Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Ok, here is an idea, something a little different that I think would benefit UA from people trying to "game" the system and still help loyal customers get home a little sooner.

The idea: Create a stand-by pass. Every 10 EQS you fly on UA you get 2 stand-by passes added to your account. When you fly stand-by the GA pulls a stand-by pass if you get on. If you have no passes, then you can buy one for $50. That way people can't always choose the cheapest flight later in the day, though if they want to stand-by on occasion they are not penalized for trying to stand-by for an earlier flight.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
Originally Posted by unavaca
Ugh, but why does UA have a change fee at all? If there's space and the customer is already willing to pay the fare difference, why does there need to be a change fee?
Customers who book reservations and change their plans tie up inventory, and in some cases it is too late to be resold (although in other cases, UA is better off because it can be resold at a higher fare). One could argue that change fees could have a sliding scale based on when the change is made, but a counterargument is that is too complicated for customers.

In general, a change fee allows UA to offer competitive fares to those with firm travel plans, while generating additional revenue (to sustain those low fares) from customers who need the flexibility to change their plans.

Obviously WN sees things a bit differently, but some types of changes (such as switching return dates, or even same day standby) can be cheaper on UA than on WN.

Again these are my personal opinions/guesses and not the official policy/opinion of UA.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
1p's PLEASE email/write United

This really is insulting. As other posters have stated the differences between 1p and 2p are almost non existent anyway. How can United even think of charging for standby for mid tier when aa and dl don't?? Please 1p's, write to United and tell them this is outrageous. I for one will certainly reconsider my loyalty. My company allows me to fly whichever airline I want.

Last edited by scruffair; Apr 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm Reason: Changed as to aa
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
Ok, here is an idea, something a little different that I think would benefit UA from people trying to "game" the system and still help loyal customers get home a little sooner.

The idea: Create a stand-by pass. Every 10 EQS you fly on UA you get 2 stand-by passes added to your account. When you fly stand-by the GA pulls a stand-by pass if you get on. If you have no passes, then you can buy one for $50. That way people can't always choose the cheapest flight later in the day, though if they want to stand-by on occasion they are not penalized for trying to stand-by for an earlier flight.
Haha. This would take years for their IT people to figure out how to program the system.

^ idea though.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA *G
I'm going to get the ball rolling on something to get United's attention.. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Yet another alignment with Continental. Continental has the same policy, except their same day confirmed can be made 24 hour before scheduled departure and departing 12 hours from time of request (much better).

And UA and US are still merging? I think not.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: Various
Even though this doesn't affect me (as a 1K), I still think that this is an outrageous charge for 1Ps and 2Ps. I would really prefer to see 2P and up exempt from this fee.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
For most people, standby is usually for an earlier flight as they are done with meeting early or just wanted to go home earlier. The earlier the flight the less likely that there are misconnects or other problems. It is just like seeing the doctor. You wait the least if you have the first appointment. It is also more likely that there are open seats in the earlier flight. In addition, earlier flights are usually cheaper. By letting people standby for earlier, United is creating a larger buffer for later flights. I always see it as a win-win situation. When $ is involved, most leisure travelers will stick with their original flight negating possible buffer/reserve.
Other airlines doing it is NOT a reason for UA to change. Why can't it be a special features of United?
Once again, why are changes revealed on a Friday night but not Monday morning?

Originally Posted by UpInTheSky
Customers who book reservations and change their plans tie up inventory, and in some cases it is too late to be resold (although in other cases, UA is better off because it can be resold at a higher fare). One could argue that change fees could have a sliding scale based on when the change is made, but a counterargument is that is too complicated for customers.

In general, a change fee allows UA to offer competitive fares to those with firm travel plans, while generating additional revenue (to sustain those low fares) from customers who need the flexibility to change their plans.

Obviously WN sees things a bit differently, but some types of changes (such as switching return dates, or even same day standby) can be cheaper on UA than on WN.

Again these are my personal opinions/guesses and not the official policy/opinion of UA.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: Nothing now! (Bye bye gold memberships)
I second the motion and wrote to 1pvoice myself. This aggression will not stand, man.

Originally Posted by scruffair
This really is insulting. As other posters have stated the differences between 1p and 2p are almost non existent anyway. How can United even think of charging for standby for mid tier when aa and dl don't?? Please 1p's, write to United and tell them this is outrageous. I for one will certainly reconsider my loyalty. My company allows me to fly whichever airline I want.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:54 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I understand that in a lot of other countries, flying standby and not having to pay for the fare difference is virtually unheard of -- such as with Qantas in Australia.

They seem to accept it as how things work.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA *G
CO gives their Golds $25 off, so it's a more reasonable $25 fee, and it's confirmed.

-a
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I just found out about this

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
GS and 1K are exempt from these fees. I kind of think 1P and 2P should also be exempt, but what do I know... More reason to be sure I hit 1K again.
My letter is already into 1P voice. I recommend other 1P/2P's to write to have us exempted as well.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Yet another alignment with Continental. Continental has the same policy, except their same day confirmed can be made 24 hour before scheduled departure and departing 12 hours from time of request (much better).

And UA and US are still merging? I think not.
Well don't forget Contintel reduces the cost based on Elite Status, although Silvers still have to pay the full $50.

The $75 United charges for a confirmed change is absurd.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It is a sad day when US offers a better deal to all elite members than UA for domestic standby. UA should offer free standby to all elite members.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by TA
I understand that in a lot of other countries, flying standby and not having to pay for the fare difference is virtually unheard of -- such as with Qantas in Australia.

They seem to accept it as how things work.
With most airlines, in my experience - BA, LH, ... I appreciate being able to standby for an earlier flight on UA domestically, although this will no longer be free for 1P and below.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.