Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a sUA 767 (3-class International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a sUA 767 (3-class International)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent review, as219! Jeez, what is it with you sitting across from FT'ers.

Really makes me want to try out the new config...
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
Great Report!

I can't wait to try the seat tomorrow! Now at least I have some idea on what to expect.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:09 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Nice review, thanks for posting such detailed comments! I'm a big fan of the new seats, not just the lie flat and improved IFE, but also because the fit and finish of the cabin is just so classy. ^

My initial perception was that the cabin appeared less roomy than the old C seats when seats were upright, but more roomy when seats were reclined (because as you mention seats don't recline into you).

I know when I flew in the new cabin, the F/As had a lot of problems managing with less galley space and lav access was often blocked by carts when the service was being prepared. Did you notice any of those issues?

UA sure has a winner here and I can't wait to try it on the 747 and 777!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I miss having a seat pocket in front of me. I wanted a place to put my phone, my book, a couple other miscellaneous things.. there's really nowhere to put stuff - if you put anything on that shelf, it will fall off during takeoff/landing.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with what you've said. I flew in these seats, like you did, on a surprise aircraft swap SFO->JFK last week.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I have a few ps flights coming up, so you have me hoping hoping hoping to get an aircraft swap
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:09 pm

Nice report! ^ Can't wait to try the new product myself
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:29 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by as219
Cabin: ... It's hard to describe the feeling, but a combination of having fewer seats and having them alternating backwards-forwards makes it seem even more private and spacious.
Thank you as219 for such a thoughtful post! I especially like your observation above. I can't wait to fly in such seat myself (but at the current rate of conversion and my non-transatlantic, non-domestic-widebody travel profile, I won't hold my breath. )
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:10 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Top notch review! Great tip about the AVOD pause issue.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:46 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Great report!

Can someone update us on what routes we can expect the 763/new seats on? Is IAD-FRA a sure thing now? Or is that even still up in the air (no pun intended)?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Very Nice report! Thanks as219! ^
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Great review! I agree with your assessment of the new C cabin and share your point about the width of the seat.

I am eager to see the photos you took and provide the link in this thread.
The photos are here.

I apologize in advance for the quality... I was using my phone camera, which, while decent, isn't great. I tried to snap a few pics that illustrated the feel of the cabin and the relative size/placement of its different elements.

Originally Posted by mattorb
The only thing that struck me as a weird omission was the lack of any real storage pocket for your personal effects. When I board, I usually have a book, noise-cancelling headphones, and a bottle of water in hand -- in the new C, it was awkward to find space around me for those things.
I totally forgot to mention this, and I completely agree with you. Something had to go, I guess, and this was it. To be fair, there is a small space below the footwell, but you can't put much there and it certainly isn't convenient. The Customer Care person on board did say that they were trying to find a way to put a pocket somewhere and to stay tuned...

Originally Posted by mab
This is an excellent review, and I mostly agree. (It echo some of the comments I made in my own review a couple months ago, which got burried in a huge, and senselessly combined, thread).
Which thread is that? I tried to find it...

I disagree about the across the aisle facing seats being a plus. It may be great if you know the person sitting there, but it seemed like an invasion of personal space to me. (Fortunately, the cabin was mostly empty when I flew, and so I just switched seats and got much more privacy).
Maybe you're right. Outbound the guy across the aisle slept the entire way, so I never really noticed, and inbound it was SeattleFred with whom I wanted to talk. This might be a reason to pick 10JK...

Here's a link to my (small) flickr photo set of the new seats, for those who've not seen them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbla...7604660835448/
Nice pics... Better than mine!

Originally Posted by das
I know when I flew in the new cabin, the F/As had a lot of problems managing with less galley space and lav access was often blocked by carts when the service was being prepared. Did you notice any of those issues?
I didn't hear the FAs complaining, but I did notice that the aisles are pretty narrow and that when sleeping on my back, with the armrest down, I got bumped a few times. A reason to prefer a non-aisle seat? One thing I didn't really test out was how difficult it is to "jump over" the person next to you when s/he is in the lie-flat position. I hate being stuck inside. Can anyone speak to the difficulty/ease of getting out from the window seat when your seatmate is sleeping?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 9, 2008 at 8:46 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more thing that some people may not know is that the 15 inch monitor is also touchscreen, so you can navigate the menus through either the remote control or the actual screen surface.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
One more thing that some people may not know is that the 15 inch monitor is also touchscreen, so you can navigate the menus through either the remote control or the actual screen surface.
True, though it's worth pointing out that there's so much room between the monitor and the seat that this function is not convenient to use.

Now that's what I call a problem of prosperity!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Have flown the new C class once (FRA to IAD), somewhere around January.

Definitely a great improvement, although I did note the privacy issue with the backwards-facing seats. I faced the back and another pax -- not next to me, but in a row further aft -- had a clear line of sight to my seat. Made for some awkward eye contact, I suppose, but didn't really bother me.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by EZE living
Have flown the new C class once (FRA to IAD), somewhere around January.

Definitely a great improvement, although I did note the privacy issue with the backwards-facing seats. I faced the back and another pax -- not next to me, but in a row further aft -- had a clear line of sight to my seat. Made for some awkward eye contact, I suppose, but didn't really bother me.
The other privacy issue I neglected to mention concerns the extremely thin center "armrest" if you can call it that. With the old C, there was some real room between you and your seatmate. With the new C, they had to buy extra inches where they could, and the middle armrest is one of those places. I'm guestimating only 6 inches separate you from your seatmate, and not even an inch when the internal armrests are lowered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.