Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots Locking Lavatory Door In Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
This is also why the pilot/FAs have to be vague on why the lavatory is locked.

If the FA announced one lavatory is out of service due to a non-working smoke alarm, what's the over/under of someone rushing in there to light up/vape? I would put it at 5 minutes.
They can just say "it's out of service for maintenance" - provided that's a truthful claim.

And as to the pilot rotation procedure, I don't have a problem with the lavatory being reserved for 20-30 minutes to allow everyone to use the restroom in sequence during the switch-over - just hang a sign that reads "Lavatory temporarily reserved for flight crew" - provided the sign is in fact temporary, and this is the intended purpose. Not like the seat belt sign that remains on for 12 hours.
lilpisher and chavala like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
They can just say "it's out of service for maintenance" - provided that's a truthful claim.

And as to the pilot rotation procedure, I don't have a problem with the lavatory being reserved for 20-30 minutes to allow everyone to use the restroom in sequence during the switch-over - just hang a sign that reads "Lavatory temporarily reserved for flight crew" - provided the sign is in fact temporary, and this is the intended purpose. Not like the seat belt sign that remains on for 12 hours.
We used to have a sign that said exactly that, literally word for word. Small segment of the population got upset and offended so that went away quite a few years ago.
SPN Lifer, m.y, bmwe92fan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
On some of the 777 / 787's that we fly to / from Tokyo we've seen some type of "gate" that comes out f the wall that effectively closes off the front LAV and the FA doesn't have to stand there with the cart -- I guess most planes don't have that.... We've never seen it stay close for that long -- or used as a way to make a separate crew lav...
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
On some of the 777 / 787's that we fly to / from Tokyo we've seen some type of "gate" that comes out f the wall that effectively closes off the front LAV and the FA doesn't have to stand there with the cart -- I guess most planes don't have that.... We've never seen it stay close for that long -- or used as a way to make a separate crew lav...
Those are the secondary barriers which will be required on new airplanes when the new rule goes into affect.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...er-2023-06-14/
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Haven’t those been around for a while? I recall something like that used on the 757 years ago, but perhaps that was a more rudimentary version of what you’re describing.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by econ
Haven’t those been around for a while? I recall something like that used on the 757 years ago, but perhaps that was a more rudimentary version of what you’re describing.
I don’t remember if it was on all of them, but that goofy secondary barrier was only installed on the legacy United 757-200’s.
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by clubord
I don’t remember if it was on all of them, but that goofy secondary barrier was only installed on the legacy United 757-200’s.
Yeah the PS/PTS flights was where I mostly remember them from. Didn’t know they were only on that aircraft.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by econ
I remember those. Weren't they on the 747s as well? I have a memory of them on TPAC trips...
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
Fly Lufthansa and avoid this sort of BS.
The lav beside door 1 in the Lufthansa A359 has been claimed by the crew thru the pilots union:

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:55 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
Fly Lufthansa and avoid this sort of BS.
I hate to tell you that I had this happening on three LH flights on an A343 last year, but it was the cabin crew locking the bathroom by door 1, not the pilots. They claimed that they needed it for themselves and asked the passengers to use the lavatories at the rear of the business class cabin. I complained at customer service and they apologized for what was apparently behavior contrary to corporate policy.

At least on the A359 oliver2002 mentioned above there is no bathroom shown on the official seatmap by door 1, so one could argue that there shouldn't be an expectation from the passengers to be able to use it (if there indeed is one, I haven't checked).
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Mar 5, 2024 at 7:08 am
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
When the A359 went into service in 2017 the front lav was shared by crew and C pax. At some point ca 2018 that was deemed no good and the toilet signs masked as shown in my previous post. Now the divider/curtain has a red traffic sign proclaimaing no entry. The same happened in the A343.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
I will chime in late, as I've experienced this FOUR times since December.

2 international and 2 domestic trips. All in the front of the plane. Each time, the flight attendant let us know the front lav was unavailable. Only once did they use the word inoperable. And each time it was used by crew as far as I could tell. (You can see them, but also the light go from red to off/green).

In general, it wasn't an issue. However on one cross country from SFO to IAD, we had a lot of turbulence. The seatbelt sign was on probably 90% of the flight and it wasn't just a suggestion! So when the sign went off, there was the mad dash for the lavs at the back of the plane. If the one in front was operable, it was an un-kind joke on those of us 20+ deep lined in the aisles.
bmwe92fan likes this.

Last edited by gsalem94122; Mar 5, 2024 at 1:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:52 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by gsalem94122
I will chime in late, as I've experienced this FOUR times since December.

2 international and 2 domestic trips. All in the front of the plane. Each time, the flight attendant let us know the front lav was unavailable. Only once did they use the word inoperable. And each time it was used by crew as far as I could tell. (You can see them, but also the light go from red to off/green).
What aircraft?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
Originally Posted by ani90
What aircraft?
Dec - 767 (international. one upfront was open)
Jan - 777-300 (international, 2 mid-Polaris were open)
Feb - 737 (domestic with only available bathrooms in rear)
Feb - 737 Max (domestic with mid-cabin available bathroom)

So to be transparent, I have flown about 20 flights on UA since early December. So that's 20% with unavailable bathrooms. Always next to the pilot.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gsalem94122
Dec - 767 (international. one upfront was open)
Jan - 777-300 (international, 2 mid-Polaris were open)
Feb - 737 (domestic with only available bathrooms in rear)
Feb - 737 Max (domestic with mid-cabin available bathroom)

So to be transparent, I have flown about 20 flights on UA since early December. So that's 20% with unavailable bathrooms. Always next to the pilot.
The first time I board a 737 without a mid-cabin lav, and the front lav is closed for selfish crew reasons, is probably the last time I fly UA domestically. Two lavs for 166 on a 738 or 179 on a 739 is ridiculous, especially on a long flight.
Spiff and uanj like this.

Last edited by halls120; Mar 5, 2024 at 10:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.