Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
These threads always devolve to intricate analyses of various credit card strategies, which seems to me pretty far OT. I agree with the general proposition that UA miles aren't worth what they used to be, and that for many of us, it doesn't make sense to put spend on a UA card, but I also appreciate that strategy may still make sense for others (or that they just don't care enough to put in the effort that's required to manage a portfolio of cards).
Old May 7, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
These threads always devolve to intricate analyses of various credit card strategies, which seems to me pretty far OT. I agree with the general proposition that UA miles aren't worth what they used to be, and that for many of us, it doesn't make sense to put spend on a UA card, but I also appreciate that strategy may still make sense for others (or that they just don't care enough to put in the effort that's required to manage a portfolio of cards).
How is discussing credit card strategies "off topic" in a thread that is discussing mileage program devaluations?

I mean literally one of the primary drivers for millage program devaluations is the proliferation of credit card points and miles. I'm not sure how one could construct a rational argument that the two are not intertwined. One literally follows from the other...

Regards
zombietooth and AJNEDC like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mariol
I disagree with your valuation of 30k miles at $300. As stated in my earlier post, I have reliably been using 100k miles for a OW J trip to Sydney, so I value the 30k miles much much higher than you do. If it's $4k each way to SYD, as you say, then the miles are worth 4cpm, so $1200 each. So my dollar value of 1k over platinum is at least $1750x7, or $12,250 less positioning flight costs.

If I thought miles were worth 1cpm, I'd be sticking to my CSR/CFU cards and booking out at 1.5x through the UR portal.
Well, I am getting 5.25 cpd cash back on all of my travel purchases on my B of A MC (No Fee) and 2.625 cpd cash back on my VISA UCR (No Fee) on everything else (except gas, where I get 8x and power/internet/phone and marketing, where I get 5x, on another card), and I can spend that on any airline. I can't avoid earning miles when I fly UA, but I certainly don't give them any CC business.

Still, I'm not critical of your usage plan, I'm just skeptical of the actual value of 1K. I've missed multiple PP UGs so far this year, and I really loathe flying in Y over the Pacific, so I value PPs far less than you.
Old May 7, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by zombietooth

Still, I'm not critical of your usage plan, I'm just skeptical of the actual value of 1K. I've missed multiple PP UGs so far this year, and I really loathe flying in Y over the Pacific, so I value PPs far less than you.
With PE having upgrade priority over Y you really need to be purchasing R fares to have a good shot at upgrades.
Old May 7, 2024, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
With PE having upgrade priority over Y you really need to be purchasing R fares to have a good shot at upgrades.
I actually do. I only end-up with a lower fare class than R if I downgrade because advance PZ is available. Most of my international travel is for business and I don't have schedule flexibility.
Old May 7, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by scubadu
How is discussing credit card strategies "off topic" in a thread that is discussing mileage program devaluations?
Well, the OP asked are there literally any sweet spots/value left? - so I think the question is about routes. But I suppose it could also be answered with frequent Ink cash sign-up bonuses
Old May 7, 2024, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
. But there seems little discussion regarding how much easier it is to earn points today than it was when redemption values were lower. You can't really intelligently discuss one side of the equation without discussing the other side of the equation.

Regards
As a 1P (now called Gold) SFO-SIN netted 34k RDM per RT in Coach. Today is is at best 16-18k ($2k fare) in Coach. For the masses, acquiring miles has gotten way more difficult. And getting a saver award of 60k RT is also tough.

Yes Polaris class can net more than 34k RDM, but that is the minority.

It is irrelevant as to finding sweet spots in the award “chart”, except where a special discount is provided for holding a UA Visa

The contorted “I get 10% rebate on $1m of groceries” nonsense is way OT

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not just a “Like” but an Amen.

Now, those who only use debit cards…..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2024 at 6:57 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 7, 2024, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The has been a steady drift in topic here on credit card impacts on the award devaluation. The OP asked an interesting question, on remaining sweet spots and that is a unique topic and there has been some useful info so far. So let's refocus the thread on the original topic. The credit card churning and escalating SUBs and earning rates are clearly a contributor on this inflation / devaluation but the why has been discussed in many other threads. Let's capture the remaining sweet spots before they also disappear

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 9, 2024, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The has been a steady drift in topic here on credit card impacts on the award devaluation. The OP asked an interesting question, on remaining sweet spots and that is a unique topic and there has been some useful info so far. So let's refocus the thread on the original topic. The credit card churning and escalating SUBs and earning rates are clearly a contributor on this inflation / devaluation but the why has been discussed in many other threads. Let's capture the remaining sweet spots before they also disappear

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Seems like intra Asia flights Korea to Japan are back down to 5k miles one way, which is actually cheaper than one month ago when it was 8.8k.
skylane and Warriorconcept like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by sundogx
Seems like intra Asia flights Korea to Japan are back down to 5k miles one way, which is actually cheaper than one month ago when it was 8.8k.
Now it's back up to 17.5k. Pricing on intra-Japan flights on NH is back to 5k (after it had gone up to 12.5k). It appears that UA is still tweaking its pricing formulae...
Old May 10, 2024, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
Now it's back up to 17.5k. Pricing on intra-Japan flights on NH is back to 5k (after it had gone up to 12.5k). It appears that UA is still tweaking its pricing formulae...
Seoul to Tokyo is still 5k on Asiana, at least as of this moment.
uanj likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tth6133
Now it's back up to 17.5k. Pricing on intra-Japan flights on NH is back to 5k (after it had gone up to 12.5k).
Only applies to the non-stops, however. Intra-Japan flights with a connection went up to 12.5k miles from 5k / 5.5k before
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like connecting flights in Japan are now back down to 5k miles

Japan - Korea went up to 12,500 however. Was 5,000 in between
Old May 27, 2024, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by delpiero223
Looks like connecting flights in Japan are now back down to 5k miles

Japan - Korea went up to 12,500 however. Was 5,000 in between
UA is still tweaking its formulae on partner award pricing...
Old May 27, 2024, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
MNL-xGUM-SPN coach Standard Award has gone up from 40K redeemable miles (RDM) to 60K.

But it is still available for 22.5K MNL-NH-xNRT-UA-SPN and for 20K MNL-ROR-xGUM-SPN. The Koror, Palau (ROR) "direct" flight makes the same Saipan connection as the nonstop to Guam.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.