Search

Are you a UA appaholic?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by fumje
My app updated today, and I still see them in the hamburger bar menu ("game center")

Interesting that I also see a new medical volunteers informational section. Was that always there? Someone at UA app central been reading this thread? Responding to a medical emergency in flight 🤔
I don’t ever recall seeing the medical volunteer section before; perhaps someone at United has been getting ideas from FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I don’t ever recall seeing the medical volunteer section before; perhaps someone at United has been getting ideas from FlyerTalk!
It wouldn't be the first time they take inspiration from here! (Unfortunately they never use any of our best ideas, such as opening all PZ for the next month.)

The medical volunteer section doesn't seem to have any function aside from giving some basic information about medlink, and kind of harping that medlink's doc is the lead. I wonder if they plan to add some kind of opt-in there, though?

Here are some picture of it:

SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's been hanging up for me quite a bit recently. I think they broke something.

But it's still a great app.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I definitely feel the app has gotten more bloated over the years, but it still feels best in class compared to the competition (DL a close second, maybe AS third, AA is just a disaster).

It’s the only airline app I keep on my phone consistently, though I do fly UA a lot.
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I would only say that DL is a distant second. Otherwise I agree with your statement.

UA app is best in class. I use the DL app quite a bit, and to say it has flaws is an understatement - all style but substance challenged.
Agreed that UA app is the BEST airline app in the world, bar NONE.

However, UA app on my iPhone frequently crashes these days.

Anyone know why???
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by kb1992
Agreed that UA app is the BEST airline app in the world, bar NONE.

However, UA app on my iPhone frequently crashes these days.

Anyone know why???
In my android app I don't have issues but I also block 6 out of the 14 apis called to third party data harvesters.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I don't like how account has displaced flight status. I look at flight status far more than I look at account, and bottom right is better for the more-used tab than middle right.
Wasn't Account in the bottom right even before recent update? Although I noticed they did just update how the Account page view is formatted.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Wasn't Account in the bottom right even before recent update? Although I noticed they did just update how the Account page view is formatted.
Oh, kind of, I mis-remembered. It was formerly 'more ...' in the bottom right. I think it took up less space than account does now, but flight status was not in the bottom right as I had thought.

Personally I think account should be top right on the home screen and only there. Maybe just me.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Oh, kind of, I mis-remembered. It was formerly 'more ...' in the bottom right. I think it took up less space than account does now, but flight status was not in the bottom right as I had thought.
Oh, that's right. I mainly remember Flight Status not being in the bottom right. I use that one, along with Book Flight, the most, and it's kind of funny that they are both tiny and sandwiched between other links. But I guess it's fine now that I'm used to where they are.

My biggest gripes with the app continue to be 1) Recently searched airports are sorted starting from most recent new airport, so my most commonly searched airports end up at the bottom of the list and eventually off the screen, and 2) If searching Business fares, the results page will shift to the left as I scroll down, causing the Business fares to go off the screen as well (seems to happen more often when there is a PE fare column).
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Oh, that's right. I mainly remember Flight Status not being in the bottom right. I use that one, along with Book Flight, the most, and it's kind of funny that they are both tiny and sandwiched between other links. But I guess it's fine now that I'm used to where they are.

My biggest gripes with the app continue to be 1) Recently searched airports are sorted starting from most recent new airport, so my most commonly searched airports end up at the bottom of the list and eventually off the screen, and 2) If searching Business fares, the results page will shift to the left as I scroll down, causing the Business fares to go off the screen as well (seems to happen more often when there is a PE fare column).
Yes, those are bigger issues! The inverted airport list makes me retype airports instead of finding the most frequent ones at the top. The character matching for suggestions is a bit too loose also. If they'd fix those issues, I'd accept the placement of flight status. I also want to re-gripe about how a 'recent search' expires a day to early, e.g., for search on 11 nov A to B in my recent list, yesterday I could use it with one tap, but then when I try doing it again today it says it's invalid and I have to reselect the calendar date for today.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:32 pm

The inverted airport list makes me retype airports instead of finding the most frequent ones at the top.
Same here. What's frustrating is that it worked fine (sorted oldest to newest) for many years before they broke it a few months ago!

I also want to re-gripe about how a 'recent search' expires a day to early, e.g., for search on 11 nov A to B in my recent list, yesterday I could use it with one tap, but then when I try doing it again today it says it's invalid and I have to reselect the calendar date for today.
The Recent searches also don't seem to work at all with metro airport codes (e.g. NYC, TYO), even though it shows up in the recent search listing. It will error out when selecting it.

It would also be nice if, after doing a "recent search", and then clicking the "back" link on upper left to go back to the flight search page, it would populate the airport/date/etc. fields with the search that it just did. That way it's easier to do similar searches, such as change dates/intermediate airports on multi-city itineraries, without having to fill all the fields back out again.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.