Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by lax2010
Any guess if companion traveling in same PNR with 1K member will also be exempted?
I was thinking, or rather wondering the same thing. Hopefully this is the case, but I do travel alone most of the time.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
This is saddening.
Flexible standbys and refares were key differentiators with UA and now they're both gone.

Last edited by DesertRat; Apr 10, 2010 at 1:00 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:14 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by okrogius
Comparing this with others:

CO - 50 to change within 24 hours (e.g. 1pm flight, you can change at 1pm day before)
US - 50 to change any point same day (e.g. 1pm flight, you can change at 6am, but only at the airport)
AA - 50 to change within 12 hours (e.g. 1pm flight, you can change at 1am)
DL - 50 to change within 3 hours (e.g. 1pm flight, you can change at 10am)
UA - 75 to change within 3 hours, 50 to change 15 minutes prior...
This hurts a lot.

$50 to change isn't unusually high, but needing to fly 100,000 miles in a year to get it waved is.

The good news is there is no other airline that list includes every airline UA could possibly be competing with for business travelers, especially on the west coast, so no major problems there...

This seems like one of those political stories they try to bury in the saturday morning paper.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:18 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Red face I Think You Forgot...

[QUOTE=FriendlySkies;13743899]
Relax, you're a 1K...doesn't apply to you (-;

NOW, if the merger does go through... )-:
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:21 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
It's about time. I used to buy the "offpeak" pricing at Wrigley Field for games against teams like Arizona, and try to get to use the tickets for games against the Cards, but it never worked. I even bought tickets for the back end of a double header and tried to get in to the front end with 'em and that didn't work, for the same day when my plans changed and I was able to get out of work early and get to the airport. Now I guess I will have to pay for what I want, even if it is more expensive. I can't understand that kind of business model!

All sarcasm aside, you knew this was coming. I had no insider knowledge, yet posted that it has GOT to be coming as soon as AA did it. I figured it would take 1-2 months for them to implement programing to automate, and come up with whatever model they wanted, and this is about right based on that prediction.

Friday afternoon/evening flights to the Biz1 destinations, I am hoping they give a commission, as I can surely pay off my student loans if they do.

On the honest plus side, as an employee, I will now, more accurately be able to predict what flights I want to standby for. If a flight is only 85% full, today, they may get no employee standbys on. In the future, either I will get on those flights, or UA will make INCREMENTAL money holding me off. It kind of makes my diluted benefits seem a tiny bit more valuable.

CO - 50 to change within 24 hours (e.g. 1pm flight, you can change at 1pm day before)
US - 50 to change any point same day (e.g. 1pm flight, you can change at 6am, but only at the airport)

(AA/DL free for all elites. CO offers a 25 discount for golds. Only UA and US charge full price for low/mid elites.)

UA just went from the best standby, to having the worst of all legacies. I wonder if I can get this on a napkin, along with the #1 on-time message.
Where did you get $75 from? All I read was $50.

Edit: Ahh nevermind. Standby (by the definition as in, "non-confirmed") is $50, and the $75 isn't to standby, but to be confirmed and bypass the standby.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 10, 2010 at 5:23 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:25 am
Suspended

Airlines compete in a race to last place

Years ago, Southwest was the worst airline. Airlines have been in a frenzy to race to last place.

One of Southwest's weaknesses was the lack of standby. While the new standby fees won't affect those with a generous expense account or who can bill their clients, it hurts those travelling on a budget.

Southwest's current weakness is the lack of first class, no international frequent flyer awards, and expiration of credits after 2 years. Don't worry, United and others will eventually match most of these. The first to come might be that whatever miles you add will expire if you don't use them in 2 years. So if you fly UA 529 tomorrow, those miles will expire in 2 years even if you keep flying them. They could institute a first in first out system of miles expiration.

United no longer even serves peanuts with beverages. They are testing my loyalty!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by fastair
Where did you get $75 from? All I read was $50. You make it look like UA is uncompetitive (in fact state as such) when I see UA matchin all of the others. Is there a part I didn't see? Others are now quoting your chart. Is it accurate, or misleading?
75 is the regular 'confirmed' change fee up to 3 hours prior to desired flight. The other airlines do not make a distinction between changing the flight before hand (confirmed same day change), or at the gate (standby) - hence the comparison.

