Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Short Checking" -- the practice of checking bags to a location short of your travel destination is no longer permitted by UA (and many airlines). It is believed one reason for this is to discourage "Hidden City Ticketing."

There are a couple of exceptions / loopholes
-- Over nights in route stays -- you are overnight at a connecting city.
Long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated) (>12 hours)
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck

-- Port of entry for USA arrivals
At most USA port of entries, you will have clear customs and you then can exit with your baggage (or recheck).
This does not work at IAD mid-field arrivals since must clear TSA to exit.
Also PreClearance airports (where you clear immigration and customs at the departure international city -- such as most Canada-USA flights and DUB and some Caribbean)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.
Print Wikipost

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tr3k
If the connection is just a tad under 12 hours (say 10-11) - is there any flexibility NOT to through check a bag? ("Asking for a friend")
Discretion of the agent, sometimes yes, sometimes no
Overnight is another exception
Old Nov 4, 2022, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Discretion of the agent, sometimes yes, sometimes no
Overnight is another exception
I see. There is currently a 12hr 50 min connection, so that should be "safe" to get bags short-checked. But considering possible schedule changes.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi all, I'm trying to understand if we will be allowed to short check bags on the itinerary below. I've read all the info above but I was still not clear as it is an international connection.

The itinerary is UA metal SFO > FRA then a 5 hour 55 min stopover then LH metal FRA > DUB, all on one ticket. We would like to collect bags and recheck at FRA so we can access belongings during the long layover.

As quoted above the CoC state "except if the Passenger is making a connection to the first available UA flight departing from such intermediate point and the connection exceeds four hours, the Passenger may reclaim his/her Baggage at such intermediate connecting point".

In the discussion above it seems that people perceive this to only apply to domestic itineraries, although I am not sure why. And I suppose it could be argued we are not taking any UA flight from the intermediate point, since we are flying LH. But on the face to me it seems the spirit / intention of the rule would apply to us?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dap891

In the discussion above it seems that people perceive this to only apply to domestic itineraries, ....
correct but you have to quote the entire section
  1. To an intermediate point unless the intermediate point to which the Baggage is to be checked is a permissible Stopover point at the fare paid (except if the Passenger is making a connection to the first available UA flight departing from such intermediate point and the connection exceeds four hours, the Passenger may reclaim his/her Baggage at such intermediate connecting point).
The permissable Stopover is the issue. For domestic flights that is 4 hours or more but for international flights it at least 24 hours. So your connection in FRA does not qualify as a Stopover. But 4 hours would on a purely domestic flight.

Stopover means a deliberate interruption of travel by the Passenger, agreed to in advance by the carrier, at a point between the place of departure and the place of destination. For International flights a Stopover will also be deemed to occur at an intermediate point from which the Passenger is not scheduled to depart on the date of arrival, but if there is no connecting departure scheduled on the date of arrival, departure on the next day within 24 hours of arrival shall not constitute a Stopover. If a portion of the routing is traveled by surface transportation, one Stopover shall be deemed to have been taken for such portion. For Domestic flights, a Stopover will also occur when a Passenger arrives at a point and fails to depart from such point on:
  1. The first flight on which space is available; or
  2. The flight that will provide for the Passenger’s earliest arrival at intermediate or junction transfer point(s) or destination point, via the carrier and class of service as shown on the Passenger’s Ticket; provided, however, that in no event will a Stopover occur when the Passenger departs from the intermediate/junction point on a flight shown in the carrier’s official general schedule as departing within four hours after arrival at such point.
SPN Lifer and dap891 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:52 pm

Thx for replying!

Baggage will not be checked...To an intermediate point unless the intermediate point to which the Baggage is to be checked is a permissible Stopover point at the fare paid (except if the Passenger is making a connection to the first available UA flight departing from such intermediate point and the connection exceeds four hours, the Passenger may reclaim his/her Baggage at such intermediate connecting point).
When I read this section, I thought the effect of the words "except if" are to create a further exception such that the "intermediate point" (FRA in this case) does not need to be a "permissable Stopover point" as long as the intermediate point has a connection exceeding four hours (and the pax is taking the next available UA flight).

I am not a lawyer so I might be completely wrong, but that was what confused me.

Was also not sure if anyone has tried asking for a short check with a >4 hour but <24 hour and non-overnight international connection and had a clear answer from UA.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dap891
When I read this section, I thought the effect of the words "except if" are to create a further exception such that the "intermediate point" (FRA in this case) does not need to be a "permissable Stopover point" as long as the intermediate point has a connection exceeding four hours (and the pax is taking the next available UA flight).
You are not taking the next available UA flight, so this exception would not apply to you regardless.

The intent of the rule is to prohibit hidden-city ticketing — that is, it’s quite possible (almost certain, in fact) that UA’s fare for SFO-FRA is more expensive than the fare for SFO-FRA-DUB. They don’t want people skipping the continuing flight.

If the city is eligible for a free stopover on that fare, UA knows there’s no point in trying to argue, because a conniving passenger would just book a stopover and get access to their baggage anyway.

So, if you’d like to argue the point, you’re going to need to look at the fare rules, see if FRA is a valid stopover point, and, if so, print those rules and the CoC and get to the airport an hour earlier than usual for the argument. Or, just put whatever you want with you inside your carry-on.

