FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:59 pm
katan

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At LAX, MCT D-I is 40 mins
Is this connection possible -- YES, is it comfortable or reasonable - no, especially for a once a day flight to SYD

While LAX rarely has weather issues, however taxi time and gate availability are regular issues and on-time arrival could be up to 15 minutes late, IAH flight could arrive in T7 (probably most common) or T8 (adding 5+ minutes in walking time), sitting in the back of the IAH-LAX plane could add 5-10 minutes (sit as far forward as you can), ....
Seat assignments could be lost at 30 minutes prior to the SYD departure. Door will close 10-15 minutes prior to departure.

There is zero room for problems or not arriving at T7
If you have status, I have found the arrivals that connect to Australia from LAX to be somewhat flexible in their departure. For me, leaving DEN, I've missed what was your minimum connect time several times and still made it - and then they still got the SYD or MEL ahead of their planned arrival time. I wouldn't plan for their generosity, but if you are stuck because of a ground delay, it usually means others are as well. Hopefully that translates into you making that flight. They have margin to make it up int he air.

As noted before for clarity: T7 in general is a quick in and out for arrivals and departures to the international flights. T8, which has been rare for me anyway, is a bit more of a haul.