Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Middle East Unrest, TLV, 12 April - 4 June 2024, resuming 5 June??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
9 May 2024 Jetstream update in English
Clear statement on when flights will be cancelled, but agents can proceed with a formal cancellation.
Clear statement on LHG protection and further details
Update May 9: See updates in red for additional cancels.

We implemented a refund and change fee only travel waiver for customers who want to voluntarily cancel or change travel to/from/through Tel Aviv, IL (TLV).

Airport: Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Travel dates: April 12 - the following dates for TLV canceled flights
  • UA84 EWR-TLV through June 5, 2024
  • UA85 TLV-EWR through June 6, 2024
  • UA90 EWR-TLV through June 19, 2024
  • UA91 TLV-EWR through June 20, 2024
  • Note: On the evening of May 10, we will run a schedule to cancel the flights and remove them from availability. Until then, even if agencies see the flight in availability, agencies can follow the parameters on this page. When rebooking, do not rebook on the flights that will be canceled.

Change fee waived
Change fee waived (if applicable) and changes are permitted to Basic Economy tickets.
  • Change waiver code: OSI UA 7JCNQ
  • Rescheduled travel must begin within ticket validity of the original ticket-issue date.
  • Subject to applicable fare at time of rebooking (add-collect, if applicable.)

UA TLV cancels and Lufthansa protection: Update May 9
For the following UA TLV canceled flights, customers may be protected on the Lufthansa Group, including Lufthansa (LH), Swiss (LX), Austrian (OS), Brussels (SN):
Rebooking parameters
See the Agency Rebooking Parameters > UA Schedule Change > Additional parameters to protect on LHG-operated flights. Passengers cannot be protected on any other airline.
  • Change waiver code: OSI UA7JCNQ or OSI UASKEDCHG
  • Keep in mind that other airlines may also be canceling flights. Customers should check with the other airline before traveling.

Alternate city permitted: Update May 9
Customers may change TLV departure or arrival to ATH, AMM, or DXB for these UA TLV canceled flights:
Rebooking parameters for alternate city
  • Flights must be both operated and marketed by United. No other airline or codeshare permitted.
  • Rebook in originally ticketed cabin in any booking code on the UA flight within seven days of original ticketed travel date.
  • Customers are responsible for travel between TLV and ATH, AMM, or DXB.
  • Change waiver code: OSI UA 7JCNQor OSI UASKEDCHG

Refund permitted
Travel agents can self-refund unused coupons/tickets by adding the UAIRROPS waiver code to an OSI.
  • Refund waiver code: OSI UA UAIRROPS
Additional parameters to protect on LHG-operated flights
  • For schedule change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more, canceled flight with no protection, misconnection, or market/route changes and suspensions
    • Use UA-operated flights as first option for all protection, especially on long-haul flights.
    • When UA is not available, protect on true LHG (both operated and marketed, no codeshare) including, Lufthansa (LH), Swiss (LX), Austrian (OS), Brussels (SN) and partner carriers operating under LH/LX/OS/SN code including Edelweiss (WK), Eurowings Discover (4Y) and Lufthansa Cityline (CL). Excluded: Flights operated by Eurowings (EW) and Air Dolomiti (EN)
    • Booking class: If original booking class is not available, lowest available in same compartment may be used.
      • LH/OS/SN booking classes G/E/N are Premium Economy booking classes and cannot be used for rebooking economy class passengers. For UA Premium Economy in O/A/R protect as follows: O = G, A = E, R = N.
    • NOTE: When using alternate flights operated by LHG, new flights departure date must be +/- 3 days of original flight date.
older waiver
================================================== ==========================

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Middle East Unrest, TLV, 12 April - 4 June 2024, resuming 5 June??

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Chamor
I wonder what UA thought the odds were that it would fly in late May when it sold TLV tickets to passengers in, say, mid-April....
What about selling tickets yesterday for 5/10?!? There's just no excuse for that. UA knew they were going to cancel well before yesterday morning when they stopped selling tickets for Friday.

UA's consistent close-in cancellations to TLV since 10/7 have been an anomaly among every other carrier to TLV are is costing UA a lot in goodwill.

Close-in cancellations make it nearly impossible to get rebooked and it's causing people to book away from UA.
SPN Lifer and Chamor like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
I have a trip originally EWR to TLV 5/24 and back 5/30. Just spoke to customer service and they offered to:
1) Move flight to when United is flying again to TLV (won't work for me)
2) ATH, DXB, or AMM and can change dates to hit the AMM flight on 5/23 for example
3) Refund

I asked to rebook my ticket to catch a flight through Europe via Brussels, Zurich, etc. They said they cannot do that until 7 days before my original ticketed flight (so until 5.17, and cant fix my return flight until 5/24 by having me making a second call then). This seems absolutely unworkable to not change now for these flights. As an aside, I bought the tickets 5 days ago, though not relevent I suppose. Is this policy to change within 7 days of a flight normal? Reading the policy above and I may not fully be getting it.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by craftyabs
I have a trip originally EWR to TLV 5/24 and back 5/30. Just spoke to customer service and they offered to:
1) Move flight to when United is flying again to TLV (won't work for me)
2) ATH, DXB, or AMM and can change dates to hit the AMM flight on 5/23 for example
3) Refund

