Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots Locking Lavatory Door In Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I don't quite understand how security issue is related locking one of the bathrooms.
The issue is with a pilot having to stand in line to use the washroom. Pilots belong in the cockpit as much as possible, not loitering in the aisles.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The issue is with a pilot having to stand in line to use the washroom. Pilots belong in the cockpit as much as possible, not loitering in the aisles.
Can’t they just cut the Queue like they do at TSA instead of closing off an entire bathroom?
I hope people are reporting this when it happens.
Spiff, TommyD2, PATRLR and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Unclear which case are an uncompliant lav or a commandeered lav? Really two different situations. But poor optics without clearer qualification.
jpezaris, nnn, kahuna1993 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by clubord
That happens when there is a maintenance differal related to the lavatory, usually an inoperative smoke detector or something with the fire suppression system in the trash can.

The lavatory functions work normal, but without the fire/smoke related items the FAA has authorized it only for crew use only in those situations. We don’t like having that differed either and completely understand the inconvenience it causes.
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
That makes 100% sense - thank you! I thought about asking why you don't just make an announcement -- and then I realized all of the downstream carnage from that -- i.e. "We are flying a plane that doesn't meet standards -- what else isn't right" lol... Sometimes TMI is really TMI...
I’d prefer a more forthcoming explanation such as this as opposed to some of those statements mentioned in the original post.
cesco.g, DJ_Iceman, nnn and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by econ
I’d prefer a more forthcoming explanation such as this as opposed to some of those statements mentioned in the original post.
Agreed. As I think about this, the “non-compliant lav” theory is probably the “real” explanation on most of the “commandeered lav” flights, despite the poor communication (intentional or not).

I just can’t see UA blocking off one of only 2 lavs on a 34-passenger long-haul J flight just so pilots could “skip the line” once or twice during the flight. If that was the objective, couldn’t the crew just use a few carts to temporarily block off access to one of the lavs when the cockpit gives advance notice, just as they do on domestic narrow bodies? Or, as someone else suggested, just have the cockpit crew jump any queue.
bmwe92fan and VRFast like this.

Last edited by st530; Mar 1, 2024 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Highly doubtful pilots blocked off a lav for the entire flight. Years ago there were 2 lavs at door 1 on the 764 so it was never an issue. Now PF pax also have PE pax using the 2 lavs at door 2, thats why pilots block 1 lav when rotating in/oit of the pit. Another fake story from that site.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by featheroleather
Highly doubtful pilots blocked off a lav for the entire flight. Years ago there were 2 lavs at door 1 on the 764 so it was never an issue. Now PF pax also have PE pax using the 2 lavs at door 2, thats why pilots block 1 lav when rotating in/oit of the pit. Another fake story from that site.
Another "fake" story.

The comments coming from pilots on that story are amazing.

Like this one:

Pilots are FLYING THE PLANE and are charged with your safety. Their schedule in flight is tight and regulated. They need access to the facility and should not have to wait because some entitled a-hole is holed up in the bathroom.
Tell me how you really feel...

The story is true. The only BS is the "security" quip from the captain.
cesco.g, Spiff, SPN Lifer and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I would simply flip the cover when no one was looking. If someone wanted to bang on the door or flip the cover themselves while I was in there, good luck to them then
Spiff, SPN Lifer and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by cfischer
Yep, I have seen that happen before.
Yes, I have seen that also. And I don't recall an announcement of an inoperable lavatory.

Originally Posted by clubord
That happens when there is a maintenance differal related to the lavatory, usually an inoperative smoke detector or something with the fire suppression system in the trash can.

The lavatory functions work normal, but without the fire/smoke related items the FAA has authorized it only for crew use only in those situations. We don’t like having that differed either and completely understand the inconvenience it causes.
I don't think this is the explanation most of the time. At least in my experience the blocked lav was the closest one to the cockpit.

Originally Posted by featheroleather
I wish I could share your confidence in how pilots view passenger comfort. On the upper deck of the 747 there were West Coast based pilots who would block one off the first of two lavs for either the entire flight or the last two hours. I once questioned a pilot about it when he was in the back galley and he said it you don't like it take it up with United management. I had asked in a non-confrontational way but the pilot was not going to entertain any discussion of his action.
SPN Lifer and nnn like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell (Post # 5)
Flip the cover up and unlock it once the pilot is out of sight?
Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post # 7)
But yeah, if I see a pilot come out of a lav and lock the door from the outside, I would be tempted to unlock the door myself once the pilot and any FAs are out of sight.
Originally Posted by eightblack (Post # 23)
I would simply flip the cover when no one was looking. If someone wanted to bang on the door or flip the cover themselves while I was in there, good luck to them then
Opening a locked lavatory is a good skill for all FlyerTalkers to master. "When you've got to go, you've got to go."

Do not practice this on other passengers! The best time to practice is when there is a sign that the lavatory is closed for the reminder of the flight.
uanj, eightblack, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by cfischer
Yep, I have seen that happen before. It stinks, but what can you do.
Fly Lufthansa and avoid this sort of BS.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:40 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As someone who attempts to stay hydrated one less working lavatory may be an accident waiting to happen as folks get older.
I'm probably crazy, but I pay attention to pax/lav ratios and sometimes base my seat selection on proximity to lavs. On my last SQ A380 flight, for example, I chose a seat in the rear J section on the right side because it's close to the 4 lavs between the 2 J sections and the single rear lav which is on the right side. If pilots started commandeering lavs for their exclusive use I'd be pissed. I also like to stay hydrated and want easy lav access.
uanj and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
If pilots started commandeering lavs for their exclusive use I'd be pissed.
There’s a fairly obvious joke here.
SPN Lifer, st3, st530 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uanj
I wish I could share your confidence in how pilots view passenger comfort. On the upper deck of the 747 there were West Coast based pilots who would block one off the first of two lavs for either the entire flight or the last two hours.
Yep. I once got involuntarily moved to row 12 on the 744 for SFO-FRA and the pilots commandeered a lav for virtually the entire flight (and held lengthy gab fests with the FAs right in front of it). One of my worst UA flights ever. Couldn't get any sleep at all.

So it is to me absolutely credible that the pilot simply commandeered the lav without regard for passenger experience.
nnn and goodeats21 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 4.4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Pay attention and you can figure out how to open the door. I had a Delta pilot try this stunt and I was kind of OK with it but it turns out their spouses were on the plane and so they got to use the pilot restroom. Oh, no game up! I not only unlocked the door and let people use it. I filed a complaint with Delta got miles for this stupid move

The Delta pilot i later asked about this admitted that it is not any kind of security measure. They just don’t want to have to wait because they’re so special.😂
I can see the point. 764s with augmented crews have "crew swap" at specific times, and usually all pilots will take a restroom break in succession at this time. When one pilot leaves the rear-of-J 764 lav and locks the door, it's being "held" for the next pilot who will use in a minute or two after the swap in the cockpit. That way, the subsequent pilot user won't have to wait in line. Fair, or unfair can be debated, that's the rationale.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.