Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
My favorite benefit is IRROPs.

During the storms in the Mid-Atlantic on 7/23 My phone call is immediately picked up by an agent and I'm re-booked in the last E+ seat on an earlier flight (and just beat the storm)

This has happened during other storms as well. I feel as if they give the priority to Silvers, Golds and Platinums based solely on when calling in. If true (just speculating...), I LOVE that as a Silver and I'd be upset if I was a platinum

This benefit alone is worth qualifying for silver each year
Yes the difference between the regular call center and the premium line is day and night. The phone reps for united as a silver were far more helpful than the BA silver reps.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:21 pm

Plz help with a question...I tried to search

but to no avail.
Would a Silver pax get a companion in an E+ seat on international flight for free on the day of travel ?
Thanks .
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by AA2MM
but to no avail.
Would a Silver pax get a companion in an E+ seat on international flight for free on the day of travel ?
Thanks .
Yes, a United Premier Silver is allowed to confirm 2 Economy Plus seats at check-in, one for his/her self and one companion.

See: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...myseating.aspx
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Must the companion be on the same PNR?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:47 pm

I guess reservation would allow it if they are on the same flight...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thank you so much. My niece would be so happy she can get the E+ seat for her hubby.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
no-but they must be on the same flight. If different PNRs, you can call in and have the other person in E+ when you check-in
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Can the Silver elite call in within 24 hrs of online check in...

to ask to be moved to the Y+ seat or it has to be done only at the airport ?
My poor niece right now does not even has a seat next to her husband...on their honey moon flight.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AA2MM
to ask to be moved to the Y+ seat or it has to be done only at the airport ?
My poor niece right now does not even has a seat next to her husband...on their honey moon flight.
Thanks for your help in advance.
It can be done online, during online check-in.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by crosscountry58S
Cleared for the first time (out of 12 segments this year, but not all with an F cabin) as a Silver at about T-23 last night for LAX-ORD red eye tonight. Unfortunately, though not surprisingly, my GM travel companion has not yet cleared. She is the second of two currently shown on the UG list (now at about T-12) but 19/20 booked. So the question is how long do I wait before giving up my F seat and going back to E+. We want to sit together, even if it means forgoing two separated F seats. E+ is wide open and as others have mentioned, have had only good luck with that at check in as a Silver. So it seems like I might as well wait a while in the event that somehow more F seats become available.
Brief follow-up: Companion ended up farther down on UG list and was obviously not going to clear, so I wanted to move back to E+. This proved to be more difficult than I expected. CSR at origin airport (not the segment for which I was upgraded) was not able to do it based on fare classes (from what I understood) and neither was phone agent I spoke with. Finally was able to get CSR at the gate at departure airport for upgraded segment (second leg of the trip) to do it at the last second before boarding, since no CSR showed up until shortly beforehand and a decent line then instantly formed. Has anyone else come across this? Wondering if this is the norm.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by crosscountry58S
Brief follow-up: Companion ended up farther down on UG list and was obviously not going to clear, so I wanted to move back to E+. This proved to be more difficult than I expected. CSR at origin airport (not the segment for which I was upgraded) was not able to do it based on fare classes (from what I understood) and neither was phone agent I spoke with. Finally was able to get CSR at the gate at departure airport for upgraded segment (second leg of the trip) to do it at the last second before boarding, since no CSR showed up until shortly beforehand and a decent line then instantly formed. Has anyone else come across this? Wondering if this is the norm.
Yes, fare class is the mandate. But this is not the norm. Most of us give the upgrade to the better half, or swap with the person who took our seat. Both avoid the GA. The 2nd option is unpalatable with some FTers (who feel the next person on the UG list should get the seat).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, MB Silver, BW Diamond
Completed challenge this year based on my DL status to Silver. Have flown 10 CPU eligible segments this year and have been upgraded 5 times, including PIT to EWR twice, ORD to YVR, YVR to SFO, and SFO to PIT (my companion on another PNR was also upgraded on this flight as well using the advice from earlier posts). No issues getting E+ on the remaining segments and the international flights.

Last edited by chekyo4; Oct 13, 2014 at 7:54 am
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes, fare class is the mandate. But this is not the norm. Most of us give the upgrade to the better half, or swap with the person who took our seat. Both avoid the GA. The 2nd option is unpalatable with some FTers (who feel the next person on the UG list should get the seat).
Ya I agree. I just swap with someone next to my "better half" most of the times i dont have a problem with someone willing to sit in first class
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Gold
Non status family member on a different PNR is on the same international flight as me this month , to get him E+ at if open at check in do I have to call United to do so or is there other way to accomplish this
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SOORBraves
Non status family member on a different PNR is on the same international flight as me this month , to get him E+ at if open at check in do I have to call United to do so or is there other way to accomplish this
You have to call.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya
Both of these were my last resorts, and good to know that these are the norm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.