Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F/As make out at 40000 ft

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

F/As make out at 40000 ft

Just returned from a SYD MR and on the way back to SFO, Mrs. EX and I were awakened about 7 hrs into the flight, as the ( we think ) male purser and a female F/A took the jumpseat opposite our exit seats in row 45 next to the galley and started making out for the next three or four hours. They moved a lot and frequently kicked my legs ( I am 6'4" ) which kept me from sleeping peacefully, although they apologized each and every time. But they were not at all embarrassed. All in full view of the pax and presumably with the approval of the rest of the crew who came by regularly to join the conversation, one male F/A changed places with the purser to receive his massage. The F/A who ran the galley looked out once and asked the question "so, when are you getting married?". By the way, the couple was in their 40s, I would guess.
Should I report the lovebirds or let is slide? And in case, someone asks me why I didn't say anything to them, the answer is that as in a restaurant, I'd rather not complain to avoid getting a meal where someone spit on, or get bumped in frequently, maybe water spilled on me or the like.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA G
I wouldn't say anything.

I hope they found good use for the accessible lavatory.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by unavaca
I hope they found good use for the accessible lavatory.
^

Maybe not the most professional thing to do in-front of passengers/paying customers. Perhaps the crew quarters would have been more comfortable?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Me personally, it doesn't bother me that they were doing it. But it was in plain site of the cabin and passengers and there is a perception issue. They have a "s"crewrest on those 747's in the back end of the aircraft where they could have played all they want.

The flight attendants are supposedly there for our safety, but they are also the image of United to passengers. I'm sure this isn't an image that the airline would want to present.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:21 pm

It wasn't professional... If it bothered you enough to post about it to FlyerTalk, I would suggest it bothered you enough to merit reporting it...

BTW you DO know that this is the exact situation that camera phones and YouTube were designed for, right?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by richk_30
Me personally, it doesn't bother me that they were doing it. But it was in plain site of the cabin and passengers and there is a perception issue. They have a "s"crewrest on those 747's in the back end of the aircraft where they could have played all they want.

The flight attendants are supposedly there for our safety, but they are also the image of United to passengers. I'm sure this isn't an image that the airline would want to present.
I would not complain. It is a long flight and people, including the crew, get bored. Admittedly, their behavior was not consistent with what one would expect from a flight crew. However, would you rather be on a flight where the FAs are rude and cranky, which happens all too often?

-
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I would not complain. It is a long flight and people, including the crew, get bored. Admittedly, their behavior was not consistent with what one would expect from a flight crew. However, would you rather be on a flight where the FAs are rude and cranky, which happens all too often?

-
Hmm...I think making out while in uniform is actually shockingly unprofessional behavior. Think of just about any other profession and ask yourself if it's appropriate to do this on the job. What if the waitstaff are making out at your table the next time you go to a nice dinner? A quick kiss is one thing, but if it's what I imagine to be "making out" (including the frequent kicks to you nearby), I can't imagine United would want its flight attendants doing that in direct view of their paying customers. A short, polite note to United is absolutely in order.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
completely inappropriate on the job, imagine doing that at your workplace in front of clients
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
C'mon, naysayers. It was a UA 747, so they had to provide their own IFE without powerports, and at the same time, may have provided IFE for a few other passengers.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
...powerports....
Setup on Aisle 3!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
By the way, the couple was in their 40s, I would guess.
This is what makes it truly unacceptable.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Just wait. Just wait.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two straight male flight attendants on one flight? Obviously this story is made up.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:54 pm

I guess I'm prudish, but that's just disgusting. I'd report it in a second if it was me. Not because of some moral objection to it, I believe fully in personal liberties and freedoms, but this isn't about personal liberties, freedoms, or even morality for me (I think it's pretty classless to make out in public, but there is nothing in my mind to stop people from being classless in public, that's their right).

However, United themselves indicates that the FAs are there primarily for your safety and comfort (as the paying passenger). Clearly, they were neither there for their own comfort/gratification. If you were being kicked then certainly they weren't there for your comfort (their apologies aside, what good is an apology when the behavior isn't modified? I think ZERO, it's actually insulting/patronizing at that point).

The only place I could even imagine this would be considered acceptable professional behavior is the skin/smut/gentleman's club industry - even then...

Anyway, I have a personal objection to watching other people make out, it's gross. I also don't like watching other people cut their toe nails, use the toilet, etc, etc. I know there are people out there that *do* and perhaps I'm just weird, but let's face it, you can have an academic debate in a very ivory-tower sense that there is nothing wrong with this, but nearly everyone's gut from any Western culture will tell you this was not acceptable behavior on the job. Don't even consider that this interfered with your comfort/space on the flight to which you were entitled.

I wouldn't have waited for the flight to land, after a few minutes it would have been an immediate request to speak to the captain, request for a skykit, and frankly, a request for the destination station manager to meet the flight. I think the FAA wouldn't look kindly upon such behavior, either.

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Just returned from a SYD MR and on the way back to SFO, Mrs. EX and I were awakened about 7 hrs into the flight, as the ( we think ) male purser and a female F/A took the jumpseat opposite our exit seats in row 45 next to the galley and started making out for the next three or four hours. They moved a lot and frequently kicked my legs ( I am 6'4" ) which kept me from sleeping peacefully, although they apologized each and every time. But they were not at all embarrassed. All in full view of the pax and presumably with the approval of the rest of the crew who came by regularly to join the conversation, one male F/A changed places with the purser to receive his massage. The F/A who ran the galley looked out once and asked the question "so, when are you getting married?". By the way, the couple was in their 40s, I would guess.
Should I report the lovebirds or let is slide? And in case, someone asks me why I didn't say anything to them, the answer is that as in a restaurant, I'd rather not complain to avoid getting a meal where someone spit on, or get bumped in frequently, maybe water spilled on me or the like.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Not appropriate at all. If pax started doing this, they would be asked to stop. Same standard (if not a higher standard) should apply to FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.