Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Addressing passengers by their first name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2003, 7:48 am
Original Poster

This may seem like an odd question, but has United revised any policies for how their employees should address their customers. For decades they have always called me Mr. ......

A couple weeks ago, someone at the 1K desk addressed me by my first name. It seemed really strange.

Yesterday, I flew three United flights in First Class. The first two flights, I received the normal professional greetings of Mr. ...... On the 3rd flight, the flight attendant called me by my first name the entire flight. Maybe I'm just not use to it, but it kind of bothered me. Maybe she thought I was a United employee, rather than a 1K Million Mile customer.

Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's my age, but I kind of like the formal treatment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, earlier this week I was really impressed by a flight attendant on a 757. She memorized the names of all 24 first class passengers. The entire flight each encounter with a passenger she addressed them by name. Of course she used the formal Mr. Mrs. Ms. greetings.
Old May 16, 2003, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
There was a discussion of this issue on the AA board not too long ago here. May be interesting...
Old May 16, 2003, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAMillion:
Maybe she thought I was a United employee, rather than a 1K Million Mile customer.</font>
Was it an international flight? You were in F....

&lt;duck&gt;

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited 05-16-2003).]
Old May 16, 2003, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was called "Mr. XXXXX" on LAX-ORD two days ago. It wouldn't bother me to be called by my first name--in fact, I'd prefer that instead. But protocol is the "Mr. So-and-so."

Now, if UA starts addressing me by those other names I've been called..
Old May 16, 2003, 8:08 am
Original Poster

The flight was just a 737 domestic flight. She also asked me if I wanted a glass for my beer, or just the can.

Maybe she use to work for Southwest.
Old May 16, 2003, 8:20 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Well, that settles it!

(Sound of thunderous marching over to AA's counter)
Old May 16, 2003, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the post-takeoff announcements they always introduce themselves something like, "My name is Nancy and I'll be your Purser on todays flight. Joining me are Helen, Biff..." etc.

And since I always address them by their first names..."Excuse me Nancy, but would you happen to have any spare ammo in the ship's stores?"...I don't have a problem with them calling me by mine.

As long as they don't call me PremEx!
Old May 16, 2003, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Always been "Mr. &lt;Lastname&gt;" on UA, but I did notice on my SEA-YKM flight on Alaska a few weekends back the ticket agent said "Thanks, Chris" when she took my BP.

I thought it kind of odd, but she was young and AS always has First Class service no matter the class you fly, so I forgot it by the time I was on the tarmac walking to my plane.
Old May 16, 2003, 9:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I prefer it when the FAs call me 'darlin.'
Old May 16, 2003, 10:13 am
Suspended

Location: Chicago, IL - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have noticed it a lot at ORD when the gate agent is reviewing my ticket before placing it in the ticket reader.

I really do not mind, although I can see where it can be considered inappropiate.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:16 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
First off, this usually does not come up since I am most always address as "HUNK"

THat said, it is not the place of those serving to be familiar without invitation - it is unprofessional and reflects poorly on the culture of the airline.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:36 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kokonutz:
I prefer it when the FAs call me 'darlin.' </font>
If anyone asks, I tell 'em to call me Sexbomb

Alternatively, on a bad day, "If you wish to converse with me, you will kindly address me as 'Sir'."

Old May 16, 2003, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
"Call me anything except late for breakfast"

Lurker
Old May 16, 2003, 12:18 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:

As long as they don't call me PremEx!
</font>
I feel the same way!

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old May 16, 2003, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA
See, we germans dont have these kind of problems, you use Mr/Mrs and the impersonal form of "you" (Sie), and if you go a little more comfortable, its first name and the impersonal form.

If you were raised in a family where manners were still considered important, or in a professional enviroment (my mom had a store, my friends parents had all the time investment clients at home and so on), its a wonder you even dare to say "du" and first name to anyone! It is basically since the internet advanced that it gotten more relaxed in the general public.

So in all the years flying, basically since I looked older than 10, I gotten called Ms. on the flights from german airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.