines offers a unique opportunity to gain broad business exposure and experience by rotating through multiple divisional assignments. The two-year program consists of three 8-month rotations that will give participants exposure to the following primary business components:

- How we make money
- How we attract customers
- How we get planes off the ground

In addition to the rotational assignments, participants will build leadership capability through exposure to senior management, networking events, action learning projects, and leadership development sessions focused on:

- Self efficacy
- Impacting / Influencing others
- Organizational savvy

Upon successful completion of the program, final placement of Business Associates will be based on individual performance, personal preference and business needs.

JOB DESCRIPTION
Develop and implement strategies and perform quantitative and qualitative analysis which may include the following:

- Profitability and cash flow forecasts
- Revenue forecasting and variance analysis
- Market segmentation analytics and value proposition design
- Go-to-market strategy development and execution
- Market / contract analysis and performance optimization
- Strategic and corporate planning
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Competitive analysis and benchmarking
- New product design and development
- Distribution strategy
- Operational resource planning and analysis
- Operational execution analysis and continuous improvement
Qualifications
CRITICAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE

Requires a minimum of 3 years business experience.

- Solid and demonstrated communication and leadership skills
- Previous leadership roles or responsibilities
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strategic and innovative thinker
- Decision maker
- Quick learner and able to adapt in a dynamic environment
- Project management experience

Advanced skills in subject areas such as: statistical/data analysis, economic analysis, and business strategy formulation is a plus.

Job MBAs
Primary LocationUnited States-IL-HDQ - Chicago - Headquarters - 77 W Wacker Dr
Organization 70 Human Resources
Schedule Full-time
Job Posting 09/12/2010
Unposting Date 11/15/2010
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:00 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
LarkSFO,
This program has been around for ages, under many different names. It involves an employment contract usually and is very selective. MBA's at the WHQ campus are a dime a dozen, but the "fast track program" as I call it, is a bit tougher to get into.

UA holds "road shows" for various departments at numerous schools. Most of them are in the Midwest, some state, and some private. Check your college job fair list and see who is coming, that is by far the easiest way to get on "the list", as they can and do some pre-interviews there, as well as recruit and schedule other interviews.

I don't know of anyone in the "fast track" program that wasn't a manager level, or at least the equivalent in terms of pay in a direct analytical role by their 3rd year with the company. Well, I know of plenty, but they choose to break their employment contract (or vice versa.)

Last edited by fastair; Nov 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Thanks for joining and writing about your adventure at UA. Look forward to updates.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Several of you have asked for details regarding the internship. As a number of posters noted, United operates a formal MBA program, and, while I don't know many details regarding it other than what others have posted, I know that the other intern at my hub was a airport-management graduate from, I think, the University of North Dakota.

I was not enrolled in the MBA program. My employment with United was, admittedly, the product of a fortunate referral from a friendly frontline employee and a far-more persuasive recommendation from a UA corporate manager with whom my father was colleagues elsewhere in the '90s. My hiring was initially conducted through the small office in which I worked and was only handed over to H.R. after the office decided I was a fit for the job.

So, to answer several questions, it was very much ad hoc, and while I'm hoping a friend of mine can get something like it next year (non-rev benefits, even as a companion, can be the best elite status in the sky), I believe my particular office won't be hiring another intern next year. Still, I'm happy to answer any employment questions more specifically, especially if you PM me. I'm sorry I can't offer more help, but, since the hiring was conducted by someone generally uninvolved in recruitment, and since the office doesn't seem to be hiring again, I'm uncomfortable providing my supervisor's specific contact information.

I'm working on a post about my first days with the company and my job at the office. Because of the nature of the office work, with most of my time spent handling and conveying privileged and merger-related information, I can't give a very full account, but there were notable moments nonetheless, with all of the attendant absurdity one might expect. The post, as normal, will be mildly stupid, in a college-student-tries-to-make-the-office-amusing sort of way.

As an aside, if anyone's in ATL (or possibly JFK or DTW) today and has availability in the Sky Club, please, if willing, let me know. I was supposed to fly DCA-BOS in time for class this morning, but I was subject to an infinite ground hold and so decided that, missing the class anyway, I might as well collect miles at route myself via ATL onto the largest wide-body I could find. I'm somewhere over Raleigh now.

Last edited by ezefllying; Nov 8, 2010 at 8:51 am
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: CO-PLAT, Hyatt Plat
Any more infor ezefllying?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by iansr
Patience.... lets not burn him out.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by iansr
I'll post one Monday between [4 and 6 p.m.] 12:30 and 1 p.m. (Class starts at 12:30, so I'll wake up at noon, and it'll take up to a half-hour to remember what I promised).

Sorry I've been slow. The My First Day post'll be a little long, and between last week's exam (studying) and this weekend's homecoming (non-studying/perusing alumni tents for buffets and better booze), I've been rather slow.

Plus, I'm still working to pay off my employee travel charges. If I can manage to have a second birthday this month, I'll be golden.

Last edited by ezefllying; Nov 15, 2010 at 2:36 am
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:13 pm
Suspended

best thread on FT i've read in awhile. thanks for sharing. can't wait to keep reading your "journal"
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: UA1K, SPG Plat
Great thread. I taught a class on strategic sourcing at United a couple of years ago, right after the sourcing group had moved from WHQ to 77 W Wacker. Great people and fun to be on the inside of a company I've done so much business with over the years.

I would discourage people from asking questions that are inappropriate for any employee of any organization to answer. Nobody with any professional ethics or who values their career would divulge sensitive information, especially not to a bunch of people on a bulletin board. I'm much more interested in reading about EZE's perspective, unprompted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.