Wiki Posts
Search

IT Issue: Meal Choice and Preference

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

IT Issue: Meal Choice and Preference

Hi All,

I tried search and couldn't find anything relevant. Mods feel free to adjust as needed.

I have been plagued with a seemingly phantom IT issue that I am not sure how to fix.

1) When flying domestic F with meal service, my meal choice is often deleted by the system and reset to nothing. I get an email notification of this saying "there has been an itinerary change and your meal choice has been canceled." There is no schedule/itinerary change. This happens 2-5+ times during the available times to select a meal. If I don't catch it in time right at T-24, often my meal choice is erased. This week I have domestic F flight Wed/Fri and so far I am up to 3x and 2x times choosing meal respectively.

Notably this has not happened to me on Polaris flights.

2) Years ago I was gluten free. At the time, I selected "gluten free meal" preference in my account. This was all related to stress in my life at the time and is no longer necessary for me (hasn't been for quite some time). This preference seems to be "stuck" to my account. Manual changing (and resaving) to no preference hasn't helped. My account seems to default to this old meal choice preference.

(Given the issue above), more than once, an FA has come to me to apologize for no gluten free meals on board (which I didn't actually pick...the first issue above erased my actual choice, and then this second issue inserted a gluten free meal choice as my "pick").

Ultimately, I would love to pick a meal choice once and be done with it. I have emailed 1K Voice about this and got no help.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how/who to reach out to about this problem to help fix?

Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Wow, that sounds bad. I’ll wager a guess, the lingering gluten free stuff is causing the problem because UA doesn’t offer that domestically. I’d reach out to web support to get that bit cleaned up, maybe they need to complete re-set the profile.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have had the same problem but only on flights booked through my company travel agent, where VLML is in my profile. Again this is a meal type that United does not offer.
purdue1015 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guys.

Outbound flight yesterday....at T- 23 hrs 59 min (or just after check in where I can't alter meal choice) I got the same "there's been a change to your itinerary and we have canceled your meal selection" email. That was the 5th time for the trip yesterday. No GF meal was inserted this time, though.

Thoughts on how to best escalate to web-support?
Old May 2, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is my favorite thread posted in quite some time. I’m really sorry I don’t have any answers or help for you on this but I just absolutely love that FT exists so that life’s absurdities can be exposed, discussed ad nauseam, and (hopefully) resolved. This is so Larry David and I’m here for it.
purdue1015 and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Thoughts on how to best escalate to web-support?
It might be just a matter of finding the right person willing to dig in and find the issue.

I used to have a problem years ago that was equally quirky: my applied GPUs wouldn't get deducted from my account, so when I showed up at the airport with a confirmed J seat, the check-in agent would notice that the upgrade wasn't actually 'paid' for, and downgraded the flight back to Economy.
This went on for so long, that I even requested -and was granted- an extension of the GPUs that I couldn't use because of this, when the new year rolled over.

Eventually, someone must have figured out what the issue was, and fixed it.
purdue1015 likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
This is my favorite thread posted in quite some time. I’m really sorry I don’t have any answers or help for you on this but I just absolutely love that FT exists so that life’s absurdities can be exposed, discussed ad nauseam, and (hopefully) resolved. This is so Larry David and I’m here for it.
It is very much a first world problem....but I appreciate your enthusiasm 😁 🍻

Originally Posted by narvik
It might be just a matter of finding the right person willing to dig in and find the issue.

I used to have a problem years ago that was equally quirky: my applied GPUs wouldn't get deducted from my account, so when I showed up at the airport with a confirmed J seat, the check-in agent would notice that the upgrade wasn't actually 'paid' for, and downgraded the flight back to Economy.
This went on for so long, that I even requested -and was granted- an extension of the GPUs that I couldn't use because of this, when the new year rolled over.

Eventually, someone must have figured out what the issue was, and fixed it.
Interesting. Thanks. I finally have some time on Monday to circle back on this. Will give 1K a call mid-morning. I do have some (old) acquaintances in UA Corporate (friends from 10 years ago) who I may try and reach out to as a plan B.

Will report back resolution here. I appreciate everyone's thoughts.
narvik likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 am
Original Poster

It is very much a first world problem....but I appreciate your enthusiasm 😁 🍻

Interesting. Thanks. I finally have some time on Monday to circle back on this. Will give 1K a call mid-morning. I do have some (old) acquaintances in UA Corporate (friends from 10 years ago) who I may try and reach out to as a plan B.

Will report back resolution here. I appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Resolution is to call in to 1K and have them do it manually for me over the phone 🤣

I was transferred between Mileage Plus and Mileage Plus Web Support. This bug I am having also prevents me from removing the Gluten Free option within the account settings myself (which they were pretty perplexed about).

I don't care about this that much to call in every single time (and don't think that's a good use of my or their time) but hey. I may try calling support one more time just to see if if I get a different answer. 🤷‍♂️
Old Yesterday, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It is very much a first world problem.
What's your point? Everything related to air travel is pretty much a first world problem by definition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.