-As a GM on other airlines, I can change my flights much further in advance, without paying more (or potentially less than if I used UA's 'confirmed' change).
-As a high-tier elite on UA, I get the worst change window (3 hours, versus 24 on CO, 12 on AA, same-day on US/DL).
-A low/mid-tier elite on UA gets to enjoy the full fee (again, free on AA/DL, discounted on CO for mid-tiers).
Sounds pretty uncompetitive if you ask me.

Last edited by okrogius; Apr 10, 2010 at 12:58 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:43 am

Programs: UA G
Wow, this totally blows. Remind me again why I even bother trying to hit 2P or 1P?

Combine this with UA's (and all other legacy carriers') $150 change fees, and WN is looking better and better all the time. I'm almost better off flying WN domestically (and getting A-list) and buying E+ access for the one or two international trips I do each year.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by legalalien
First, "unlimited domestic upgrades" that (in my experience) rarely trickle down to 1P
As of now, http://www.udustats.com/Home/SearchR...eliteStatus=1P says 1P's are clearing 73% of the time. While YMMV, have you been entering failures (and successes) at: http://www.udustats.com/Home/AddFlight ?

Anyway, I think this is a case of where it will cost UA more money not to mention make the lives of GAs hell (not that UA cares). As soon as I see a flake of snow drop, I hall posterior to the airport if I am traveling that day. I'm doing UA a favor by taking the earlier flight in order to make my connection. If I can't standby before UA flight operations recognizes there will be a problem (and yes, as a 1K I realize this is moot -- for now), I'm going to end up canceling and refunding more airfares. Free standby preserves revenue and costs UA little.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 10, 2010 at 12:59 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:53 am

Anyone know if this changes the "flat-tire" rule? If I was late for a flight an hour or so, it was free for me to standby on a later flight. Is there a $50 fee for this now?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
A new $50 charge is being introduced for customers who choose to voluntarily stand by for another flight on the same day
Since it says "voluntarily", it definitely shouldn't apply to cancellations, misconnects, or IDBs. The question is, is arriving at the airport late (flat tire rule) voluntary? I'd hope UA would continue to allow free standby if you show up within a certain timeframe after your scheduled flight, even if it does leave a window for abuse by people booking a cheaper earlier flight and then showing up for the flight they want and claiming a flat tire.

Last edited by BayAreaPilot; Apr 10, 2010 at 1:28 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot
Since it says "voluntarily", it definitely shouldn't apply to cancellations or misconnects. The question is, is arriving at the airport late (flat tire rule) voluntary?
Depends if you voluntarily flattened your tire or not. The tire flattened itself so it shouldn't count
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
It was labeled as fee simplification and reduction but end up taking one of the best features of United. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to United to let people standby for earlier flight so that there are buffers for cancellations later in the day.

BTW, why are these "enhancements" announcements always come on a Friday night?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 10, 2010 at 5:23 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
wait, so 1P and 2P have to pay a fee to standby....! You're kidding right?!

*Global ServicesSM customers, Mileage Plus® members with 1K® status, and customers traveling on Standard Award tickets or fully refundable tickets are exempt from fees for confirmed same-day travel changes and unconfirmed same-day standby.

(AA/DL free for all elites. CO offers a 25 discount for golds. Only UA and US charge full price for low/mid elites.)

UA just went from the best standby, to having the worst of all legacies. I wonder if I can get this on a napkin, along with the #1 on-time message.

No- US doesn't charge its low-tier elites

From US Air website:
Standby fee waived

Move up to an earlier flight for free. We waive the $50 standby fee for our Silver Preferred customers who want to move up to an earlier flight on the same day of travel.

SO United is now clearly the worst of the majors....worse than US

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 10, 2010 at 5:24 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: UA *G
VERY upset about the standby fee change This was one of my favorite things about United.

I believe American, who also started charging a fee, waves it for *all* elites. UA should at least wave it for 1P and above.

"The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:

Customers traveling within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caribbean or Canada with tickets purchased before February 22, 2010
Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y, B, H class of service)
Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
oneworld® Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type
AAirpass® members
First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards "

Anyone feeling starting a petition or something of the sort?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.