Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking partner only cash flights on United.com / app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
Archive file: Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA in general has stopped offering itins with no UA operated flight, codeshares or JV flights, Asia, Europe, ...
This has gradually been occurring for years and accelerated with "no change fee" decision.
The IATA also passed a resolution discouraging plating / ticketing flights without a carrier operated flight.
Additionally, many partners have instituted plating restrictions that effectively blocks many routes / fares UA used to offer.

These actions related to cash tickets, award tickets have not been affected
Print Wikipost

Booking partner only cash flights on United.com / app

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
UA in general has stopped offering itins with no UA operated flight, codeshares or JV flights, Asia, Europe, ...
In general, but not absolutely. I don't want to post any details because I don't want to get anyone in possible trouble, but a United agent proactively booked me on a ticket with no UA segments after a ticketing issue. I assumed it wasn't possible, but here we are.

The IATA also passed a resolution discouraging plating / ticketing flights without a carrier operated flight.
Are you sure that wasn't "marketed" as opposed to "operated"? UA issues a ton of codeshare tickets where they are not the operator.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In general, but not absolutely. I don't want to post any details because I don't want to get anyone in possible trouble, but a United agent proactively booked me on a ticket with no UA segments after a ticketing issue. I assumed it wasn't possible, but here we are. ...
Hence the word, generally. There have been others who have been successful in rare cases. Must assurely in irrops or after schedule changes. Did not stated absolutely never. The the general policy is not to do this. Always exceptions.

Are you sure that wasn't "marketed" as opposed to "operated"? UA issues a ton of codeshare tickets where they are not the operator.
Not sure about IATA resolution, can not seem to find it at the moment. But the codeshares exception was clearly called out in the post.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's marketed, but operated, but also it doesn't really matter. That resolution is directed at travel agents.

If there are no plating restrictions on the fare, UA can book it -- but they may still choose not to do so. (Note that award tickets are frequently issued with no UA-operated or UA-coded flights).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Pretty sure I already know the answer (no) — but...

I need to fly TYO > SIN in early March. I'd like to get the most PQPs possible, especially since they're only giving Golds 500 PQPs instead of 1000 this year. Quick Googling showed me an old thread about being unable to get a 016 ticket on a Singapore Airlines flight — but what if I called UA and tried to book on ANA? Could I get a 016 ticket that way?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 10:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cczzll
Pretty sure I already know the answer (no) — but...

I need to fly TYO > SIN in early March. I'd like to get the most PQPs possible, especially since they're only giving Golds 500 PQPs instead of 1000 this year. Quick Googling showed me an old thread about being unable to get a 016 ticket on a Singapore Airlines flight — but what if I called UA and tried to book on ANA? Could I get a 016 ticket that way?
Generally for UA to issue a ticket it needs to have at least one UA operated segment. or a UA labeled codeshare or be joint venture flight or ....
UA has been getting more strict about this in recent years

Additionally the operating airline needs to allow the flight / fare to be plated on a UA ticket stock.

So it is unlikely UA will ticket an ANA only itin for TYO-SIN (unless it is offered as a UA codeshare which I don't see)
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: United Premier Gold
Generally for UA to issue a ticket it needs to have at least one UA operated segment. or a UA labeled codeshare or be joint venture flight or ....
UA has been getting more strict about this in recent years

Additionally the operating airline needs to allow the flight / fare to be plated on a UA ticket stock.

So it is unlikely UA will ticket an ANA only itin for TYO-SIN (unless it is offered as a UA codeshare which I don't see)
Yeah, I used to be able to book domestic ANA flights on the app pre-pandemic. It’s a bummer. I guess I could go to Guam?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 4:10 pm

Can I book Lufthansa on United.com? (some not showing)

So - I am not an expert by any means booking flights on non-US carriers as I have limited experience in this world.
But I am trying to book RDU to FRA (direct on Lufthansa metal). If I search for cash fares, I can't find the direct flight. If I search for award flights, I can see them. I am planning on paying (not using miles), and I have some united flight credits, so that is why I am trying to use united.com vs just booking through Lufthansa. Is this possible?

cheers
Old Dec 5, 2023, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
With very few exceptions, you will only see revenue partner flights if United has a codeshare and if the fare rules allow it to be sold.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 4:24 pm

With very few exceptions, you will only see revenue partner flights if United has a codeshare and if the fare rules allow it to be sold.
gotcha - I thought it is a codeshare, but I could be wrong.

As a follow up - if I book through Liufthansa - can I enter my united FF number to get miles credited to united?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
gotcha - I thought it is a codeshare, but I could be wrong.

As a follow up - if I book through Liufthansa - can I enter my united FF number to get miles credited to united?
Yes, of course. You will earn based on the Lufthansa earnings page on www.mileageplus.com

Note: United does NOT codeshare on the RDU-FRA flight operated by LH. That may change down the road but the reason you're only seeing connecting flights when searching by price is that United generally will not sell you a wholly-operated-by-another-carrier ticket for money. Mileage is a different story as you can use your miles on just about every *A carrier, including LH, and UA doesn't need to have a codeshare number on it.

-RM
SPN Lifer and Scotttyd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.