I asked to rebook my ticket to catch a flight through Europe via Brussels, Zurich, etc. They said they cannot do that until 7 days before my original ticketed flight (so until 5.17, and cant fix my return flight until 5/24 by having me making a second call then). This seems absolutely unworkable to not change now for these flights. As an aside, I bought the tickets 5 days ago, though not relevent I suppose. Is this policy to change within 7 days of a flight normal? Reading the policy above and I may not fully be getting it.
The agent is misreading the policy. You can move the date to +/- 7 days.
HUCA.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:56 am

On with customer service. They are reading the policy out loud to me. It says they cannot book us on codeshares or non UA metal. For example, I asked to be on UA 30 (EWR to MUC) and connect on LH 680 (MUC to TLV) and they said they is not permitted since it is an LH flight. They cannot book on partner flights until I am within 7 days of departure and then it will be as seats are available. Third agent.

I pointed out that I can purchase and book this exact itin on the UA web site, but no dice.

Last edited by craftyabs; May 10, 2024 at 7:57 am Reason: added more info
Old May 10, 2024, 9:17 am

On with customer service. . They cannot book on partner flights until I am within 7 days of departure and then it will be as seats are available. .
In other words: "Wait until all the LHG flights are fully booked, and then we can try to switch you to an LHG flight -- but we won't be able to do that, because the flights will be fully-booked."
ctownflyer and craftyabs like this.

Last edited by Chamor; May 10, 2024 at 9:18 am Reason: correct typos
Old May 10, 2024, 10:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
On with customer service. They are reading the policy out loud to me. ....
Have you tried a second agent?
Old May 10, 2024, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have you tried a second agent?

yes. third agent, so now it looks like I have to cancel trip entirely, which is a major bummer. I am very frustrated with united on this. Understand they make operational decisions, but the accommodation is abysmal.
uanj likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 11:41 am

yes. third agent, so now it looks like I have to cancel trip entirely, which is a major bummer. I am very frustrated with united on this. Understand they make operational decisions, but the accommodation is abysmal.
Try DMing on X or chatting in app.

They are misreading the actual policy. The problem is that once the PNR is noted, it's hard to find a rep that can use their brain. No codeshare is allowed for change of destination to AMM/ATH/DXB, but LH flights are obviously allowed for moving to LH Group to TLV.
https://jetstream.united.com/#/news-...X00000b47ZAQAY

And the 7 day policy is talking about days from the canceled flight. It should be shocking that reps can't understand their own rules, but sadly, it's not.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
On with customer service. They are reading the policy out loud to me. It says they cannot book us on codeshares or non UA metal. For example, I asked to be on UA 30 (EWR to MUC) and connect on LH 680 (MUC to TLV) and they said they is not permitted since it is an LH flight. They cannot book on partner flights until I am within 7 days of departure and then it will be as seats are available. Third agent.

I pointed out that I can purchase and book this exact itin on the UA web site, but no dice.
Is there a major difference in price?
Old May 12, 2024, 5:04 pm

This must be new, I helped some friends who were booked mid June TLV-FRA on UA code share and then FRA-EWR the next morn(they wanted the 4:30pmm flight out of TLV. Turns out the code share was dropped from that flight and they were rebooked on the 4:45AM flight on LH, which didnt work for them. I told them dont deal with UAs Phillipines call center keep calling till you get a US one. And then ask for a supervisor , which they did and were rebooked on the TLV-MUC flight @ 5PM on a LH flight# and not a UA flight#

The KEY is having to keep calling till you get a US Call Center, the Philipines agents just lie thru their teeth and make things up , the 1st one told them their flight was never confirmed and that LH had 72 hrs to confirm it and they didnt, only problem was my friends booked their tkts back in Feb and even purchased seats on it, would have paid anything to see the agents face when told that

Just wanted to add the 1stb question you should ask after your call is answered is, "Where are you based?" If the answer isnt somewhere in The US just hang up and keep calling till thats what you hear, I cant stress this enough since once you have a change made anything after that will cost you, and the agents in The Phillipines arent your friend

Last edited by theroz; May 12, 2024 at 5:27 pm
Old May 16, 2024, 6:05 am

Appreciate all the help here from people with direct and practical experience! +1 for FT community. Ultimately what we did is rebook through Munich on the way to TLV and for getting home, move to the DXB to EWR flights and purchase our own positioning flight TLV to DXB to catch the 2am DXB departure. Trip coming up in a few days, so things might play out differently as things unfold. Most interesting to me is how much work it was to find an agent that could assist - literally had to point them to the Jetstream documentation ctownflyer shared here (THANK YOU!). In this situation, the flights are booked coach, with an upgrade request to Business and the agent commented we have a better shot of getting the upgrade through DXB than through TLV in their experience. We would have considered the AMM flight, but were nervous about the land border crossing being unpredictable time wise.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.