Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened (Dotted line in above map)

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL250
Looking at possible routings, and NRT-LAX is the only NRT-US flight with PZ space. So I'm looking at NRT-LAX-IAD. And there is only 1 hour and 15 minutes in between my NRT-LAX flight arriving and LAX-IAD flight departing. This is all on the same reservation, I have GE/Pre, and will have carry on only.

This would be too risky, right? Have never transited through LAX before.
I think it can be done. It's about the minimum possible, so any delay on NRT-LAX causes trouble, but chances are that you'd be fine.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fumje
I think it can be done. It's about the minimum possible, so any delay on NRT-LAX causes trouble, but chances are that you'd be fine.
Originally Posted by TWA884
United's Minimum Connect Time from international to domestic at LAX is 1:10. With Global Entry and PreCheck you should be able to make it to the next gate well before they start boarding; at TBIT, with GE and no checked bags, I generally make it from plane to curb in 10-15 minutes.

Even if you were to miss your flight to IAD, United flies that route nine times a day non-stop (plus numerous connecting options), so you should be protected on a later flight.
Thanks for the help. Doesn't sound too bad.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
LAX Connection Swiss to United

Flying Swiss Airlines ZRH-LAX then connecting to United LAX-SAN all on one ticket. I figure I go thru immigration- I do have Global Entry- at the Tom Bradley Terminal and then recheck my bags there before heading over to terminal 7. What is my best way to get from the International Terminal to the United Terminal? I have about a 2.5 hour layover so plenty of time. I also have Priority Pass Access but no lounges in Terminal 7.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
You can walk airside from the TBT to terminal 7. It is a good healthy 20 minute walk. I do it all the time - great way to get some exercise after a long flight! The Alaska airlines lounge in terminal 6 is a priority pass lounge, but they frequently limit PP holders due to capacity control, especially in the morning. The Korean Airlines Lounge in TBT is also PP.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Clear security at TBIT, hang out in the *A lounge in TBIT until T-1h, then take the 15-20 min walk to T7 airside.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can clear security anywhere from TBIT to T7. If the weather's nice, I would walk outside on the departures level, then clear at T6 and see if I could get into the AS lounge. T6 also has plenty of food options (better than T7).
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
You can walk airside from the TBT to terminal 7. ...
There two ways to do this

The most direct is Street side --- you exit TBIT and turn right. and walk the sidewalk to T7 and then reclear security. This can be done on either the departure level or arrival level -- there can be some partial obstruction of the sidewalks. Probably 15-25 minutes for most

The other approach is airside -- a bit longer as it is a bit circuitous and is up and down levels. It is a bit over a mile inside security. Probably 20-30 minutes for most.

Since you have to exit the secure area as part of entry into the USA, the street method is probably the prefer approach (unless the weather is nasty -- rare for LAX)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Clear security at TBIT, hang out in the *A lounge in TBIT until T-1h, then take the 15-20 min walk to T7 airside.
OP's profile says UA *S (likely through Marriott). Without additional information, on the surface, OP would have no access into *A lounge. Also, OP has alluded to PP access instead of inquiry of other lounge access at LAX.
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Only Silver thru Marriott. Flying Swiss Business connecting to United economy so I assume no access to United Club. Scheduled layover is 2 hours 20 minutes- of course, that will depend on the timing of the Swiss flight and time it takes to clear customs at TBIT. I arrive at 4:20 PM and connecting flight leaves at 6:50 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:54 am

Help me understand connection times for my mileage run!

I booked mileage run
LHR-IAH-LAX-SYD flights on United
I have 40min to get onto flight to SYD is it possible?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Garimi
I booked mileage run
Anything is possible.

Here are some pointers to make sure you get on that flight to SYD:

1) change to a direct flight from LHR to LAX
2) change to an earlier flight from IAH to LAX
3) watch inbound flights and airport status like a hawk and have a back up plan

Your flight to LAX can arrive at either T7 or T8, if T8, RUN! Also, you may sit at LAX taxiway while your flight to SYD departs. Good luck. That is a grueling MR if in economy.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Garimi
I booked mileage run
At LAX, MCT D-I is 40 mins
Is this connection possible -- YES, is it comfortable or reasonable - no, especially for a once a day flight to SYD

While LAX rarely has weather issues, however taxi time and gate availability are regular issues and on-time arrival could be up to 15 minutes late, IAH flight could arrive in T7 (probably most common) or T8 (adding 5+ minutes in walking time), sitting in the back of the IAH-LAX plane could add 5-10 minutes (sit as far forward as you can), ....
Seat assignments could be lost at 30 minutes prior to the SYD departure. Door will close 10-15 minutes prior to departure.

There is zero room for problems or not arriving at T7
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At LAX, MCT D-I is 40 mins
Is this connection possible -- YES, is it comfortable or reasonable - no, especially for a once a day flight to SYD

While LAX rarely has weather issues, however taxi time and gate availability are regular issues and on-time arrival could be up to 15 minutes late, IAH flight could arrive in T7 (probably most common) or T8 (adding 5+ minutes in walking time), sitting in the back of the IAH-LAX plane could add 5-10 minutes (sit as far forward as you can), ....
Seat assignments could be lost at 30 minutes prior to the SYD departure. Door will close 10-15 minutes prior to departure.

There is zero room for problems or not arriving at T7
If you have status, I have found the arrivals that connect to Australia from LAX to be somewhat flexible in their departure. For me, leaving DEN, I've missed what was your minimum connect time several times and still made it - and then they still got the SYD or MEL ahead of their planned arrival time. I wouldn't plan for their generosity, but if you are stuck because of a ground delay, it usually means others are as well. Hopefully that translates into you making that flight. They have margin to make it up int he air.

As noted before for clarity: T7 in general is a quick in and out for arrivals and departures to the international flights. T8, which has been rare for me anyway, is a bit more of a haul.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:39 am

Thank You for answers
I have Gold status with A3,
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Bonvoy
LAX: Connecting from TBIT to Terminal 7/8

Will I make my connection at LAX? Swiss lands at 4:20pm (on a Sunday) at TBIT. United departs at 6:15pm from Terminal 7 or 8, which is the last flight out to my final destination. I'm considering walking between terminals if I can't find a "ride." I have Global Entry, Clear, TSA pre-check, and Premier status.

I looked at Star Alliance Connection Service but not sure if it's possible. These are two separate reservations too. I'm prepared to stay at a hotel nearby if Swiss is late.

Edit: Carry-on only. For several reasons I need two separate tickets for this trip.

Last edited by angelwings010; Jan 1, 2020 at 7:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.