Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Why does this lounge have its own thread?
Unlike most non–United Club Star Alliance (*A) lounges in the United States, the Lufthansa lounge at IAD is physically accessible to domestic UA passengers. This means:
  1. United *G members may access the lounge on domestic itineraries, even though they wouldn't be allowed free access to the United Clubs on such itineraries.
  2. Passengers who otherwise have United Club access, whether due to a paid membership or a foreign *G card, have the option of a vastly superior lounge in IAD.
What is the Lufthansa Lounge at IAD like?
There are two floors to the lounge: the concourse level, where you enter and check in, which also has the Senator lounge with ample windows; and the lower level, which has the Business lounge and showers. (The showers are very nice; on par with Senator lounge showers in Lufthansa's Frankfurt hub.)

The Senator lounge offers a complimentary buffet throughout the day, including hot dishes, salads, and dry snacks, and has draught beer and a full open bar including champagne, available upon request.

[Need description of FTL offering. Include photos?]

How do I get there?
The lounge is located at the center of the B concourse, from where non-US airlines depart, to the right of the Aerotrain escalators as you enter the concourse from the train.

Hours have changed seasonally, but, as of April 2014, are 8:20 to 21:30 except Mondays, when the lounge closes at 17:30. It also closes daily from 12:00 to 13:30. Some report the lounge opening earlier on occasion and some report it closing earlier on occasion.

From TSA/check-in, the B concourse is one stop away by Aerotrain, but in the opposite direction of the C concourse from where most United flights depart. Allow 20 minutes between the center of the C concourse and the Lufthansa Lounge. The longest part of the trip is the walk between the C concourse proper and its Aerotrain stop. Between concourses B and C, the Aerotrain makes two stops: one at concourse A and one at the main terminal/TSA/baggage claim.

How do I get inside?
With...
  • Any Star Gold (*G) card (including UA Premier Gold and higher) and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. There are reports (April 2014) that the physical card is no longer necessary; a *G designation on the boarding pass reflected in the barcode may be sufficient. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
  • A LH/LX HON/SEN card and a same-day departing or arriving *A boarding pass to/from any destination, domestic or international. (Senator lounge, 1 guest [plus spouse if HON] plus children under 18)
  • A LH/LX FTL card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A LH Premium Economy boarding pass with ($35 adult/$20 2-12yo child) lounge pass purchased at the ticket counter. [Can it be paid at the entrance?] (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A United Club or Maple Leaf Lounge Worldwide membership card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, 1 guest)
  • A same-day international departing *A First (Senator lounge, 1 guest) or Business (Business lounge, no guests) boarding pass
  • A same-day arriving LH/LX First boarding pass. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)

In all cases, each guest must also present a same-day *A boarding pass for admission.

Lounge access for travel in a domestic premium cabin is not regulated by *A; as such, UA F domestic passengers (without other credentials) do not have access to the LH Lounge according to *A.com, just as they do not have access to the United Clubs. However, the international requirement for C/F tickets is conspicuously absent from Lufthansa's own lounge access sheet (see below), and domestic UA F passengers have reported admission. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
[If we get (semi-)official confirmation of this policy, we'll add this to the bullets.]

Provided the lounge does not get overcrowded, as is often the case on US-based LH lounges, you may exit and re-enter the lounge as often as you wish. Note that if you are entering on a lounge pass, which are issued by Lufthansa to their own elites for various reasons, re-entry might not be allowed.

(If your access question wasn't addressed by the above, first check the *A access policy and LH's official access policy [generally relying on the least restrictive policy of the two if they appear to conflict], and if they answer a question that this wiki couldn't, update this wiki to help others! And if they don't, ask in the thread!)

So, can I use the lounge upon arrival in IAD?
Only LH/LX SEN/HON (on any *A carrier) and LH/LX F passengers have access to the lounge upon arrival at IAD without regard to onward travel. See the list above for more details. There are reports, however, of passengers not meeting this criteria presenting their arriving boarding pass and still being admitted.

