Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold

I was looking for information about what the minimum connection times are for a mileage run I was planning. A search of the FAQ indicated that the information should be available in the timetable pdf available for downloads. I went to the United web site and downloaded said timetable, and guess what. There's no information about minimum connection times in there, at least not any more. There is an entry in the table of contents which presumably means United used to publish that information, but not any more. I can only conclude that this is vital national security information that United is keeping secret for security reasons.

So, does anyone know what United considers to be a legal domestic connection time at LAX? Trust me, I'm not a terrorist and I won't let any of my terrorist friends have this information.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
United reservation can answer that question. I know international to UA domestic is 75 minutes (though that's really pushing it since you have to go thru customs/immigrations/transfers/security)
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I’ve got the PDF schedule that UA put out in January. For LAX it lists the following minimum connection times:

Domestic to domestic 0:30
Domestic to international 0:30
International to domestic 1:10
International to International 1:10
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the info. It strikes me as bizarre that United would remove this info.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:27 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I’ve got the PDF schedule that UA put out in January. For LAX it lists the following minimum connection times:

Domestic to domestic 0:30
Domestic to international 0:30
International to domestic 1:10
International to International 1:10
Any idea what the minimum connection time is for a UA (domestic) to SQ (international) connection?

I was told that UA 221 (IAD-LAX) to SQ 19 (LAX-SIN) was too close at 1:15 but UA 947 (IAD-LAX) was OK. At the same time, I would not want to cut things too close even if it were to be allowed, though the 777 on the later flight is much nicer than the single aisle equipment on the earlier flight.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by IAD777
Any idea what the minimum connection time is for a UA (domestic) to SQ (international) connection?
The chart only lists UA to UA connection times.

My recollection is vague and a bit dated, but IIRC SQ flights at LAX depart from the Bradley terminal which is not linked to UA's terminals airside. You'll need to re-screen.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:57 pm

FYI this is UA's minimum connection time chart from Jan 2006. The tab formatting doesn’t come through, but the five columns are:

1. Airport code
2. Domestic to Domestic
3. Domestic to International
4. International to Domestic
5. International to International

The hyphens are there for connections that don’t apply.

Minimum United Connecting Times

Flight-to-Flight or Flight Range-to-Flight Range. Exceptions may apply.

AKL — 1:15 1:20 :45
BOS :30 :40 1:20 1:15
CPH — — — :45
DEN :30 :35 1:10 —
DUS — :40 :40 :40
EWR :25 :40 1:30 1:00
FRA — :45 :45 :45
GIG — :30 :30 :30
HKG — — — :40
HNL :45 :50 1:45 1:45
IAD :30 :35 1:00 :50
JFK :30 :30 1:15 1:00
LAX :30 :30 1:10 1:10
LHR — 1:30 1:30 1:30
MCO :25 — — —
MEX — :55 :55 :55
MIA :30 :30 1:25 1:30
MUC — :35 :35 :35
NRT — — — :50
ORD :29 :35 1:15 1:15
PDX :20 — — —
SEA :30 :30 1:10 1:10
SFO :30 :50 1:20 :50
SYD — 1:00 1:15 1:00
YYZ — :50 :50 —

All flights arriving in the United States from Aruba, Bahamas,
or Canada (except Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) should be
considered Domestic arrivals when calculating connecting
times. U.S. Customs is pre-cleared in Aruba, Bahamas, and
Canada (except Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada).

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Apr 24, 2006 at 8:06 pm
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier
Due to a schedule change, I've got a 21 minute connection in LAX... UA metal (IAD-LAX-TUS), CO ticket. Who do I contact to change my itinerary, UA or CO?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Pigeye01
Due to a schedule change, I've got a 21 minute connection in LAX... UA metal (IAD-LAX-TUS), CO ticket. Who do I contact to change my itinerary, UA or CO?
Who did you book the ticket through? UA or CO?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Who did you book the ticket through? UA or CO?
CO. The itinerary is actually EZE-IAD-LAX-TUS (B Class), all UA metal, ticketed by CO (TUS-IAH-GIG outbound, B Class). I'm trying to max EQMs.

Should I contact CO? If so, should I do it now or wait until the last minute (March itinerary, hoping Y is full). I'm switching from DL to UA and have no status on UA/CO.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
CO. The itinerary is actually EZE-IAD-LAX-TUS (B Class), all UA metal, ticketed by CO (TUS-IAH-GIG outbound, B Class). I'm trying to max EQMs.

Should I contact CO? If so, should I do it now or wait until the last minute (March itinerary, hoping Y is full). I'm switching from DL to UA and have no status on UA/CO.
I'd call CO right now. They should fix the issue for you.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
LAX is a behemoth.. If you need to leave a building and enter another, that means a security check.. and that means your connection time isn't going to be 30 minutes, it'll be one hour and 10 minutes minimum.. Travelling to the next section, going through security.. major undertaking, especially with 2 small kids (my point of view).
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
If CO issued, you should talk to them. That said, you will likely make that connection barring any issues. LAX is very easy to connect at if you are on the same airline and UA is notorious for schedule padding. I'm almost always a minimum of 15 minutes early on flights from IAD.

Originally Posted by IAD777

I was told that UA 221 (IAD-LAX) to SQ 19 (LAX-SIN) was too close at 1:15 but UA 947 (IAD-LAX) was OK. At the same time, I would not want to cut things too close even if it were to be allowed, though the 777 on the later flight is much nicer than the single aisle equipment on the earlier flight.
I would say 1:15 is doable, but on the short side of comfortable.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
If CO issued, you should talk to them. That said, you will likely make that connection barring any issues.
IMO, that's the biggest problem with an 11 minute connection. If the OP is delayed getting off the inbound, it's unlikely that they would make it. If doors are closed ten minutes prior to departure, that's 11 minutes. While UA definitely pads schedules, that's way too tight for LAX... I'd recommend calling CO immediately!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
IMO, that's the biggest problem with an 11 minute connection. If the OP is delayed getting off the inbound, it's unlikely that they would make it. If doors are closed ten minutes prior to departure, that's 11 minutes. While UA definitely pads schedules, that's way too tight for LAX... I'd recommend calling CO immediately!
Of course you call CO in this situation, as you never want to be under MCT, but LAX is probably the easiest hub to make a connection of that length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.