Pilots Locking Lavatory Door In Polaris

Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:10 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Posts: 1,674
unfortunately from reading the responses, I sense that people have a hard time believing that there might actually be good reasons why a bathroom is not available to pass but ok for crew

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2024 at 6:43 pm Reason: See PM
mfirst is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:26 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 8,228
Originally Posted by uanj
What I am saying is that they did this for the duration of the flight.
Then it was likely a maintenance deferral that allowed only use by crew. There's no other reason to block it for the whole flight.
choch345 and LaserSailor like this.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:42 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Posts: 2,963
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Then it was likely a maintenance deferral that allowed only use by crew. There's no other reason to block it for the whole flight.
LarryJ, no other reason unless the pilots wanted it reserved for their use at any time they wished. You seem like a nice, professional guy. As most UA pilots are. And thanks for posting here! But not all my flights have been piloted by crew as considerate to their passengers as you are. I am not talking about the times there was an announcement broadcast or taped on the door. But I will give up as I seem not able to get my message through.
featheroleather likes this.
uanj is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:58 am
  #154  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 8,228
Originally Posted by uanj
unless the pilots wanted it reserved for their use at any time they wished.
I wasn't on your flight so have no direct information about what occurred there. I do know that if I suggested such a thing to my co-workers on my next flight I'd be laughed at. First, for there being no reason to do it and; second, because it would be ridiculous to do. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the F/As on the flight reported it through their channels if we tried.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 2:08 pm
  #155  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I wasn't on your flight so have no direct information about what occurred there. I do know that if I suggested such a thing to my co-workers on my next flight I'd be laughed at. First, for there being no reason to do it and; second, because it would be ridiculous to do. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the F/As on the flight reported it through their channels if we tried.
To echo the sentiment: If I, as an FA, tried that on a flight, I would be shouted at for such a ridiculous attempt. It makes everyone's life harder. If a pilot tried it, professional standards would be called, and if it was early enough pre-departure, it's very likely the call would have been made before passengers ever boarded.

Without looking up any particular flight (not that the records exist anymore), I would bet it is far more probable that something in the lavatory required it to be blocked off, instead of some nefarious actions by an entire 10+ person crew crew -- because it would, in fact, take the whole cabin crew knowing in order to keep the lav locked and operable for only the pilots.

The current blue stickers can (and often, do) fall off. Sometimes there are no blue stickers around to use. Sounds like the instant story was many years ago, so I can't say that the blue sticker protocol was even in place.
fezzington is offline  
Old Apr 6, 2024, 3:49 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by fezzington
To echo the sentiment: If I, as an FA, tried that on a flight, I would be shouted at for such a ridiculous attempt. It makes everyone's life harder. If a pilot tried it, professional standards would be called, and if it was early enough pre-departure, it's very likely the call would have been made before passengers ever boarded.
But it's so much more fun for people to make up stories or explanations based on crew shenanigans than to accept there are times or situations where the company can accept the relatively low risk of crew using equipment that isn't 100% but can't risk passengers who might misunderstand what's wrong or who might make the situation worse.
ExplorerWannabe is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2024, 12:18 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 4,116
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I wasn't on your flight so have no direct information about what occurred there. I do know that if I suggested such a thing to my co-workers on my next flight I'd be laughed at. First, for there being no reason to do it and; second, because it would be ridiculous to do. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the F/As on the flight reported it through their channels if we tried.
I think this may be the message that isn't getting through to some, which is that there is absolutely no incentive for flight crew to unecessarily block off a lavatory "for their own use". It's not like it's the VIP lounge at a fancy nightclub. They can use the lavatory whenever they want regardless of whether it's blocked off.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
physioprof is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:10 pm
  #158  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 42,333
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
But it's so much more fun for people to make up stories or explanations based on crew shenanigans than to accept there are times or situations where the company can accept the relatively low risk of crew using equipment that isn't 100% but can't risk passengers who might misunderstand what's wrong or who might make the situation worse.
But itís so much more professional for crews to take a moment to be clear and transparent in a non sarcastic tone to explain why a cabin feature may be unavailable to customers. No need for a technical breakdown, but an explanation with apology works wonders
cmn.jcs and chavala like this.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:29 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by physioprof
I think this may be the message that isn't getting through to some, which is that there is absolutely no incentive for flight crew to unecessarily block off a lavatory "for their own use". It's not like it's the VIP lounge at a fancy nightclub. They can use the lavatory whenever they want regardless of whether it's blocked off.
On some 4th world destinations, crews prefer LAA lavs..
Least
Amount
Butts
featheroleather is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.