Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii and new upgrade policy Jan. 2010

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I commute to SFO from HNL every other week - while I can live with a 17,500 mile upgrade - the $500 co-pay is crazy. Besides the once in a lifetime honeymoon couple nobody is going to pay that kind of money - It is (at least in 2009 from SFO) a relatively easy route to upgrade and I'm not worried - United will change the policy quickly when they have empty F cabins and need to op-up from economy - this just won't stick.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
The new upgrade co-pay policy won't hurt most of the folks on this board, in fact it will no doubt make it easier to upgrade, as most VBITs will be deterred by the extra (up to) $500 per person, per leg. Should make even last minute busy-time flights easier to upgrade.

If you have e500s, CR-1s, or (expiring, hope one doesn't burn a good one on this route) SWUs, no co-pay.

The folks it will hurt the most are the 3p & 2p HI residents who garner miles with the CC to support upgrades (I know several folks in this boat). There are rumors that UA might exempt HI residents from the co-pay (a kama'aina discount if ever there were one).

In other news, they have brought back Trade Vics meals, and so aren't stuck in chicken-or-pasta mode like they had been for ~1 year. Still single-ended catering to OGG, though.

Mods- probably should merge/combine this thread with the others of its ilk.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:28 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Looking forward to never worrying about requested upgrades clearing next year.

UA is crazy to think they can get that kind of $ for Hawaii upgrades.
+1, although I never worried about upgrades clearing in the past. 100% upgrade success.

Welcome to FlyerTalk pk23!

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 7, 2009 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jraindc
If you are 1K, why not use a CR-1? No upgrade cost.
My thoughts exactly as those that thought CR1's were only worth $100 in CC I think now will see an increase in it's value when this new UG policy gets put into place.

Originally Posted by David5885
This is one of the best reasons to become a 1K. Number one was the systemwides. After that it is a tie between all the fees being waived, the upgrade and standby priority, and the CR-1's for use on my twice yearly ORD-HNL roundtrips.
The CR-1's will be worth more IMO with the new UG policy seeing as Hawaii and other destinations are $$$$.

$1000 and 35k miles for a RT UG to Hawaii OR 2 CR1's?

Great increase in value for us 1k's. If the SWU's are available on every fare class (hoping) we are sitting in a great position, although there will be more non 1k's that are able to go after UG's. The cost of not being a 1k just went up huge.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:01 am

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by boat9781
CO will continue to treat Hawaii flights to/from IAH and EWR as a "modified "BusinessFirst" product and therefore will continue to charge the co-pay.

This policy has changed with regards to Hawaii flights to/from LAX. CO allows unlimited space-available elite upgrades on this route or one can use his/her miles - 17.5k to be exact - without a copay.

I think they realize that the copay only really makes sense on the BF product, and now that they are flying a mix of domestic/international configured aircraft on the route, it no longer warrants the copay.
I applaud CO for recognizing and fixing this discrepancy, and I view it as further evidence that my hypothesis regarding UA's Hawaii copays is correct. However, I fear UA will take far longer than necessary to follow suit and correct their own obvious and glaring error in the current structure.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If they don't fill (or don't think they will) the seats the policy will change, if they do fill the seats the policy will not change.
They will most definitely fill the seats with NONREVS.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by pk23
i figure the day i move from here, UA will use their international planes for HNL routes seriously, the HNL-ORD and HNL-DEN flights are the suck!

Hey, PK23, aloha and welcome to FT! I've been flying HNL to Asia and the Mainland for 25 years and can remember HNL-MNL, HNL-HKG, HNL-KIX, HNL-SYD, HNL-AKL, HNL-SAN, and HNL-SEA. In fact, a long time ago HNL-ORD was serviced by UA with three 747s a day.

The bean counters on Wacker Drive have determined that there is little revenue demand for a 3 class HNL-Mainland route (HNL-NRT is still an int'l configured route) although HNL-ORD will be a 747 for about a month around Christmas this year.

Even though it would be nice to have a domestic 3 class aircraft from HNL-Mainland, I am quite happy there is still a HNL-ORD flight. This route was cancelled a few years back when UA retired its DC-10s.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by justin thyme
I do believe that the loss of its Hawai'i base will be the proverbial straw that breaks United's back.
You are massively overstating the importance of the Hawaii customer base.
  1. Hawaii-based customers are less than a drop in the bucket to UA, and
  2. The Hawaii-based customers who upgrade are a tiny portion of (a).
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
Any way to get this thread to somebody in upper management at United? Some good points have been made.
Thanks,
Al

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:00 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You are massively overstating the importance of the Hawaii customer base.
  1. Hawaii-based customers are less than a drop in the bucket to UA, and
  2. The Hawaii-based customers who upgrade are a tiny portion of (a).
In regards to Hawaii based customers, perhaps, though I don't know about 'a drop in the bucket'. If we include the Hawaii market/routes as a whole, I don't think it's insignificant to UA's operation. Straw that breaks the camel's back, eh, I doubt it.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by lapeter
Also by year end I will be 1K, but I am not sure how this will help.
CR1s
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Hawaii and new upgrade policy Jan. 2010

I flew RT SFO-HNL two weeks ago (I fly it 4 x/yr) and the food was the same old chicken and rice blah. I wonder when the new Trader Vics food will be implemented.

Sadly, I agree that some E+ seats are better then F both on SFO/LAX-HNL and SFO/LAX-BOS, which are the same old planes.

I really can't see anyone who has ever flown this route pony up $1000 plus miles for F.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I really don't see this as being a huge issue for elites traveling between Hawaii at the continental United States - HI-related upgrade inventory usually opens up pretty late within the e500 window, so save those e500s for that. The brutal co-pay will only apply for miles, so it will only affect non-elites traveling. HOWEVER, the rough part is when families travel, we have a problem. For a family of four, if both parents have e500s to spend, then it's okay, but if there are five or more, then that last kind of out of luck.

What's not as exciting is that Japan-Hawaii is the same rate as the continental United States (it used to be only 2/3 the cost in miles). I'd rather save an SWU for traveling to SFO, LAX, or even for a paper upgrade from Tokyo to Europe on LH.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I flew RT SFO-HNL two weeks ago (I fly it 4 x/yr) and the food was the same old chicken and rice blah. I wonder when the new Trader Vics food will be implemented.

snip...
We got the new Trader Vic's on 9/27 and 10/4, HNL-SFO and LAX-OGG.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:27 am

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Lucky for me, I have both a Hawaii and Cali id and valid leases/mortgages is both locations

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
The new upgrade co-pay policy won't hurt most of the folks on this board, in fact it will no doubt make it easier to upgrade, as most VBITs will be deterred by the extra (up to) $500 per person, per leg. Should make even last minute busy-time flights easier to upgrade.

If you have e500s, CR-1s, or (expiring, hope one doesn't burn a good one on this route) SWUs, no co-pay.

The folks it will hurt the most are the 3p & 2p HI residents who garner miles with the CC to support upgrades (I know several folks in this boat). There are rumors that UA might exempt HI residents from the co-pay (a kama'aina discount if ever there were one).

In other news, they have brought back Trade Vics meals, and so aren't stuck in chicken-or-pasta mode like they had been for ~1 year. Still single-ended catering to OGG, though.

Mods- probably should merge/combine this thread with the others of its ilk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.