FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)
Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:28 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Transport jets, properly maintained, can have a long, productive life long after passing 25 or 30 years in service.

In 2011, I was flying DC8s that had been built as early as 1967. One of them is still flying today for Samaritan Purse (though I don't remember the manufacture date for that specific airplane).

If repaired, I would think that the lack of availability of replacements is a big factor. Also, when UA is finished with it, it will be in demand by the ACMI industry as a freighter.
One of my favorite (probono) clients has a MD-10 (built as a DC-10 upgraded with MD-11/777 glass cockpit/avionics and the flight engineer removed) -- my profile picture is me standing in the #3 engine of that aircraft. That plane doesn't see as much action as it would have earlier in its career -- when it was flying for Air Florida and FedEx among others -- but it has certainly put its miles and cycles in since first flight on March 19, 1973 -- yep, the frame turned 50 earlier this year. I have absolutely no doubts about its airworthiness and it will probably be in better shape than I am when I visit it in Zambia in just about a month. I know it's better maintained than both my car and the rental car shuttle I rode earlier today

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Aug 24, 2023 at 12:36 pm