Note that if you were to miss your FRA-DUB flight, any further flights on that itinerary — e.g., a return flight — would be cancelled.
SPN Lifer and dap891 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:42 pm

Ok thanks. Sounds like we shouldn’t rely on this - I’ll ask at SFO anyway just to see what they say and will report back here for the community! Flight is in a few months.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:42 pm

Not sure if this is right place to ask. I'm flying international with a domestic flight first. My first flight is on an A320 and my carryon is usually a tight squeeze, and sometimes ends up being gate checked. I'd prefer to have this bag with me on the international leg, so I'm trying to avoid getting it checked on the first leg. If it does, is there anyway to get it back when I connect in ORD? I have a 6 hour layover.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
Not sure if this is right place to ask. I'm flying international with a domestic flight first. My first flight is on an A320 and my carryon is usually a tight squeeze, and sometimes ends up being gate checked. I'd prefer to have this bag with me on the international leg, so I'm trying to avoid getting it checked on the first leg. If it does, is there anyway to get it back when I connect in ORD? I have a 6 hour layover.
Given the posts above I believe they will do that in ORD for a 6 hr lay away (It states greater than 4hrs).. I did this on an international flight were my "lay over" was 23 hrs.
UAFLYER22 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
Given the posts above I believe they will do that in ORD for a 6 hr lay away (It states greater than 4hrs).. I did this on an international flight were my "lay over" was 23 hrs.
Got it. I thought if any portion of the trip was international, they wouldn't allow it.

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:11 am

My first flight is on an A320 and my carryon is usually a tight squeeze, and sometimes ends up being gate checked.
If your bag is a tight squeeze on an A320 domestically, I would worry about it being denied as a carry-on when you check in for your return flight in Europe. The official rules are tighter in the EU and can be more strictly enforced, especially if your first leg is an intra-EU flight. Given that this is a UA forum, there's a decent chance that your return includes an LH flight, and I've found that they enforce the 8kg carry-on limit about half of the time. If your carry-on is disqualified for weight, you have three options: (1) check it, and any additional costs are on you, (2) shuffle things around with your personal carry-on and perhaps with your checked luggage and your companion's carry-on and luggage to meet the weight limit, and (3) abandon something. If your carry-on is disqualified for size, your options are reduced to checking or abandoning. I have never seen it done, but would imagine that abandoning something might trigger a security incident, so would caution against that.

Last edited by jpezaris; Feb 28, 2023 at 1:07 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jpezaris
If your bag is a tight squeeze on an A320 domestically, I would worry about it being denied as a carry-on when you check in for your return flight in Europe. The official rules are tighter in the EU and can be more strictly enforced, especially if your first leg is an intra-EU flight. Given that this is a UA forum, there's a decent chance that your return includes an LH flight, and I've found that they enforce the 8kg carry-on limit about half of the time. If your carry-on is disqualified for weight, you have three options: (1) check it, and any additional costs are on you, (2) shuffle things around with your personal carry-on and perhaps with your checked luggage and your companion's carry-on and luggage to meet the weight limit, and (3) abandon something. If your carry-on is disqualified for size, your options are reduced to checking or abandoning. I have never seen it done, but would imagine that abandoning something might trigger a security incident, so would caution against that.
Sme airports have an easy solution for this problem:

narvik likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
if it’s a daytime layover, you might be denied. Where do you typically sit? IIRC, the way the Airbus’ are, the bins in the first few rows are narrower than those toward the middle and back, so bags that might not fit in, say, F cabin might a bit further back in E+ section.

Related to the short check part, we just flew SFO-EWR-YYZ, with a ~10 hour overnight layover in EWR. I was surprised that the self bag tag machine printed out a bag tag for the the connecting flight as well - I thought for an overnight like that the system automatically made you pick up at connection. An agent happily re-checked only to EWR, which I wanted, but was training a newer agent and explained that at <12 hour layover, even for overnight, it will automatically check through all the way. She noted that she would intervene and check the bag only to the connection point only because it was an overnight layover, and that otherwise, they can not do it (though am unsure if she was referring to the ‘can not’ do it referred to policy, or the computer would not let them).
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 6:55 am

Question LAX-LHR-ZRH-JMK with long layover in LHR - can I check my bags to LHR instead?

Hi All,

I'm currently booked on award ticket (I) that routes me LAX-LHR-ZRH-JMK
  • There's 12hrs layover in LHR
  • Another 7-8 hours layover in ZRH
  • I booked another flight (BA), separately from LCY-JMK leaving 5 hours after my scheduled arrival to LHR, which gets me to JMK a day earlier.
Now what happens (checked luggage wise) if I keep the existing itin as "insurance" in case of delays and/or a scenario where I'll miss my LCY transit?

Option 1: I can adjust my original UA itin to strictly LHR-LAX, but won't have that "insurance" option.

Option 2: Leave the itin as is and ask to check the luggage to LHR?
Is that an option? Will I be able to ask the agent in LAX to simply check my bag to LHR due to the long layover in LHR?

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Option 2 should work. 12 hours, you need your bag in the hotel.

If the agent gives you trouble - then you can still call and cancel the LX segments, no?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.