Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Yuck - Salmon and Smoked Salmon Appetizers Are Back on the Menu

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yuck - Salmon and Smoked Salmon Appetizers Are Back on the Menu

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by qfrodo
I'd like a good personal size meat lover's pizza!
Blech.

I love pizza but hate when greasy foods like that are served on a plane. Afterwards, the plane gets to smell like a fast food restaurant for hours.

In the spirit of this post, even if UA served a personal pizza, I'd just accept it as something I wasn't fond of having on a plane instead of wondering why others enjoy having it. The world doesn't revolve around me, etc.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by retsef
Why, Why, Why does United insist on serving salmon and smoked salmon appetizers? It is such a waste as I won't touch the stuff.

I would so rather have some shrimp or proscuitto.
Some of us like salmon! And not everyone can be pleased all the time.

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
To each his own. I enjoy salmon.
Agreed. I don't eat enough of it!

Originally Posted by escog
Given allergies to shellfish and religious prohibitions, shrimp and prosciutto are likely problematic.
Agreed. I'm not able to eat nuts and that seems to be the only option for an appetizer a lot of the times over the past year or two when I've flown in C or F. If I ask for a snack bag from Y (the fiesta mix or other option) the FA sometimes brings me one, other times "forgets".

^ on the salmon.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:40 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by violist
A waste for you, perhaps, but what about the rest of us?
Agreed!

Perhaps I should contact a Mod and have the title changed to YUM...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Dibs...and thanks for sharing...

It's obvious all offering won't please every people, so why not take this advantage and share. Great opportunity to start a conversation and making new friends.....

Jiburi
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Why, Why, Why does United insist on serving salmon and smoked salmon appetizers? It is such a waste as I won't touch the stuff.

I am so opposite.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond

Just means more for those of us who like salmon! ^
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:02 pm

Smoked Salmon can be really good or it can be really bad, just like anything else. While I am sure that UA is not spending top dollar on their Salmon, it is probablly one of the best catered items(that is ofcourse unless you do not like product) as it holds up well to the riggors of inflight catering.

At least that has been my experience,
Dan
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:35 pm

"Please all and you please none."

Interesting thread with interesting responses.

Although most posters here like the salmon. I personally find it disgusting when it is put before me. In fact, I hate to even look at it. I quickly cover it with a napkin until the FA takes it away.

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Nov 20, 2009 at 3:54 pm Reason: word misspelled
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:29 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Neither of these are kosher for me, so I would prefer UA to offer its passengers a choice of smoked salmon, or the shrimp proscuitto combo for those whom want it.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I like salmon. But United's salmon (or any fish) is disgusting.
The salmon beats the shrimp by miles for me... but I replied more to point out that I actually quite liked the salmon cakes that were on p.s. flights this year. Inflight fish is usually poor, but these were good all three times I had them.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, some other stuff
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
To each his own. I enjoy salmon.
+1
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Count me in as a +++ for smoked salmon as well. Boy, I bet you'd really be mortified at the ANA choices!

The one meal that used to confuse me on UA was the Baked potato with chili, cheese and onions they used to serve in business. Why would you ever serve chili and cheese in an environment already conducive to gassy businessmen?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:42 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Originally Posted by mlasser
Why would you ever serve chili and cheese in an environment already conducive to gassy businessmen?
^^^^^ hahah
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Maybe it is to appease those of the Jewish faith, they seem to go nuts over smoked salmon.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by last2board
I actually doubt the bolded. Are you sure? Have you conducted a poll? I don't mind salmon but would prefer the other choices. I think there are many people who are adverse to all fish.
Yes, I have. I know very, very few people who won't eat salmon, and all of those except one also won't eat shrimp either. Shrimp and prosciutto eliminate anyone who keeps kosher, is watching their cholesterol intake, or is concerned with foodborn illnesses (in the case of shrimp) - a not insignificant number of people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.