Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Short Checking" -- the practice of checking bags to a location short of your travel destination is no longer permitted by UA (and many airlines). It is believed one reason for this is to discourage "Hidden City Ticketing."

There are a couple of exceptions / loopholes
-- Over nights in route stays -- you are overnight at a connecting city.
Long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated) (>12 hours)
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck

-- Port of entry for USA arrivals
At most USA port of entries, you will have clear customs and you then can exit with your baggage (or recheck).
This does not work at IAD mid-field arrivals since must clear TSA to exit.
Also PreClearance airports (where you clear immigration and customs at the departure international city -- such as most Canada-USA flights and DUB and some Caribbean)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.
Print Wikipost

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2023, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It’s possible the PNR was priced as a stopover at BRU and not a connection since the onward flight was maybe more than a day later. Might be worth the OP looking into that for the impact on pricing.
Per OP, it's a 9 hour connection. That's a throughfare.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Per OP, it's a 9 hour connection. That's a throughfare.
That's the revised connection. The original was the following day out of BRU.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It’s possible the PNR was priced as a stopover at BRU and not a connection since the onward flight was maybe more than a day later. Might be worth the OP looking into that for the impact on pricing.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is called short-checking and generally UA will not do that. You can try to sk and explain. An exception if this is overnight

Customs and access to baggage is done at destination in EU

To break into two PNR, will cause the ticket to be repriced

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! Will ask at check in and see what they say.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Didn't want to start a new thread so hope this is in the right place. I have an ANA flight next week that was booked via Chase travel, all segments on ANA metal except the first Flight which is UA LAX to SFO. I would like to short check my bags to NRT instead of them going all the way to Bangkok as I am dropping off a guitar and some presents to a friend in Narita. Layover at NRT is about 3.5 hours so plenty of time, will UA have any issue with this?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Didn't want to start a new thread so hope this is in the right place. I have an ANA flight next week that was booked via Chase travel, all segments on ANA metal except the first Flight which is UA LAX to SFO. I would like to short check my bags to NRT instead of them going all the way to Bangkok as I am dropping off a guitar and some presents to a friend in Narita. Layover at NRT is about 3.5 hours so plenty of time, will UA have any issue with this?
Generally UA will not short-check. Most employees in the bag check area are contractors and would not have the authority to short check
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally UA will not short-check. Most employees in the bag check area are contractors and would not have the authority to short check
Appreciate the info, flying C, is there any premium check in at LAX or all just contract employees and kiosks now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.