Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have IROPS?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having IROPS where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then IROPS occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket (recent 2022 reports suggest this is possible)
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I was just proactively rebooked onto AA last night due to delays that would have resulted in a misconnect. Just emailed MPSC to request ORC for the original itin. Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, as the AA confirmation number is still showing on the itin in my reservations.

Really want this, as our company just halted all domestic travel after previously halting international travel (exceptions require ELT approval).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I was re-routed from LHR-EWR-IAH on UA to BA LHR-IAH nonstop with storms at Heathrow a few weeks ago. I had actually switched from UA to AC LHR-YYZ-IAH on the phone, and then the UA checkin agents at LHR were able to give me the BA nonstop when I arrived at the airport. All UA ticket stock.

ORC was easy. I had to call the 1K line after radio silence over email, and the agent handled the ORC over the phone. Still fighting for AA miles (am double dipping with ORC on UA and crediting the BA J ticket to AA) but AA is confused by the BA flight on 016 ticket stock, I think.

Last edited by iah713; Mar 11, 2020 at 10:19 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, PP / AA Plat, B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by iah713
I was re-routed from LHR-EWR-IAH on UA to BA LHR-IAH nonstop with storms at Heathrow a few weeks ago. I had actually switched from UA to AC LHR-YYZ-IAH on the phone, and then the UA checkin agents at LHR were able to give me the BA nonstop when I arrived at the airport. All UA ticket stock.

ORC was easy. I had to call the 1K line after radio silence over email, and the agent handled the ORC over the phone. Still fighting for AA miles (am double dipping with ORC on UA and crediting the BA J ticket to AA) but AA is confused by the BA flight on 016 ticket stock, I think.
I believe I am having the same issue. I have a BA flight with an AC ticket number.

Last edited by jeromekeh; Mar 11, 2020 at 12:00 pm Reason: Adding original statement.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
(And make sure you get the right ORC to hit 1K!)
Never tried to do this before but I'm gonna have to figure it out. I think having me change from FNT-SBP to DTW-SBP changed the value of the return flight as well. Based on what ua says I'm scheduled to earn, I will be 47 PQP short of 1K on this trip when I was originally scheduled to qualify with over 100 to spare. I can't imagine the ORD-FNT leg was originally worth 150.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by catbox9
Never tried to do this before but I'm gonna have to figure it out. I think having me change from FNT-SBP to DTW-SBP changed the value of the return flight as well. Based on what ua says I'm scheduled to earn, I will be 47 PQP short of 1K on this trip when I was originally scheduled to qualify with over 100 to spare. I can't imagine the ORD-FNT leg was originally worth 150.
The representatives at the mileage plus desk whom will assist you with this are quite friendly, let them know your position going in and they will credit it right away with you on the phone. Stand firm for the original value of the ticket, not the revision. Best of luck
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
The representatives at the mileage plus desk whom will assist you with this are quite friendly, let them know your position going in and they will credit it right away with you on the phone. Stand firm for the original value of the ticket, not the revision. Best of luck
My main concern is I don't have in writing the original ticket value in terms of pqp. My receipt shows $607 for airfare (not including taxes) and prior to the trip I needed 486 miles to qualify. The agent I talked to on the phone says I have already qualified but she is including Chase pqp and insists they count for 1K this year even though they do not.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My main concern is I don't have in writing the original ticket value in terms of pqp. My receipt shows $607 for airfare (not including taxes) and prior to the trip I needed 486 miles to qualify. The agent I talked to on the phone says I have already qualified but she is including Chase pqp and insists they count for 1K this year even though they do not.
Have you checked the app, it shows all your current data there. Those are the numbers I would believe. I just took a peek at mine and my PQP from Chase is not included in my united PQP, it shown as a separate line item
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Have you checked the app, it shows all your current data there. Those are the numbers I would believe. I just took a peek at mine and my PQP from Chase is not included in my united PQP, it shown as a separate line item
The app shows I am short 303 PQP. I was originally scheduled to receive about 400 for FNT-SBP but the app shows I will earn 256 for DTW-SBP. I can't imagine ORD-DTW will be worth 47 so it sounds like I'm going to have to do some arguing to qualify without another trip. I suppose I could buy up to a higher rate class on my return to spend another $50 or so but as my upgrade already cleared that doesn't seem worth doing.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The app shows I am short 303 PQP. I was originally scheduled to receive about 400 for FNT-SBP but the app shows I will earn 256 for DTW-SBP. I can't imagine ORD-DTW will be worth 47 so it sounds like I'm going to have to do some arguing to qualify without another trip. I suppose I could buy up to a higher rate class on my return to spend another $50 or so but as my upgrade already cleared that doesn't seem worth doing.
I wouldn't worry. After the trip is complete, request ORC. That will likely fix the return segments also. However, if it doesn't, then you can follow up and get it corrected. The agents can see what the total fare paid was, and they'll have the correct values to use. (I've done this myself).
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I wouldn't worry. After the trip is complete, request ORC. That will likely fix the return segments also. However, if it doesn't, then you can follow up and get it corrected. The agents can see what the total fare paid was, and they'll have the correct values to use. (I've done this myself).
Yeah I'm probably just overthinking all this. I haven't been 1K since it was strictly distance based (2015?) so I'm anxious to requalify - in a pandemic year no less.
jsloan and Flying Machine like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:19 pm

Best of luck in getting that ORC and for making 1K. Keep us posted
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yeah I'm probably just overthinking all this. I haven't been 1K since it was strictly distance based (2015?) so I'm anxious to requalify - in a pandemic year no less.
Yep jsloan's advice is spot on. Just request ORC (note your ORD-FNT flight got rerouted and you want credit) and then let them work it out -- they should get it right. It will likely post as a line item 'PQP adjustment' and another 'PQS adjustment'.

If it comes back less than you expect it to do, you can highlight just the differential between your receipt's airfare total (which you already looked up) and the net posted for all your flights taken on the itinerary.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, IHG Spire, Marriot Gold
So I've got a weird one...

I'm being rebooked by a preferred partner onto AF on one of my legs. The ticket originates from LX, but one leg has AF in it now, which isn't even *A. Do I still get credit on PQP for this as I purchased the ticket from a *A member?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2021 at 4:48 pm Reason: Moved to ORC thread
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by turbox3
So I've got a weird one...

I'm being rebooked by a preferred partner onto AF on one of my legs. The ticket originates from LX, but one leg has AF in it now, which isn't even *A. Do I still get credit on PQP for this as I purchased the ticket from a *A member?
No
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by turbox3
... I'm being rebooked by a preferred partner onto AF on one of my legs. The ticket originates from LX, but one leg has AF in it now, which isn't even *A. Do I still get credit on PQP for this as I purchased the ticket from a *A member?
If done the day of travel / irrops, you could try for ORC -- may take some effort.
If done as an advance schedule change, nope. UA will not do it even for its schedule changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.