Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by MTan
I had that same splash picture for a day or two. No issues with that. I’m on iOS and it auto updated an hour ago, and there’s a new splash video that advertises Star Wars. It’s only 5 seconds long or so, but I find it very irritating that it insists on playing each time I open the app.
When I unloaded my Android app from memory and restarted it, I saw the animation. It's just a new splash screen that displays for the same length of time as the old one did. The animation makes it more attention-grabbing, which may make the time seem longer.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I have Android and no video loads for me although I can see the Star Wars stuff. I'm not really sure what purpose any of it serves except to make George Lucas even richer. I'm also not complaining about not getting a video if anyone from United is looking!

Now, perhaps if they could go into "hyperdrive" and fix the "Sorry, the seat map cannot be displayed at this time" issue I always seem to have that would be better use of their time.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Ok I see the video / splash entry now (iOS). Yeah, I agree that's a bit irritating, TBH.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:46 am

The iOS update notes said the app was being updated for the new CRJ-550. Out of curiosity I checked both flight status and mock booking for a CR5 flight before and after the update and saw no noticeable difference in how the flight/plane info were displayed. What am I missing?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:46 pm

iOS screen brightness not restored to earlier level

The screen automatically brightens up a few levels when viewing the boarding pass (great), but when you exit the BP screen ... it doesn't restore the previous brightness level. Instead, it is noticeably darker
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Huh, maybe this feature has been there forever and I just never noticed/tried it before, but TIL you can pin a BP and have one-tap access to bring it back up as needed.

EDIT: I guess it's a bit buggy, because I did something and the overlay disappeared, but I can't re-pin it because the app still things it's pinned and it will only let you pin one BP at a time

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 8, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Star Wars splash co-marketing - once was enough!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
Ok I see the video / splash entry now (iOS). Yeah, I agree that's a bit irritating, TBH.
It has now infected my Android. Presumably in the light of every other recent change they listened to what the customers were saying. Hands up, who was it?!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:33 am

Seriously though, the only change is that the splash screen has a busier animation. I'm certain it displays for the same length of time as it did before.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Seriously though, the only change is that the splash screen has a busier animation. I'm certain it displays for the same length of time as it did before.
If this is the case, and provided it's synchronizing/refreshing during the splash, I'm ok with it.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
If this is the case, and provided it's synchronizing/refreshing during the splash, I'm ok with it.
I don't know whether it's doing anything productive, but it's had a several-second pause when loading at least since the new app was launched. You don't always see it on the Android version because it's often already in memory and active.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It has now infected my Android. Presumably in the light of every other recent change they listened to what the customers were saying. Hands up, who was it?!
Interesting. I just checked, and my Android phone (with all apps up-to-date) doesn't show any Star Wars splash screen or video. Maybe because I'm registered with MP to my overseas home address? i.e. Maybe the promo is only for N.American users?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Interesting. I just checked, and my Android phone (with all apps up-to-date) doesn't show any Star Wars splash screen or video. Maybe because I'm registered with MP to my overseas home address? i.e. Maybe the promo is only for N.American users?
I have a strong hunch the splash screen comes from a file update, not an app update. Try unloading the United app from memory and restarting it.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I have a strong hunch the splash screen comes from a file update, not an app update. Try unloading the United app from memory and restarting it.
Cycling the power worked for me.
BTW, I timed the app startup before and after the splash screen, no difference in startup time (about 5 seconds for my older phone).
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1984SW
I don't think so, I have an overseas address although I am using it in NA at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.