Furthermore, note that, by virtue of not having access to the terminal, no international passenger whose journey ends at IAD has access to the lounge; they will be ferried by mobile lounge to the International Arrivals Building, which deposits passengers landside. [Can pax without checked bags choose to clear CBP in concourse C regardless? Also, do arriving passengers on LH/LX/*A F/C connecting at IAD to Y-class flights have access? According to LH.com, pax arriving in C on LH/LX can use the lounges in Germany and at JFK upon arrival to freshen up. Is the same courtesy extended at IAD?]

How does the Senator lounge compare to the newest Senator lounges in FRA?
Not favorably. The Senator lounge is like the old FRA lounges (cramped, and before a LH flight departure, crowded). Perhaps due to the crowding, LH offers its departing F pax preboarding from the Senator lounge, something which the FRA/MUC FCT/FCL does not offer but is common among LH's outstation lounges. So, enjoying champagne and macadamias at the nose or upper deck while waiting is a nice feature of the IAD Senator lounge.

This sounds too good to be true!
Lufthansa agrees! If the rumors are true, as of January 1, 2015, LH's Business Lounges will become its *G lounges, which means non-LH *Gs will be directed downstairs to the Business lounge after that date. There's some discussion of exceptions, most notable being that *G traveling in longhaul business class will still be admitted to the SEN lounge. Lufthansa has been more generous than most *A airlines in admitting *Gs to its designated *A First class lounges—not even UA's own 1Ks get to visit United's first class lounges without a first class ticket—so this change will bring Lufthansa somewhat more in line with the rest of the alliance. Went to the LH IAD lounge in June 2016 with TK G and SK BP flying Y, we were directed into the Senator lounge.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: LH M&M FTL. Ex-FB Silver and AA-Gold
I guess it is just normal application of the rules, but on a recent visit (June 10th) I was happy I could use the LH Business lounge as LH FTL (*Silver) during my lay-over enroute BRU-IAD-BNA (all on a UA ticket).

The business lounge was quite crowded (I was there around 2-3PM), internet didn't work but the food and drinks were adequate and better than most US-carrier-operated lounges I've been to.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Can anybody confirm when this lounge opens in the morning? LH's website says 11:30 a.m., but several posts in this thread have suggested that it may open much earlier than that. I ask because I'm arriving next week just before 7 a.m. with an 11 hour layover before my domestic connection and need to find somewhere to shower before heading into town.

If the LH lounge won't be open that early, I also have Priority Pass access to the BA lounge, which has a shower and opens at 7 a.m. It's been a long time since I've passed through IAD, however, so I'm not very well acquainted with it. If I need to use the facilities at the BA lounge, which Priority Pass lists as being in the "Midfield Terminal," after clearing immigration and customs following my international arrival, how do I get there with a domestic UA boarding pass?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
When I used the Lufthansa lounge at IAD on Aug. 10, the hours posted outside the lounge were 8:20 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

The hours change seasonally; perhaps they have done so since Aug. 10?

It's a nice lounge, and very quiet early in the day. I've been the only guest there more than once (traveling on a UA domestic itinerary as a *G). If you can't resolve the hours question before your trip, it's worth it to walk over there and investigate.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
I was there at 8:24am in mid-Aug and I was only the 2nd person in. I also noted the posted 8:20am opening hour. Since 8:20am is in of itself a somewhat strange opening time, I figure it must be related to the NH001 12:20pm departure (NH uses the upper floor in the am). If so, it'll stay that way until NH001 switches to the 11:20am departure when DST ends.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA1K
can't wait to use this next monday
Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
If arriving at A, it's a reasonably long hike from the A gates to the LH Lounge and gates.

If arriving at C/D, the best option is to go to the main terminal (via train or shuttle bus, depending on where you arrive in C/D), then take the train to B. The train station for B is almost directly across from the LH lounge once you get up the escalators from the station itself.
To/ From the A gates, it's a ten minute walk at a reasonable pace. I've timed that many times.
If you're not up for the long walk, you can also catch the train near the A gates, take it to the main terminal, and stay on until it gets to the B station. This will take longer than walking but works smoothly.

