Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jss
Pretty ugly look to whole thing. They did not use any high price design firm I gotta imagine.
Why pay a design firm if you can do it yourself with Adobe Photoshop and this for less then 1.000 USD!
Old May 3, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
Here you go: I kinda like it! At least its United and the company goes on.

BTW, the pic above is of the 787 Dreamliner, not a 777.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 4, 2010 at 5:16 pm Reason: merge
Old May 3, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: United 1K
My vote is on the livery. I love the United logo over CO's globe that seems blurry at times. I prefer CO's old bronze color over their newer globe. IMO, why repaint a whole fleet, just make the name change.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gordo6
And TLV has dircet flights from DEN and ORD, but not from the EWR (that's according to the network section, the other sections does show EWR and does not show DEN or ORD).
And according to the new route-map the new UA will not fly to LHR...
Make sure to click both the United and Cont.. buttons on the screen to show all routes flown/
Old May 3, 2010, 6:37 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I applaud the use of the globe. This is, after all, the world's largest airline!
Old May 3, 2010, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is laughable.

First, say what you want about each carrier's pros and cons from a service perspective, the UA tulip is much more recognized around the world than a globe. In fact, we can probably dig up more than 500 companies who use some variant of a globe for their logo. Way to blow brand identity.

Second, not everybody reads everything. This is FT, and we are somewhat infatuated so we keep abreast, but to people who have seen planes with a tulip, they likely think United. Or the converse with a globe/Continental. But I would argue this combination approach would just stir confusion. You picked the brand that's being kept, the logo goes with it. Or if you two cannot agree on which livery to keep, then design a brand new one.

And that leads me to my third point, UA must have been DESPERATE for this merger because I suspect CO had their hands squeezing the heck out of UA's [blank]s for this to happen.

Another point: CO's livery is like 15 years old! Seems like a perfect opportunity for them to "work together" and come up with something brand new that symbolizes the new company rather than serve as a reminder of where they both came from.

Also, they better hope that Copa doesn't jump in bed with another alliance. Would be pretty comical to have identical liveries flying around for completely different teams!

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 3, 2010 at 11:20 am Reason: merge
Old May 3, 2010, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JBLUA320
I see this as a pretty sad day for United. The logo and branding were awesome, classy, and I always thought of them as a step above the other carriers.
Continental's livery, to me, is kind of cheap and generic with the whole eurowhite thing. They're just slapping the UA name on CO; IMHO.

-a
I couldn't disagree more. CO has always had the second best logo in the industry. After the old Eastern color scheme. UA's logo looks like poop and UA doesn't even bother to keep the paint on its planes looking decent. Given the horrid tragedy of losing the far superior name, Continental, it is only fitting that the infinitely superior livery be kept.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
I think part of what bothers me about the new logo/livery is the lower case United - while I think it would have been better to retain the tulip and UNITED font and just use CO colors, the lack of capitalization makes it seem out of place...
Old May 3, 2010, 6:53 am

Unfortunately, the UA "tulip" is recognizable but not always in a good way. This was brilliant thinking----the new livery clearly shows both a combined and a "new" United. I'm sure they'll clean up the design a little since this was all likely done over the weekend and probably through last night. All in all, an excellent start!
Old May 3, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
If this is the change, I'm OUT!
Old May 3, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by UAL4life
This just sucks, im done.
The brick does not love you.

Originally Posted by nmenaker
If this is the change, I'm OUT!
Or you.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:05 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
RIP the tulip

After the whole rebranding effort of moving to the clean, modern, san serif brand motif, we're back to... this?!?!

I guess Cynthia Rowley needs to somehow work those gold/bronze colors into the new uniform.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:06 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Do we really believe this represents the final decision on the logo, as opposed to something done quickly (and temporarily) to publicize the merger? I assume there are many months of highly paid branding consultants, designs, focus groups, etc., ahead before there's a final logo, livery, font, or anything else.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
Unfortunately, the UA "tulip" is recognizable but not always in a good way.
To be fair, for every UA hater in the world, there's a CO hater as well.

UA has certainly had more than their fair share of service issues, but CO isn't exactly SQ, either.

I still think the best approach would be to design something that's new and fresh.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: UA MP 2P, SPG
That just looks tacky...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.