Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Short Checking" -- the practice of checking bags to a location short of your travel destination is no longer permitted by UA (and many airlines). It is believed one reason for this is to discourage "Hidden City Ticketing."

There are a couple of exceptions / loopholes
-- Over nights in route stays -- you are overnight at a connecting city.
Long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated) (>12 hours)
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck

-- Port of entry for USA arrivals
At most USA port of entries, you will have clear customs and you then can exit with your baggage (or recheck).
This does not work at IAD mid-field arrivals since must clear TSA to exit.
Also PreClearance airports (where you clear immigration and customs at the departure international city -- such as most Canada-USA flights and DUB and some Caribbean)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.
Print Wikipost

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Option 2 should work. 12 hours, you need your bag in the hotel.

If the agent gives you trouble - then you can still call and cancel the LX segments, no?
I would imagine so, but my ultimate goal is to cancel the legs only after I made to my LCY flight. I’m more concerned about agent error accidentally checking it to JMK but I guess I can check the luggage receipt 🧾 at check in to validate.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
12 hours should work, but I assume it is not over-night? I believe they can check it through and would ... will be good to have a story with the short-check ... like visiting friends in London during the layover and having gifts in the bag.
justsawaufo likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1k
I'd be careful here: This could be construed as hidden city ticketing and United might take offense to it. They can potentially revoke your status and cancel your miles. If you have a return, they definitely will cancel that.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
I'd be careful here: This could be construed as hidden city ticketing and United might take offense to it. They can potentially revoke your status and cancel your miles. If you have a return, they definitely will cancel that.
yeah, no, UA is not going to do that. The price is exactly the same (in fact less) so a re-pricing will come out cheaper in miles and tax True, there better not be a return flight ... but UA won't go after miles/status for dropping a segment on an award ticket
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
...... There's 12hrs layover in LHR ...
UA will allow short checking if over 12 hours, may not if under 12 hours.

I'd be careful here: This could be construed as hidden city ticketing and United might take offense to it. They can potentially revoke your status and cancel your miles. ...
On an one off case, not a chance.
A history of doing this, yes possible.
SPN Lifer and justsawaufo like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA will allow short checking if over 12 hours, may not if under 12 hours.

On an one off case, not a chance.
A history of doing this, yes possible.
thank you! I have 12hrs and 40mins to be exactl.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
thank you! I have 12hrs and 40mins to be exactl.
The agent may try to do you a favor and checkthru, so be clear you want the bags during the long layover.
justsawaufo likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 12:07 pm

The agent may try to do you a favor and checkthru, so be clear you want the bags during the long layover.
will do, your input is much appreciated. 🙏🏽
Old Jun 18, 2023, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Lol show me one instance where United took away someones status for missing a partner award segment..
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Lol show me one instance where United took away someones status for missing a partner award segment..
Past performance isn’t necessarily indicative of future results.

In the post-chart, fully dynamic award world, UA has clearly started pricing awards the same way that they price cash tickets, meaning they may be watching out for HCT whereas it didn’t matter before.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I think the system automatically short checks at >12 hour connection, but I’m not sure.

I had an overnight connection at EWR - this was SFO-EWR-YYZ, in Feb. I think scheduled arrival was ~10:45pm and departure was next morning at like 7:30. I thought since it was overnight, system would automatically short check, but kiosk tagged all the way through. Had to go to an agent to have them re-tag. Agent did it no problem, but used as an opportunity to train a new agent on this - beleive I heard her say that since the connection was overnight, they should do it, but because it was <12 hours, even with the overnight it wasn’t done by default.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Agent did it no problem, but used as an opportunity to train a new agent on this - beleive I heard her say that since the connection was overnight, they should do it,......
Many agents do not know how to do this - be politely persistent and allow time for it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
Flying on a multi city ticket EWR - BRU - LIS - EWR and originally was landing 7/28 and departing BRU for LIS on 7/29. I moved my outbound to 7/28 so it is now showing EWR - BRU - LIS together with a 9 hour layover. Is there any way that they'd be able to only tag my bag to Brussels so I can pick it up to take some things out and give it to a family member in Brussels (it doesn't fit in my carry on). Alternatively, is there anyway to "split" the PNR into EWR - BRU on one and BRU - LIS - EWR on another?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by ss1710
Flying on a multi city ticket EWR - BRU - LIS - EWR and originally was landing 7/28 and departing BRU for LIS on 7/29. I moved my outbound to 7/28 so it is now showing EWR - BRU - LIS together with a 9 hour layover. Is there any way that they'd be able to only tag my bag to Brussels so I can pick it up to take some things out and give it to a family member in Brussels (it doesn't fit in my carry on). ...
This is called short-checking and generally UA will not do that. You can try to sk and explain. An exception if this is overnight

Customs and access to baggage is done at destination in EU

Originally Posted by ss1710
Alternatively, is there anyway to "split" the PNR into EWR - BRU on one and BRU - LIS - EWR on another?
To break into two PNR, will cause the ticket to be repriced
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: UA MM
This is called short-checking and generally UA will not do that. You can try to sk and explain. An exception if this is overnight

Customs and access to baggage is done at destination in EU

To break into two PNR, will cause the ticket to be repriced
It’s possible the PNR was priced as a stopover at BRU and not a connection since the onward flight was maybe more than a day later. Might be worth the OP looking into that for the impact on pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.