Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unauthorized person in UA cockpit during Colorado Rockies charter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unauthorized person in UA cockpit during Colorado Rockies charter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by elmira56925
Until it happens. That’s A-typical pre 9/11 thinking. It’s because of that reason why we have rules in place
Until what happens? An unarmed baseball hitting coach on a private charter full of baseball players and staff hijacks a plane? The last time a private charter was hijacked was Airport 77, and they had to use sleeping gas to pull it off.

I think/hope we can all agree there was zero security risk here - the issue is judgement and following the rules - again - unless there is something else in the background we don't know about.
Spiff, weero, lincolnjkc and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Until what happens? An unarmed baseball hitting coach on a private charter full of baseball players and staff hijacks a plane? The last time a private charter was hijacked was Airport 77, and they had to use sleeping gas to pull it off.

I think/hope we can all agree there was zero security risk here - the issue is judgement and following the rules - again - unless there is something else in the background we don't know about.
It's not a good idea to make an on-the-fly judgment of the validity or worthiness of safety rules. Yes, you might get it right but safety rules are there because we often can't or simply fail to understand and consider all the possibilities on what can happen. That's why these rules can take months to develop and review instead of a person or two coming up with them in a few minutes.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's not a good idea to make an on-the-fly judgment of the validity or worthiness of safety rules. Yes, you might get it right but safety rules are there because we often can't or simply fail to understand and consider all the possibilities on what can happen. That's why these rules can take months to develop and review instead of a person or two coming up with them in a few minutes.
I'm not saying we scrap the safety rules - part 121 is part 121, charter or not. I am just saying the risk for hijacking in this case was about zero. The risk wasn't hijacking, it was accidental or intentional touching of controls and settings, creating a risk for the aircraft, or others nearby. Those risks are also considered for part 121 rules on who can enter the flight deck.

The broader risk is 1. United hiring and employing pilots who exhibit poor judgement (less likely) or 2. United's sales/marketing arm pushing down a threat or coercion on the operations arm that led to the rules being broken on this flight because no one expected it would be a safety risk, or even become known by the public.
lincolnjkc, SWCPHX, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm not saying we scrap the safety rules - part 121 is part 121, charter or not. I am just saying the risk for hijacking in this case was about zero. The risk wasn't hijacking, it was accidental or intentional touching of controls and settings, creating a risk for the aircraft, or others nearby. Those risks are also considered for part 121 rules on who can enter the flight deck.

The broader risk is 1. United hiring and employing pilots who exhibit poor judgement (less likely) or 2. United's sales/marketing arm pushing down a threat or coercion on the operations arm that led to the rules being broken on this flight because no one expected it would be a safety risk, or even become known by the public.
If it turns out this action was suggested from above then it really shows why the FAA has UA under a microscope right now. Things like that should never happen when safety is treated all across the coproration like it truly is #1.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... 2. United's sales/marketing arm pushing down a threat or coercion on the operations arm that led to the rules being broken on this flight because no one expected it would be a safety risk, or even become known by the public.
Reminder to the forum this is pure speculation without supporting evidence.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zeus2120
I think we can all agree that the hitting coach for the Rockies wasn't going to hijack the plane -- but ultimately some rules are in place for the overall greater good and strictly enforced specifically to take away even thinking about making subjective judgement calls. In this situation a judgement call was made by the pilots to allow the visit, but the rule is so strong that subjectivity shouldn't even be on the table.
There is no reason to even allow a judgement call here. There is just no good reason for letting a passenger into the cockpit while in flight. The pilots should focus on their job, which is flying the damn plane, not vetting passengers for possible security risks and then giving guided tours of the cockpit. Don’t they always tell us that unexpected turbulence can happen without warning, and to keep the seat belt fastened when seated? Having a civilian climb around the in the flight deck just makes zero sense.

(and I don’t care if airlines or regulators in other parts of the world use different rules - Lufthansa/Germanwings learned the hard way that it was a bad idea to not have a rule requiring an FA to replace a pilot on lav break in the cockpit)
Old Apr 21, 2024, 5:08 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think/hope we can all agree there was zero security risk here.
Like there's zero risk of a pilot intentionally flying the plane into a mountain? There is non-zero risk in anything, anywhere, at any time.
IAH-OIL-TRASH, st3 and atword like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Come on. Rules r there for a reason. This was a complete lack of brains situation to put everyone in. If u want to do this before or after the flight I’m fine with it. However, U never know a person mental state of mind at any time. That’s why any of us get extremely vetted before going to the White House. Yes it’s different situation but the principle is exactly the same.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I spent 10 years on the corporate risk committee at the company I retired from. Saying there is no risk associated w/ letting the Rockies employee sit in the pilot seat (or even letting any seemingly non-threatening/sane person in a cockpit) doesn't know the mathematics of risk, even with the limited data available on accidents associated with such events. One negative event automatically makes the risk non-zero. Even without a previous event the chance something bad happening has to be recognized.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer, st3 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
What's the difference between a Rockies coach and a 'shroomed up AS pilot? One is supposedly not a security risk and allowed to ride in the jumpseat.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I spent 10 years on the corporate risk committee at the company I retired from. Saying there is no risk associated w/ letting the Rockies employee sit in the pilot seat (or even letting any seemingly non-threatening/sane person in a cockpit) doesn't know the mathematics of risk, even with the limited data available on accidents associated with such events. One negative event automatically makes the risk non-zero. Even without a previous event the chance something bad happening has to be recognized.
but u can’t say that for 100% certainly with that coach in the cockpit in mid flight. We all seen stranger things happen. Which is why rules r there for everyone’s safety
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
What's the difference between a Rockies coach and a 'shroomed up AS pilot? One is supposedly not a security risk and allowed to ride in the jumpseat.
bingo!
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
No security screening is perfect but is better than not none at all.
It is all about reducing the chance.
1 in a million is better than 1 in a thousand.
Both are relatively small but you have gone from will occasionally happen to will very rarely happen.
As said earlier there is not such thing as zero risk.
DenverBrian and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
"safety" and "security" are very broad terms - especially when it comes to airlines.... and maybe some Pilots can chime in as I am sure there are some other practical reasons why no one is allowed up front while a plan is in the air.... I just cant think of any off hand, but - I aint a Pilot. Much like how hospitals restrict access to operating rooms (beyond the safety concerns)?
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: MP Silver
meh, hard to be outraged by this. just grown men having some fun!!!
Spiff and weero like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.