Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2023, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Still TBD on whether 6441 is a write-off... continued delays from A+B (neither 7M10 nor A321XLR are real 767 replacement, but regardless they aren't likely to be in service for a year or longer) and what will likely be a competitve TATL schedule next summer might create an economic justification to do the repair.

Pre-pandemic United invested a fair amount in life extension programs for the 767 fleet, and if the thought is the aircraft can fly reliably for another 2-3 years, we might see it back in service. I'm still not terribly optimistic, but more than I was a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I am now hearing a very credible rumor (so credible, I hesitate to call it a rumor, but I didn't hear it personally, so...) that N641UA will be repaired on-site at IAH with Boeing AOG technicians assisting UA TechOps personnel.

Probably a few months before it's back in service, but the cost of repair is evidently outweighed by the totality of circumstances... not just value of the airframe, but the cash flow it will generate with another year or two of revenue flying without a direct replacement. Pretty cool that a 30+ year old airframe will undergo a major structural repair, and no question it will be stronger than before.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
I am now hearing a very credible rumor (so credible, I hesitate to call it a rumor, but I didn't hear it personally, so...) that N641UA will be repaired on-site at IAH with Boeing AOG technicians assisting UA TechOps personnel.

Probably a few months before it's back in service, but the cost of repair is evidently outweighed by the totality of circumstances... not just value of the airframe, but the cash flow it will generate with another year or two of revenue flying without a direct replacement. Pretty cool that a 30+ year old airframe will undergo a major structural repair, and no question it will be stronger than before.
It seems very logical, particularly given that this seems to be a bit of a "known issue" so I would presume a lot of engineering groundwork has already been done.
SPN Lifer, EWR764 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given the slowdown of 787 deliveries, Im not surprised. Given the age of the aircraft, its probably paid for (and then some), so the repair cost will be recovered.
SPN Lifer, EWR764 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Pretty cool that a 30+ year old airframe will undergo a major structural repair, and no question it will be stronger than before.
Transport jets, properly maintained, can have a long, productive life long after passing 25 or 30 years in service.

In 2011, I was flying DC8s that had been built as early as 1967. One of them is still flying today for Samaritan Purse (though I don't remember the manufacture date for that specific airplane).

If repaired, I would think that the lack of availability of replacements is a big factor. Also, when UA is finished with it, it will be in demand by the ACMI industry as a freighter.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Transport jets, properly maintained, can have a long, productive life long after passing 25 or 30 years in service.

In 2011, I was flying DC8s that had been built as early as 1967. One of them is still flying today for Samaritan Purse (though I don't remember the manufacture date for that specific airplane).

If repaired, I would think that the lack of availability of replacements is a big factor. Also, when UA is finished with it, it will be in demand by the ACMI industry as a freighter.
I saw the Samaritan Purse DC-8 at OSH two years ago... pretty cool! At least with passenger jets, at airline levels of utilization, maintenance, especially HMV, becomes more expensive as the aircraft ages, and reliability suffers as well. Lower utilization patterns with freight flying can stretch those intervals out quite a bit, making it more economical.

30 years of service has traditionally been something of an inflection point for US carrier fleets, so it's notable (and fantastic, IMO) that UA appears committed to keeping a material portion of the fleet in service past that point, including conducting major structural repairs on its oldest frame.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
With the major structural repairs, the 30+ old bird may even have extended its life longer than previously estimated.

My fondest memories of the 763 is the PMUA RTW flight segments between HKG-DEL-LHR in the late 90s.
CJ99, uanj and EWR764 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

One of my favorite (probono) clients has a MD-10 (built as a DC-10 upgraded with MD-11/777 glass cockpit/avionics and the flight engineer removed) -- my profile picture is me standing in the #3 engine of that aircraft. That plane doesn't see as much action as it would have earlier in its career -- when it was flying for Air Florida and FedEx among others -- but it has certainly put its miles and cycles in since first flight on March 19, 1973 -- yep, the frame turned 50 earlier this year. I have absolutely no doubts about its airworthiness and it will probably be in better shape than I am when I visit it in Zambia in just about a month. I know it's better maintained than both my car and the rental car shuttle I rode earlier today
uanj and LaserSailor like this.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Aug 24, 2023 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
One of my favorite (probono) clients has a MD-10 (built as a DC-10 upgraded with MD-11/777 glass cockpit/avionics and the flight engineer removed) -- my profile picture is me standing in the #3 engine of that aircraft. That plane doesn't see as much action as it would have earlier in its career -- when it was flying for Air Florida and FedEx among others -- but it has certainly put its miles and cycles in since first flight on March 19, 1973 -- yep, the frame turned 50 earlier this year. I have absolutely no doubts about its airworthiness and it will probably be in better shape than I am when I visit it in Zambia in just about a month. I know it's better maintained than both my car and the rental car shuttle I rode earlier today
I had an ophthalmologist (since retired) who was very involved in that organization, back in the DC-8 days. I've donated over the years; a great operation.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

Its quite remarkable. Of course, the real money is if that team could do that repair job on people. 😜

If and when its repaired and ready to go, Id love to fly on that plane. I expect well see a lot of concerned posts, but I think aircraft engineers, maintenance crews, etc. do an incredible job!
EWR764 and Gar1P like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Its quite remarkable. Of course, the real money is if that team could do that repair job on people. 😜

If and when its repaired and ready to go, Id love to fly on that plane. I expect well see a lot of concerned posts, but I think aircraft engineers, maintenance crews, etc. do an incredible job!
I wonder how much heavier it will be
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by eng3
I wonder how much heavier it will be
Heavier always comes with age, right? At least that is what I tell myself...
uanj, ContinentalFan and lhrsfo like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1968, 55 years old.
SPN Lifer and DELee like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Look at the B52. True, they don't get the continuous service of a civilian passenger plane, but still evidence that a good design can last for a very long time.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
1968, 55 years old.
Thanks for looking that up!

That's also the only airplane in which I've had an inflight engine shutdown. It was on an overnight flight from Diego Garcia to Singapore. Turned out to have been a bad oil pressure sending giving a false cockpit indication of a bypassed oil filter.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.