Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by nigos
Our EWR-HNL flight on Jan 30 took 15 hours! But that is because we had to divert to SFO because we lost hydraulics and had no flaps
must have made for an exciting landing. i'm surprised this one didn't get more attention on FT.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Our EWR-HNL flight on Jan 30 took 15 hours! But that is because we had to divert to SFO because we lost hydraulics and had no flaps
Lost hydraulics???? that sounds pretty bad. Maybe they lost the primary and still had the backups? Sounds like an episode of air disasters.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
must have made for an exciting landing. i'm surprised this one didn't get more attention on FT.
As part of SOP, the SFO fire department was out in force but the landing was simply fast but very smooth. The pilot told me this was his first real time hydraulic failure experience but they had lots of practice in the simulator. The replacement aircraft had an identical configuration but different movies loaded into the IFE. Unfortunately it also has a mechanical that added time to the delay. What impressed me was the attitude of the crew. They could have timed out but instead they continued on to HNL. I guess they looked forward to the sun with as much enthusiasm as most of the passengers. Everyone seemed to cope well with the experience.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Lost hydraulics???? that sounds pretty bad. Maybe they lost the primary and still had the backups? Sounds like an episode of air disasters.
We lost the primary, had no flaps on landing and the pilot told me they had to rely on a wind driven backup system. This required special attention to the landing gear as well. I have had more than my share of unusual events on mainline aircraft over the years but this was handled better than any I previously experienced.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:24 pm

It has to be this. I think that there are a total of 3 independent hydraulic systems. I would be shocked to hear that all 3 were lost and that they managed repair and continued on.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yes I figured the fact that they landed safely, they did not lose all three. I think only one flight has been able to land safely after losing all hydraulics (dhl the got clipped by a stinger I think).

Anyways, on a ligher note, I'm taking EWR-HNL tomorrow and gathering together my things. I know there's no amenity kit, but do they provide slippers?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:09 pm

Yes I figured the fact that they landed safely, they did not lose all three. I think only one flight has been able to land safely after losing all hydraulics (dhl the got clipped by a stinger I think).

Anyways, on a ligher note, I'm taking EWR-HNL tomorrow and gathering together my things. I know there's no amenity kit, but do they provide slippers?
They provide a decent pillow and a reasonable blanket but that's it.

The Red Eye departs HNL relatively late and they provided a snack but no nuts plus a breakfast egg sausage muffin before landing at EWR. I also flew the HNL to IAD several weeks ago and the dinner was not wonderful but at least they served nuts with drinks. For my money, I think the IAD to HNL or EWR to HNL are the most tolerable way to transit between HNL and the east coast. I don't expect nor do I care much about the food but the hard product works for me.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:53 pm

They provide a decent pillow and a reasonable blanket but that's it.

The Red Eye departs HNL relatively late and they provided a snack but no nuts plus a breakfast egg sausage muffin before landing at EWR. I also flew the HNL to IAD several weeks ago and the dinner was not wonderful but at least they served nuts with drinks. For my money, I think the IAD to HNL or EWR to HNL are the most tolerable way to transit between HNL and the east coast. I don't expect nor do I care much about the food but the hard product works for me.
Alright, I think i have an extra slipper from my last BF flight.

EWR-HNL, it says Breakfast and snack so I'm expecting the standard egg+hockey puck thing. not sure about snack, I heard you get a burger.
HNL-EWR is actually listed as Dinner/Snack, I think because of day light savings? Either way, I plan to eat dinner at a restaurant before.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Ha, that's a good one...you know the answer to that
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
EWR-HNL, it says Breakfast and snack so I'm expecting the standard egg+hockey puck thing. not sure about snack, I heard you get a burger.
HNL-EWR is actually listed as Dinner/Snack, I think because of day light savings? Either way, I plan to eat dinner at a restaurant before.
The snack will probably be the mediterranean plate. Definitely a good idea to dine in Honolulu (Marukame!) and bring your own snacks on the plane.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The snack will probably be the mediterranean plate. Definitely a good idea to dine in Honolulu (Marukame!) and bring your own snacks on the plane.
yup yup, I did lots of reading on FT. If I weren't a FTer, I'd prob get on that flight assuming it would be like BF or at least alot closer to BF than a typical Tcon.

My layover in HNL heading back to EWR is only 4hrs. I figure maybe 30min to get off my HA flight, make it over to the UA counter to check my bag. Then I need to be back at the airport at least 45min before my flight (tsa pre should helo). so that's really less than 3hrs. I posted a note on the HI forum. someone suggested Nico's
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Alright, I think i have an extra slipper from my last BF flight.

Ewr hnl snack on 2/14 was a warm chicken wrap, fruit, salad and little cookie or brownie thing. It was kind of a warm Mexican style wrap.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:56 am

Actually just got a call saying my EWR-HNL flight is delayed 6 hours! This is going to be a long day.

Last edited by eng3; Mar 9, 2014 at 3:26 am
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Actually just got a call saying my EWR-HNL flight is delayed 6 hours! This is going to be a long day.
Drag. Looks like another one for this thread: uniteds-hawaii-services-flights-unreliable

Seems now virtually a daily occurrence that there are major delays on the Hawaii flights.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Just curious any reasons for any FTers on this forum not to choose JFK-LAX/SFO-HNL? I find the PS service out of JFK excellent with BF lie-flat seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.