Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I upgrade on US with UA 500-milers?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:27 am

Upgrades on U.S. Airways

Is it possible for UA Premier's to get upgrades on the US Airways portion of their trip? If not what is the advantage to booking any flights on US Airways since the have no E+?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
No complementary upgrades on US. Value is that you get both miles and EQM's towards status.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 6:53 pm

quick question - SFO-HKG on UA metal, US ticket flying biz (Z class)..anyway to upgrade to F? can SWUs, UA miles or US miles be used?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by ironmanjay
quick question - SFO-HKG on UA metal, US ticket flying biz (Z class)..anyway to upgrade to F? can SWUs, UA miles or US miles be used?
can't upgrade z, it's discounted biz - buy up to C and you could use a SWU or miles at the counter I believe.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/MM, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by actonma
No complementary upgrades on US. Value is that you get both miles and EQM's towards status.
I know it was pure luck, but I have found that I have been able to snag some comp'ed upgrades on US, but only on formerly HP-operated flights. I flew LAX-LAS-PBI for Thanksgiving, and was put on the waitlist by an agent at the USAirways Club @ LAX. Ended up being first on the list, and given new BP's @ the gate! Was great as I was on a red-eye... tried again on the return PBI-CLT-LAX, no such luck on true US-metal, everyone I asked said I would have to pay... SO it never hurts to give a big smile and ask
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by JDS@LAX
I know it was pure luck, but I have found that I have been able to snag some comp'ed upgrades on US, but only on formerly HP-operated flights.
Similar experience here. A couple of years ago I used to get comp upgrades on US as a matter of routine (around half the time), and I'm just an Aeroplan elite. Mostly involving flights to/from PHX, so probably HP-operated as you say. More recently this seems to have dried up.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:06 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Is there currently any method for *G or US Platinum members to get upgrades (with US miles) on UA? I am starting to fly UA more.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by b8b
Is there currently any method for *G or US Platinum members to get upgrades (with US miles) on UA? I am starting to fly UA more.

Thanks in advance.
Good luck with that....UA's new best friend is quickly becoming CO (check out the "new" CO elite benefits and it's virtually indistinguishable from MP)....I think the days are numbered for UA's relationship with US and with the elimination of US elite bonus', I would say US itself is not long for this world...
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:28 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Good luck with that....UA's new best friend is quickly becoming CO (check out the "new" CO elite benefits and it's virtually indistinguishable from MP)....I think the days are numbered for UA's relationship with US and with the elimination of US elite bonus', I would say US itself is not long for this world...
Wow, I've been out of it, when did US eliminate the elite bonus?

I am CO Gold, does that help me on UA at all?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It's one of US elite enhancements that no other airline (so far) has chosen to duplicate (a wise choice in my opinion given the uproar and impending exodus of US elites)...then there is the $2 charge for sodas....as for being CO Gold, if you can't get upgraded on UA now, wait awhile...you've got a MUCH better chance than a US elite
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Embarrassingly basic question on upgrading

I have never attempted to "buy" an upgrade on a domestic flight before. I am contemplating flying PHL-LAS-PHL on US metal, but booking through the UA website. I have about 47,000 miles on UA and would like to upgrade myself from coach to first (I assume the booking class would be one of those where I would have to pay 15,000 miles per leg). FWIW, I have no elite status with either US or UA.

First of all, can this be done with UA miles on US metal these days?

Second, how do you actually make sure you get the upgrade? I am reading the UA website and it says you have to "request an upgrade" online. When you do the request, does UA check for you to see if there is space available before they take the miles from your account? Clicking on "request upgrade" before I have booked the itinerary isn't possible.

Hard to believe I am this clueless after all these years of flying, but this is what you get when your company suddenly changes its travel policies to "no first class on domestic flights." I've been lucky up to now.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, but you can't use UA miles to upgrade US flights.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Sorry, but you can't use UA miles to upgrade US flights.
Thanks for the quick response. Nuts!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Member/Marriott Silver/SPG Gold/Hilton Honors Gold
500 Mile Cert Question

OK, dumb question, but can you use UA 500 Mile Certs on *A partners like US Air? My only option on an upcoming trip is US Air due to cost. Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
upgrades...

sorry, the 500mile certs are only good on united planes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.