Wiki Posts
Search

Can I upgrade on US with UA 500-milers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Member/Marriott Silver/SPG Gold/Hilton Honors Gold
Thanks fumanku....that's what I expected.....bummer. It was worth checking
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, SPG Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
Q-up available, UA paper, US metal

I'm booked on a United ticket, Q class fare for a US shuttle flight next week. I know US offers upgrades on Q fares. Will this work for me given the nature of my booking?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by BWIcrab
I'm booked on a United ticket, Q class fare for a US shuttle flight next week. I know US offers upgrades on Q fares. Will this work for me given the nature of my booking?
Are you referring to their space-available upgrade for cash at checkin or at the airport? If so then yes you should be able to upgrade no problem if they have space.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Good luck with that....UA's new best friend is quickly becoming CO (check out the "new" CO elite benefits and it's virtually indistinguishable from MP)....I think the days are numbered for UA's relationship with US and with the elimination of US elite bonus', I would say US itself is not long for this world...
Maybe i'm out of the loop too. Are UA elite members loosing some benefits for flying with US air?

As of July 1, 2008, all travel on US Airways credited to the Mileage Plus program accrues actual miles, with no minimum.

Mileage Plus program match:
As a Mileage Plus elite member, flights on US Airways earn the elite level mileage bonus (redeemable mileage credit):

Premier members earn a 25% redeemable mileage credit bonus
Premier Executives and 1K members earn a 100% redeemable mileage credit bonus
The miles accrued are determined by the operating airline. Please note that the booking class shown on your ticket may differ from the booking class relevant for mileage accrual.

Ensure your Mileage Plus number is in your reservation at check-in. But if you do not receive your miles go to Retro Credit.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, SPG Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
I was referring to the fact that I am booked on a Q-fare. I thought (been a while, thankfully, since I've flown on US metal) that q-fares on US had complementary upgrades available for all.

If this is the case, can I get the comp upgrade if I am ticket on United?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Mr SFOisHome is flying US SFO-CLT next week. He bought the ticket through .bomb but it is a US codeshare flight. I have about 100k miles on Useless Airways and I was hoping to use some to upgrade him. We called US and they said call UA and UA said US, so no good answer. Has anyone had luck upgrading a US ticket purchased through UA using US miles?

Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
I wanted to share the answer I found, from the US AirWay forum :

When you book a UA codeshare on US metal, a separate PNR is issued on US. If your Dividend Miles number is entered on the reservation, you can look up the US PNR on usairways.com and then call US to upgrade the flight. Otherwise, use the form at http://reservations.usairways.com/Default.aspx and select the "look up by flight number" option (using the US flight number, not the UA codeshare flight number).

After you have the US PNR, just call them, give them that PNR, and request the mileage upgrade. Don't mention anything about UA or they'll get confused

(I did this last month on a LAX-PHL-BOS, so I know it works.)

I just did this for MR SFOisHome and it worked no problem. I had to do a flight search to find out what his US flight number was, but other then that it was very easy. In case the link doesn't work go to UsAirway.com:Travel Tools:Manage Flight: Search by flight number
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:45 pm

As a 1K, what kind of upgrades can I request on a US Air ticket bought on US Air's website. Anything?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by lem144
As a 1K, what kind of upgrades can I request on a US Air ticket bought on US Air's website. Anything?
Within 24 hours of the flight you can call and do an upgrade for cash (or maybe do it on the US site). You can't use any of your United instruments to upgrade.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Within 24 hours of the flight you can call and do an upgrade for cash (or maybe do it on the US site). You can't use any of your United instruments to upgrade.
Oh that stinks. Oh well. Too bad UA sucks to MIA/FLL.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
upgrade on US Airways ?

This sunday, I have flight ATL - PBI (west palm beach) on US Air.
As a UA 1K, are there any possibilities to get upgraded ?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 21, 2010 at 5:55 am Reason: merged with existing thread
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by erwin123
Pretty much zero.

UA doesn't have a complimentary upgrade agreement with US.
Nor does US honor UA elites on their complimentary upgrade program.

However, upon check-in, you may be offered to pay for an upgrade to First Class (just like anyone else).
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by erwin123
This sunday, I have flight ATL - PBI (west palm beach) on US Air.
I would not pay for US domestic F. It's lame.
A buy-up is a waste of money.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have about 100 flights on US using my UA FF#. Of those, I've only been op-upped twice.

1. August, 2008. DTW-PHX as a 2P. Flight was oversold and I volunteered. There ended up being one passenger needing a seat and me with two seats left (1 in F, 1 in Y). I got the one in F.

2. September, 2008. CLT-DTW as a 2P. I was flying PHX-CLT-DTW and was moved from 5F to 32B on the PHX-CLT A321 when a US Platinum wanted my seat. The gate agent offered to upgrade me on the CLT-DTW segment as compensation. I accepted.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I upgrade on US with UA 500-milers?

The title says it all.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 3, 2010 at 7:06 pm Reason: merged with existing thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.