Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by noirpepper
I am leaving UA, this draws the final straw come on UnitedPR, please tell UA we want the stand by fees waived for all UA elites. UA knows well that elites are a mere minority in terms of revenue generation.
I have been wondering when some of the fees would not apply to the lower level elites. United has been giving away too much, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other benefits start getting removed for the 2P level.

While UA rewards the highest level traveler, they put in policies which do not help bring brand loyalty to the next generation of elite traveler with the 'There's a fee for everything' approach.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
The charge for changes to the Saver Awards is the most distressing to me. I often use these awards for a family emergency, when a flexible return might be needed. Bad move UA
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by colevalleytim
The charge for changes to the Saver Awards is the most distressing to me. I often use these awards for a family emergency, when a flexible return might be needed. Bad move UA
Where did you get this?

Here is info from .bomb...... (AWARD FEES)
Award fees
Award fee exemptions for Global ServicesSM and 1K® members
Global Services and 1K members are exempt from all award fees. Award tickets issued for other travelers using miles from Global Services and 1K accounts are also exempt from all award fees.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: Too many

As a 1K this does not affect me however I think at a minimum they should waive the $50 for standby for 1P's also. Someone who flies 50-99k a year should be able to standby for free in my opinion. Especially since AA and others don't charge mid tier elites.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Drek82
Just another fee to nickel and dime United customers into finding another airline ... this was a fantastic benefit and I feel was a good discriminator for flying United ...

And the fact that the fee will apply for both 1p and 2p is just additional salt on the wound. My experience as a first time 1k this year has been lackluster with the lack of confirmable NC seats for the rest of the year ... and knowing when I drop back to 1P next year, i'll lose another benefit i utilized often.

All these fees just make me feel like United is turning into a discount carrier ... and if i wanted that there are better value options for flying domestically ...
Maybe you'd prefer the carrier go out of business instead? How else do you expect airlines to make any money, let alone a profit to attract investors? If you're not willing to pay for a legitimately valuable service, why should anyone invest in UA to keep it flying?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Maybe you'd prefer the carrier go out of business instead? How else do you expect airlines to make any money, let alone a profit to attract investors? If you're not willing to pay for a legitimately valuable service, why should anyone invest in UA to keep it flying?
I guess it's all relative. We'd have a 1K uproar around here if UA started to impose fees for award ticket changes. That change in policy would also benefit shareholders (and adversely effect both you and me).
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Continental SDC

Just out of interest, how would you all like something similar to CO's SDC benefit:

Once you are inside the 24 hr window before your flight, you can switch to an alternate flight that departs up to 24 hours from the time you are making the SDC request (routing change is ok, only need same O/D pair, so long as your fare bucket is available). $50 for non-status/silvers, $25 for golds, $0 for plat.

If there is no availabilty in your fare class, you can standby at the airport, and you will be charged according to your status if you clear.

The great thing about the SDC on Continental is you can go both forward and back by quite a large amount.

Last edited by boat9781; Apr 10, 2010 at 9:41 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Unless one is making a habit of changing flights, in which case the refundable fare is offered, what is the beef?

Paying in silence is a lost art! When one changes a flight, be grateful another flight is available to change to. Consider the $50.00 a tip.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
how to complain

What is the appropriate method email? 2P voice if exists to complain to UA about the standby fees?

I mean enough of the fees. Fine to nickle and dime leasure travelers but business travelers who frequently have last minute issues and can't make original flight home but being elite we largely know we will get on the next flight.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 797-3
United no longer even serves peanuts with beverages. They are testing my loyalty!
I believe this has been long gone for a couple of years now
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Drek82
Just another fee to nickel and dime United customers into finding another airline ... this was a fantastic benefit and I feel was a good discriminator for flying United ...

And the fact that the fee will apply for both 1p and 2p is just additional salt on the wound. My experience as a first time 1k this year has been lackluster with the lack of confirmable NC seats for the rest of the year ... and knowing when I drop back to 1P next year, i'll lose another benefit i utilized often.

All these fees just make me feel like United is turning into a discount carrier ... and if i wanted that there are better value options for flying domestically ...

+1 ^
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
As a 1P, I have to say this really ticks me off. I have taken advantage of the standby rules to travel on an earlier flight a few times in the last two years. I was never gaming the system by buying a cheaper ticket, I just decided to head to the airport earlier and fill up a seat that was not needed. More than once, the flight I was originally scheduled to take was oversold and I did United a "favor" by taking an earlier flight. For United to be taking this benefit away is one thing, but to be taking this away for mid-tier elites (1P) is something else.

I looks like United is trying to get more in line with the worst of the legacy carriers and not in line with staying among the best.

I will send an e-mail to MP and let them know I am not all that pleased. I don't know if it will have any impact, but all 1P's should make themselves heard.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It was fun while it lasted, but I see its primary purpose as just closing a loophole for people who love(d) to game the system.

Though I also feel they should waive the fee for all *S and *G, as those people have shown some loyalty and thus should be rewarded with this capability. (I've just sent an email to 1KVoice to express this opinion.)

Last edited by mahasamatman; Apr 10, 2010 at 9:47 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Late last year a grumpy gate agent at IAD told me that United would be getting rid of same-day standby soon, because too many people were gaming the system by buying a cheap late flight and showing up at the airport to take the expensive early one.

"That's ridiculous," I figured. "People take on a lot of risk by standing by because they aren't guaranteed a seat, and it wouldn't make sense to punish that with a fee like US Airways does. Plus, this is one of the awesome features that really makes United stand out and makes me want to recommend the airline to my friends." But I didn't say anything out loud -- I just kind of nodded and smiled. I guess she was right!
It is true; you read here all the time about people gaming the system, buying the cheapest flight on a given day and then flying out standby on the flight they actually wanted to go out on. The chances of a high-elite not being able to manage this are very low. However- by exempting the 1K, who is most-likely to clear with low risk, you aren't doing all that much. A 2P had some chance of getting stranded with that tactic, so there was at least something to keep it from being abused. The 1K is now even more-likely to clear (on a different flight) than before because there will be less "competition." Or I could have that exactly backward if the new formalized cost structure makes the whole process more transparent and acceptable.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The fact that if you're not 1K/UGS and you have to pay $75 is a double-whammy. All other airlines allow free same-day changes to at least their mid-tier elites as well (Delta doesn't for Silvers...) - wish UA would at least make it so that *Golds/1Ps don't have to pay the standby fee - they can keep the confirmed fee (that's been there for non-1K/UGS for a while), but at least throw a free SB fee out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.