Originally Posted by n8onUA
2) I know LH doesn't have a first class lounge at IAD but I'm assuming they will have access to LH business/senator lounge in B terminal. Would they be able to get access to United's International First class lounge (can't remember if it is in C or D) when they arrive and then later make it over to LH lounge? In other words, if they're flying into IAD on United in First (domestic) and on a United Mileage Plus 1st Class European award (but on LH) can they use the UA 1st class lounge or is that specifically reserved for UA members flying international first?
Unlikely they would have United First Class Lounge access. That's not a Star Alliance lounge. But it's irrelevant in any case, as the LH Senator lounge is far nicer in every way.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 4, 2011 at 6:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
as the LH Senator lounge is far nicer in every way.
I would not say in every way. It's nicer modern design, and selection of (mainly german) newspapers & magazines, and the presence of shower if you need one, but as far as food and beverages are concerned, it is a matter of preference - if you want champagne (or decent wine) you should probably shoot for UAL F, if you want nice beer on tap and pretzel - LH might be better.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Based on my other LH experiences I'm guessing the answer is NO, but can anyone confirm if there is any chance I will be let in to the SEN lounge at IAD without a current 1K/*G card, just a UA BP for 1st/Biz with UA 1K printed on it. Do they happen to use a bar code reader and trust it? No problems with NZ recently, but this is LH and UA seem to be unable to send me a new card(have last years...)
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by treyrox
Based on my other LH experiences I'm guessing the answer is NO, but can anyone confirm if there is any chance I will be let in to the SEN lounge at IAD without a current 1K/*G card, just a UA BP for 1st/Biz with UA 1K printed on it. Do they happen to use a bar code reader and trust it? No problems with NZ recently, but this is LH and UA seem to be unable to send me a new card(have last years...)
Probably a no, they're pretty consistent in this regard all over the world and they've always asked when I visit the LH SEN lounge at IAD so expect to get rejected without the card.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Went in at 8:30 this morning with a UA Y boarding pass to YYZ, as I have 4 hours to kill.
It was nice to have a shower after a long flight from EZE.

You definitely need the physical card - they need to swipe it.

Nice and quiet here in the morning
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
I would not say in every way. It's nicer modern design, and selection of (mainly german) newspapers & magazines, and the presence of shower if you need one, but as far as food and beverages are concerned, it is a matter of preference - if you want champagne (or decent wine) you should probably shoot for UAL F, if you want nice beer on tap and pretzel - LH might be better.
There is champagne and wine in the LH lounge. They bring it to you upon request so it's hard to know what vintner/vintage it is, but I've always found it passable. Perhaps the IFC has better.
As for food, the UA IFC has a selection of cold items in plastic cases with hinged tops. This typically includes duck breast, shrimp, grilled veggies, cheese, some cake, and other items. The food might be OK but the presentation is quite sad, in a fairly dark area. The LH SEN lounge will have a green salad, a warm pasta salad, desserts, a warm feature item, soup, and a few others. I find the LH SEN selection to be fresher, far better in terms of presentation, and a variety of hot and cold items that can be assembled to make an actual meal (as compared to just grazing on canapés at the UA lounge). Then there are also the Trolli gummy bears at the SEN lounge that are the icing on the cake.
For me the lack of view (and general lack of windows) in the IFL is a big disappointment. Of course the SEN lounge has great windows.
I'll maintain my stance that these lounges are really in different leagues.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
There is champagne and wine in the LH lounge. They bring it to you upon request so it's hard to know what vintner/vintage it is,
It's easy to know - you just have to ask to see it. There was no champagne last I checked, unlike in LH Senator's lounge at JFK, even though there may have been some kind of sparkling wine available.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
It's easy to know - you just have to ask to see it. There was no champagne last I checked, unlike in LH Senator's lounge at JFK, even though there may have been some kind of sparkling wine available.
If you look up on the top shelf above the food you will see bottles of what they serve. I don't know if they are up to date or not...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA1K
as others have posted, you def need your card to get in.

was there sat morning (flight to BGM was cancelled), and again yesterday afternoon. they were really slow bringing out the hot food when they ran out. but still good to stop in.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by treyrox
Last year I used my 2P card before my 1P card arrived, and showed them my BP, which showed biz and 1P printed on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.